About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=0e77b9069651d07b0b4f198cdfd20414Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

What's the hold up with my costume submission?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Senate Guards
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mithras ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 8:07 am    Post subject: What's the hold up with my costume submission? Reply with quote

Hello,

I submitted a Senate Guard for approval on August 26th. I have heard nothing from the judges since that time (not even confirmation that the costume was received for judging.) I have a considerable amount of time, research, and money, not to mention man hours, invested in this costume, and I would like an answer on it.

Can someone in the know please tell me whether this costume is going to be approved? Failing that, could I get a confirmation, so that I may sell the costume and move on with my life? There are upcoming events that I had planned to troop with my Senate Guard.

I'm a big boy, and I can handle rejection, but I'd really like an answer,particularly as other costumes, including Senate Guards have been approved in that time.

Thanks,

Alex Bagosy
RebelSenator (Raychel Enck)
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alex,
So sorry you haven't heard yet. It's been my experience that it takes around two weeks. Looks like it's gone on a bit longer for you but it is a very busy time for the legion with elections going. Have you sent a private message to our costume judges? It wouldn't hurt. They are always really good at responding.
Good luck with your costume Very Happy . Sounds like you've put a lot of hard work into it. I know how hard it is to wait when you're excited about your costume!
MidSouth Garrison, Public Relations Officer
http://www.facebook.com/LCJedi
SoloYT1300 (Robert Kohn)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 5 (View more...)
Hurricane Sandy Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can also PM the LMO who is responsible for keeping the costume que moving...

His name is mark... send him a PM with your questions and concerns.

JediMasterMark (Mark Jones)
Mieal Deneb (Rachel Orange)
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Droid Wranglers (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 2:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was some mis-wording of the standards and we tossed things back and forth for a while. It is being worked on, you will get an answer soon. Wink Sorry for the delay.

Did you know that Senate Guards are seen wearing pants type garments under their outer robe but they are never seen wearing an inner robe like the royal guards do? (That was the hold-up, your inner robe- fyi) Inner robes are acceptable, but I myself prefer the pants/tunic or coverall since it can be seen in Ep1.

Miana (Rachel Williams)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 4:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

However, there is no photo evidence of what the ROTS guards wear, only the TPM guards.

"Everytime you're not canon, a fairy dies." - Mike
Mithras ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info, good wishes, and helpful thoughts, everyone.

I prefer the tunic and pants as well (and I am working on this variant for hot days.) However, the only evidence I've seen of tunic and pants with Senate Guards is in the parade scene from Episode One (I believe it's the parade scene) where one of the Guards is clearly shown wearing the tunic/pants combo. Everything else in canon, including Lucasfilm licensed statues by Gentle Giant, discussion in fiction, etc. seems to indicate a similar under robe by the time of Episode Three, although it is quite clear that the Senate Guards were, for the most part, the good guys, and were meant to be distinct and different from the Red Guard/Royal Guard. The one odd exception here is the most recently released ROTS Action Figure for the Senate Guard, which depicts a Guardsman wearing light armor in addition to tunic and pants under the robes. However, to throw a further rock into the works... the official Episode One Guard action figures are wearing under robes.

My confusion was twofold.

First, the standards are somewhat confusing on the issue. I didn't feel that wearing the robes AND tunic/pants together was the intent - it would have been dreadfully uncomfortable, not to mean impractical! So, I erred on the side of choosing one over the other, and since my tailor promised one (tunic/pants) and DELIVERED the other (under robes), I figured that either, so long as it was appropriately styled, would work.

Second, Guards have been approved with robes and tunic/pants in past submissions, some of them quite recently, so I made an educated guess based upon precedent.

I'm happy to try to work on some better CRLs and work with getting resources together for potential Senate Guards in the future if that would be needed. The Guards are becoming one of my favorite subjects. I think we could use some more of these guys... the last heroes of the Republic, after all!

By the way... I'm still not sure whom all the costume judges are. Is there a listing somewhere? I'm guessing there is and I simply missed it.

-Alex
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 3:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, the standards were supposed to be updated to be clearer and they ended up being more confusing. Confused I posted a request to have that cleared up so hopefully it will be done right this time. Rolling Eyes

I know...I've got a soap box here soapbox but I really don't like using anything but the movie and photo shoots of the costumes that were used in the movie for costume construction. We should all know that figures, busts, etc are open to "artistic interpretation". Lucasfilm doesn't really care if something is 100% accurate in order to put licensing on it. (Don't get me started about all the miss-shaped, odd and/or missing parts R2-D2 licensed stuff out there that isn't accurate at all...)

Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 3:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, and Alex, check your email! There's something you've been waiting for... Wink

Mithras ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mieal Deneb wrote:
Oh, and Alex, check your email! There's something you've been waiting for... Wink

Thank you kindly, Madame:)

If there's anything I can do to help the cause of the Senate Guards in the Rebel Legion, please let me know.

For the Republic!

-Alex
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm just excited to see that we are getting more and more Senate Guards. Back when I first started researching this one for my husband there were maybe 1 or 2 that had approval.

starfirephoenix (Alison)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

congratulations on your approval Smile It looks great, I hope it inspires more people to tackle this costume, would love to see more around the legion Smile
matt.elder1971 ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is one costume I'd love to do sometime, especially since my favorite color is blue and I've always liked the RotJ Royal Guard costume. My main problem is that I'm rather short (only 5'3"), so I don't think I'd look quite right.
Mithras ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, keep in mind that the Senate Guard recruited differently than the Royal Guard, and that the two are completely different organizations.

The Senate Guard was recruited from law enforcement agencies and planetary defense forces across the galaxy both within and on the margins of the Old Republic. Candidates were selected based upon excellence in their respective fields and then educated through the Senate Guard Academy on Coruscant.

Where this differs from the Imperial Guard is that many members of the Senate Guard were not front line combat types: they were forensics experts, signal analysts, etc. Everyone knew who was in the Senate Guard (there was no effort made to conceal their identities) and the Senate Guardsmen served in Guard uniform during most of their duties.

Contrast this with the Imperial Guard. Imperial Guardsmen were certainly intelligent, but they were selected from the branches of the Imperial Military only. In addition, noone knew how many recruits were in the Imperial Guard, or their identities. When the Imperial Guard served amongst the regular forces in the field, they did so in regular uniform; while they served in units together, noone would have known, for example, that "that particular unit of Stormtroopers is Imperial Guard" compared to normal TKs.

At any rate, you have a lot of justification for variable heights and statures in both services, but moreso in the Senate Guard, since you aren't necessarily looking for physically imposing specimens so much as intellectually imposing specimens. (This is actually true of the Royal Guard, too, to be fair, but to a far lesser extent.)

At any rate, neither branch was ever made up of clones, so you could justify it that way too. Another way to think about it? So far as I know, the vast majority of the Imperial Guard was human; not so of the Senate Guard, which could have all sorts of recruits, who'd vary dramatically in height (the Trandoshan recruits would, I suspect, be a might bit taller than the Sullustans.)

From a more practical standpoint, the robes and helmet do add a little bit of height. My wife is thinking about doing a Senate Guard or Imperial Guard in the near future. She's not much taller than you are, Matt, and I think she'll look just fine.

My point is this: join us. You'd be most welcome:)

-Alex
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Senate Guards All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: