About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=7b345614328aaa9a5b00dd458d266875Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

The Flight Suit
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Pilots -> X-Wing Pilots
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JustND1998 ()

Medals: None

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 1:16 am    Post subject: The Flight Suit Reply with quote

Hi Everyone,

After my first Star Wars Celebration experience, I am inspired to create my Rebel Pilot costume as soon as I can. I've looked up some of the resources, but I'm already stuck on what I think will be the first part of the costume - The orange flight suit.

One of the pages refers people to this site:
http://www.workingclassclothes.com/home.php?cat=256

But which coverall am I supposed to use? It may seem really obvious, but not being able to really SEE one, I just want to make sure I get it right on the first try.

Any help would be AMAZING!
Justin
HazardThree (Jon Paulson)
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On that page, you'd want to use the "Action Back Long Sleeve Twill Coverall" in Orange.

Cool

JustND1998 ()

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for clearing that up! Smile

I was looking around, and there's been mentioning of suits created by MonCal. Are those still available? How does one go about ordering that?

That seems like the easier solution.
JediXXL (Gil Guemes)
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would send him a PM asking for the details because you'll need to be a full member to be able see that information thread.

DXO • RLSC

There is NO Orange Mafia
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Mithras ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JustND1998 wrote:

I was looking around, and there's been mentioning of suits created by MonCal. Are those still available? How does one go about ordering that?

Be advised that ordering from Mon Cal will often be an exercise in patience. You may wait some time before your product is delivered.

-A.
HazardThree (Jon Paulson)
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another maker is Claudio from Argentina Props (formerly Customs-props). I've his gear and it's great. But again, since he makes it custom to your measurements, be prepared to wait.

WedgeAntilles (James Norman)
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

Medals: 2 (View more...)
Rebel Legion CV Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mithras wrote:
JustND1998 wrote:

Be advised that ordering from Mon Cal will often be an exercise in patience. You may wait some time before your product is delivered.

-A.

The flightsuits are already made. Once he gets through his queue of paid for suits, there's not going to be a wait time unless the specified size and color is out of stock. THEN you're going to be waiting, but its my understanding that they did order more flightsuits than were spoken for.
Mithras ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's the rub. There are customers who ordered a month or more before Celebration VI, and still don't have their flightsuits. Communication is also an issue.

This isn't a reflection on MC's character - he's a very nice guy. But he does have a tendency to disappear from communications for weeks at a time.

You may well receive something from Claudio before you get something from Cal. I can't speak to the price difference, as I haven't bought this particular item from Cal, but most of my flight gear is from Claudio. It was about a five week wait from start to finish for completion, but due to the tornadoes in Argentina at the time, took another two weeks.

If ordering from Claudio, ask him for an ETA and add about two weeks to the quoted delivery time; that's usually a good rule of thumb, and has applied to just about every purchase I've made from him.

-Alex
BobaFuss (Doug Cottrell)
Canadian Base CO
Canadian Base CO

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ordered mine from Cal and wore it at CVI.

Rebel Legion Canadian Base C.O.
501st Legion Canadian Garrison G.M.L.
Mithras ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, and there are others who did not receive them.
Ravenwood (Jeremy Horn)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HazardThree wrote:
Another maker is Claudio from Argentina Props (formerly Customs-props). I've his gear and it's great. But again, since he makes it custom to your measurements, be prepared to wait.

I also got mine from Claudio and it is very well made, his communication was outstanding also. Wait time was a little longer but I expected but was never give shallow promises.
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And another recommendation for Claudio, I have two from him.

Top quality material, construction details are excellent - all seams serged, no loose threads - all seam and pockets are correct, including the two chest seams that cannot easily be added to an existing suit.

And - custom made to your measurements.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

how would one get a hold of claudio? do i post an inquiry on custom-props.com or does he have another contact info?
Admiral ED (Eduardo Jara)
Captain of the Guard
Captain of the Guard

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 2:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good question. How do I get in touch with Claudio.

Comunication will be smoothly if both speak our language Mr. Green

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had ordered two flightsuits from Mon Cal, and got them quite early compared to from what I have seen on the message boards. I have had them for about a month now.

It is the most accurate flightsuit I have seen, but I have not seen Claudio's yet.

There are (at least) two different types of flight suits seen in the movies. I think that there was only one in ANH, which had squared pocket flaps. Then there was one with chevron pocket flaps that was seen mostly on Imperials in ESB and ROTJ. I have seen only evidence that the second type would have had a pointed neck. Mon Cal's suit is sort of a blend of both, with squared pocket flaps and a pointed neck, and this would be intentional. Make something that could be easily customized into either type.
I ripped the seam of the neck of mine, folded and pressed it in and stitched it. It was not much work and the point in the neck could be redone if evidence of a point would surface.

"Accurate Flight Suits" made accurate.

While the workmanship and fit of the suits is quite good, it is not perfect. Even though I had ordered them in the same size (Large), there are slight dimensional differences. One of my suits fit me perfectly, while the other was somewhat tighter in the groin, but not that it would hurt. (My previous Costume Base suit was worse, and a I trooped a lot in that).
The zipper flap is not perfectly centred along its length and the distance between the flap and pockets is a little bit different on both suits and on either side.

I thought that the elastic in the waist would have been tighter. I can hardly feel it.

I think that the pointed tab on the collar should have been 1/8 inch longer. On of my suits had a piece of sticky paper stitched into the pointed tab, and it looked bad, so I had to rip the seam and restitch it to get the sticker out.

Bah. I'm nit picking to the extreme. It is lightyears ahead of the Costume Base suit that I had used earlier. I had needed to alter that one much more.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Pilots -> X-Wing Pilots All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: