About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=c18809e09e81912bebcc5323a56aac2eMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Poor Mans Jedi Belt (Tutorial included)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi -> Jedi Tutorials
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bryman ()

Medals: None

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 9:08 am    Post subject: Poor Mans Jedi Belt (Tutorial included) Reply with quote

POOR MANS JEDI BELT
Okay, so two weeks from the Comic Gaming & Anime Show, a local convention, I decided I need a costume. I have a mandolorian costume, but I didnt have a handler for the day, so I needed something more simple, softer, less... helmeted. So Jedi! But wait, Im gonna need that awesome belt, but short on cash and and even more short on time, what was a Jedi to do? Luckily I am pretty creative! So with items I found around my house I made a Jedi belt, and here's how I did it.

I started with some craft foam. One large sheet was enough for me and I were a XL-2XL shirt.

I cut it in to 3 sections, each one 3 times the width of my regular belt which worked out to 4 inches each.

Then I cut faux leather contact paper big enough to cover each sheet of craft foam. I found this stuff at Home Depot.

Next I glued the craft foam strips end to end with hot glue, then used the edge of the glue gun to smooth out the bead of glue. I used this technique on ever other part hot glued.

Then I added 2 strips of duct tape to the back to strengthen the belt down the whole length.

I covered the front of the foam with the contact paper next.

Then you've got to make sure it stays on, so you've gotta hot glue the contact paper on. I added a glue to the edge of the foam and then more glue along the edge of the contact paper.

After trying it on I realized i needed something to hold my normal belt in place so after looking at some pictures of the Jedi belt, I figured I could use thumb tacks, and it kind of looks like whats on the actual belt. Make sure you bend the tack before you add it to your belt, or it might be pretty uncomfortable.

Then to make sure it doesnt become a pain in your side add a little hot glue over the business end of the tacks and cover it with foam for extra saftey.

Now clear belt holders just look silly, so I painted them boltgun metal with citadel paints.

After sliding my regular belt in between the thumb tacks I ended up with this:

So a few hours later, and a grand total of $0 spent on this I have the poor mans Jedi belt. Obviously its not screen accurate, and probably wont hold up for to very long but i think it looks pretty good for free!
SithariRog (Roger Allen)
Legion Membership Officer
Legion Membership Officer

Medals: 2 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A good effort with a nice result, considering the materials used and time spent. I would point out that there would be some expense if one didn't have these materials around the house.

And from a technical and judging point of view, I don't think this belt would be approved as a costume component for formal status. I know you've implied as much, but I wanted to reemphasize this point.

Again, thanks for the tutorial and the information. Such techniques can be used in developing other costume components. Especially in the sculpting/mock up phase!

Past Offices: Asst. LMO, Legion Costume Judge, DCO KJO, BCO Tranquility Base
bryman ()

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're right, this could be costly if I didnt have the stuff laying around.
Navajo Bro ()
Echo Base XO
Echo Base XO

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even if it wouldn't pass for technical and "official" RL approval, it's always cool to see people come up with great ideas using commonly found items and simple assembly methods to come up with a great looking costume part for their fun gear.

I know I did this type of thing myself in the past, finding stuff around the house or in local stores that I could easily put together for pretty good costumes (which ultimately led to passion for joining groups like this and the 501st).

Stuff like this is also great for putting together kid's costumes, since many times they grow so fast you need to replace things regularly and if you are doing it to full blown standards you'll go broke (I know hahaha).

TB/TI/TK/TS/TX/CC/BH-8869
501st Legion
Northeast Remnant XO

501st Legion Trooper of the Month - July 2012
Special Ops Squad Leader - October 2012
First Ever 501st Legion approved Snow Scout
bryman ()

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah building this costume has made me interested in joining costuming groups. I'm working on joining the dark empire because this costume turned out becoming a dark jedi. but i plan on doing a normal generic jedi and joining you guys over here eventually!
Mihunai (Jermain Palmen)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 4:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You do know that, as long as the requirements are met,
all black Jedi are accepted, right?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi -> Jedi Tutorials All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: