About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=3ecd59f5da117acc45f8931de5ad6373Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Rubies Chewbacca

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Chewbacca and Other Wookiees
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bigben ()

Medals: None

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 1:57 pm    Post subject: Rubies Chewbacca Reply with quote

I come from the 501st, so I understand what rubies is all about and how there are very few things they make that can ever be used by "screen acurate" standards. (and they usually take a lot of time and mods. to make them work)

I do question the Rubies Chewbacca suit. is it just the fur quality?
I could tell the bandolier is crap, and has to go,
The feet and hands would need an upgrade,
And the mask looks cheap,

But can anyone tell me for sure? maybe its a few things, but not bad in total. I most likely wouldnt troop with it, but maybe it would make a good second suit at a con.

Anyone get one and make it a good suit? any sugestions?
GotWookiee (Matt Pfingsten)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greetings and welcome! What garrison are you with?

Yes, it really is the poor hair quality. It looks like a cheap anime wig. The hair used to have a really dark, desaturated color, which looked more like a dirty mop. Recently they "upgraded" it to the point where the colors or so intense it looks like a cartoon.

Its also the lack of any variation in the color. Real hair always had many different colors. When we build our wookiees, we blend a couple of colors together to get a realistic look.

The hair is also incredibly sparse. There are several inches in many cases between the wefts. Especially on the shoulders. One the of challenges is matching the hair when you fill it in. Very difficult to do because all the hair you can buy is so much better than the stuff Rubies uses.

It's also at least twice as much as a latch hook suit, and then you'll spend half as much again "upgrading" it. And in the end you will still have a mediocre suit at best.

The latch hook method is neither hard nor expensive. It is time consuming but once you have the basic technique down it's not bad. Watch some TV or listen to an audio book while you do it.

A couple of years ago Duck figured out how to blend the hair together and get it looking really good with a blow dryer. Since then everyone has done that.

The mask is another area. It looks awful and since it is made of latex you will never get the moving mouth to work. For that mechanism to function you need a very soft skin, typically a silicone based rubber like Ecoflex, DragonSkin, or Gel-10. The jaw mechanism isn't all that hard now either. Someone figured out how to do it in 2005 and since then no one has done a static mask.

Presently its theoretically possible to upgrade a Rubies Chewie to the bare minimum of Legion standards. One person has done it. Bear in mind when it was approved it was over the protest of two of the LCJ's (myself being one of them).
I wouldn't expect that to last much longer. There have been some informal discussions about revising the Wookiee standards and the Rubies costume will probably be added to the list of inadmissible materials, which presently includes yarn, faux fur, and shag carpet.

Chewie is not nearly as difficult as people think. There are tons of people with little or no experience who tackle it and end up with great results. I'm i the process of putting together a whole video series that shows how to make the suit from start to finish.

Chewie is to the Rebel Legion what Boba Fett is to the 501st. Both costumes involve a lot of work, but both costumes are supported by a lot of how to information and a solid community of costumers who help others with their builds. You also have a Rubies Supreme Edition suit for both characters.
The Rubies suits of both characters are not too horrifying and they do make kids happy, but the Legions have always been about doing more than just the bare minimum.

Chewie probably has more "how to" information than any other star wars costume, and you have a ton of people who will help you with everything along the way. If you put your mind to it and forget about how hard it is, before you know it, you will have a rockin' costume that will blow everything else out of the water.
Lumpy (Chris Blackstock)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 2 (View more...)
CVI Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GotWookiee wrote:
Greetings and welcome! What garrison are you with?

Yes, it really is the poor hair quality. It looks like a cheap anime wig. The hair used to have a really dark, desaturated color, which looked more like a dirty mop. Recently they "upgraded" it to the point where the colors or so intense it looks like a cartoon.

Its also the lack of any variation in the color. Real hair always had many different colors. When we build our wookiees, we blend a couple of colors together to get a realistic look.

The hair is also incredibly sparse. There are several inches in many cases between the wefts. Especially on the shoulders. One the of challenges is matching the hair when you fill it in. Very difficult to do because all the hair you can buy is so much better than the stuff Rubies uses.

It's also at least twice as much as a latch hook suit, and then you'll spend half as much again "upgrading" it. And in the end you will still have a mediocre suit at best.

The latch hook method is neither hard nor expensive. It is time consuming but once you have the basic technique down it's not bad. Watch some TV or listen to an audio book while you do it.

A couple of years ago Duck figured out how to blend the hair together and get it looking really good with a blow dryer. Since then everyone has done that.

The mask is another area. It looks awful and since it is made of latex you will never get the moving mouth to work. For that mechanism to function you need a very soft skin, typically a silicone based rubber like Ecoflex, DragonSkin, or Gel-10. The jaw mechanism isn't all that hard now either. Someone figured out how to do it in 2005 and since then no one has done a static mask.

Presently its theoretically possible to upgrade a Rubies Chewie to the bare minimum of Legion standards. One person has done it. Bear in mind when it was approved it was over the protest of two of the LCJ's (myself being one of them).
I wouldn't expect that to last much longer. There have been some informal discussions about revising the Wookiee standards and the Rubies costume will probably be added to the list of inadmissible materials, which presently includes yarn, faux fur, and shag carpet.

Chewie is not nearly as difficult as people think. There are tons of people with little or no experience who tackle it and end up with great results. I'm i the process of putting together a whole video series that shows how to make the suit from start to finish.

Chewie is to the Rebel Legion what Boba Fett is to the 501st. Both costumes involve a lot of work, but both costumes are supported by a lot of how to information and a solid community of costumers who help others with their builds. You also have a Rubies Supreme Edition suit for both characters.
The Rubies suits of both characters are not too horrifying and they do make kids happy, but the Legions have always been about doing more than just the bare minimum.

Chewie probably has more "how to" information than any other star wars costume, and you have a ton of people who will help you with everything along the way. If you put your mind to it and forget about how hard it is, before you know it, you will have a rockin' costume that will blow everything else out of the water.

Other than this, it's a fine piece of work!! Laughing Laughing

Medals: None

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you that was just the kind of input I was hoping to hear. I will skip the cheap suits, and I would love to start working on a good version. Got plenty of time, but the funds are sparse, so it sounds like a better fit anyway. Do most people start by getting the hair and making the suit? Or do you start with the mask or something?
What kind of suit do you start with to add hair to? And what is a good inexpensive hair option? If its not too bad I might get started very soon, I am 6'5" and I an told often that I should do a wookie (doesn't even have to be chewbacca, but it might as well be)

And I am from the Mountain Garrison, Pikes peak squad (Colorado springs CO)
Lumpy (Chris Blackstock)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 2 (View more...)
Rebel Legion CV Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First suggestion is to do a bunch of reading throughout the Fringe section here. Matt has a TON of advice and hints on his site, and you can look over other people's (mine included) build threads and questions that they have asked and had answered.

Most of the answers you seek will be found in the Fringe section somewhere. Research is your best friend. Once you've looked around a while, if you still can't find what you want to know, then by all means ask away.

A Wookiee costume (and yes, there are 2 e's in Wookiee) is a marathon, not a sprint. There are no real shortcuts to getting one done and done well.
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool. How long have you been in the Legion? Do you know Leah D'Andrea? She used to live in Denver but moved here to Tennessee a few years back.

You can start with whatever part you want. A lot of folks start with the suit.

My recommendation is to start with the feet. Weather you go with stilts or platforms/lifts will dicate how you build your suit, and its also a good start in basic sculpting and mold making. Once you have your feet, jump into the suit.

Here are some resources I have put together:

First is my Chewbacca Costuming Resources Page which is a kind of FAQ on Wookiee builds. Be aware that it hasn't been updated in four years, and we've learned a lot since then. I've been putting together a new and improved guide:
Chewbacca Costuming Guide this one has far more up to date information and is better organized, but still very incomplete.

Also be sure to check out the Fringe Tutorials forum as well.

For reference images, I have an extensive library consisting of scans from numerous books, screen shots from the blu-rays, various behind the scenes videos, several exhibits, and so on.

The Mighty Chewbacca

The Revenge of the Sith Wookiee Warriors
  1. Eugroothwa
  2. Grakchawa
  3. Guanta
  4. Lachichuk
  5. Merumeru
  6. Salporin
  7. Tarfful
  8. Wookiee Weapons
The Star Wars Holiday Special Wookiees
  1. Attichitcuk aka "Itchy" (Chewie's dad)
  2. Lumpawarrump aka "Lumpy" (Chewie's son)
  3. Mallatobuck aka "Malla" (Chewie's wife)
Other Wookiees
  1. Senator Yarua
  2. Snoova/Chewie in Snoova Disguise
Complete Wookiee Reference Library
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Chewbacca and Other Wookiees All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: