About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=8e7b9d7c79ffe4e4ba9721876274b452Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Slave Leia - From Sculpt to Finish
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Leia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ekeia27iclo (Paige)
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 3:00 am    Post subject: Slave Leia - From Sculpt to Finish Reply with quote

So.... Something I thought I'd never do but I'm making a Slave Leia outfit. From scratch. Sculpting, molding, casting, sewing, etc. Here's my WIP thread for anyone interested. Started all of this today around 3pm central.

Here's the very first thing I did. Warmed up my plastalina to a paste consistency and spread it over my plastic-wrapped dress-form.

Started carving out the basic shape of the bikini top. Wasn't too worried with quality at the moment because I'd be texturing it later. I just needed the shape to be right.

With the exception of the arms under the bikini, I've got the basics of the shape down. I'm leaving those til last because they're not wanting to stick well enough to the plastic wrap for me to be able to work on them and have them stay in the shape I put them in.

I've already started working on adding the textural details to the bikini and refining the smooth parts. I would put up a picture but my camera is being stupid now and not uploading new pictures to my computer.[/img]
Sheikahchica (Lindsay S.)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks great so far! Smile Looking forward to seeing how this progresses!
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very interesting! I look forward to seeing this progress. Cool

http://headoftheclones.proboards59.com/index.cgi -if you like FF of the crazy kind. Wink Clone Leader
Travelsized ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is amazing! I cant wait to see more!
ekeia27iclo (Paige)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Time for update #2. As of this moment, the sculpt for the bikini top is done. Tomorrow I'll go by Brick In The Yard Mold Supply and pick up some silicone for the mold and try to get that done this weekend. And now for pictures...

Gravity doesn't like me too much. I kept trying to work on one side and the other side would fall off. After the second time this happened I decided to use hot glue around the edges of the clay to keep it in position and it will also work as a seal between the bottom of the clay and the silicone when I make the mold.

Finished sculpt on my dressform covered in plastic wrap. Also, if you look at the tape underneath, you'll see hemlines for my Ahsoka I'm also working on Razz

Side View

Close up to see texture... but seeing this reminds me I need to go stick on some beads for those small raised bumps you see on the original.

Went to JoAnn's, found these 3 suedes. This isn't the best picture to represent the colors so I'll have to go play around with my new DSLR to get some good photos. Not sure which color I want to go with but I've got some of all 3 so I can choose after I get my pieces casted and painted.
Bossk (Tony Piccolo)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

looking awesome Paige!!!! Cool
Obi1kenny (Ken Tarleton)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 2 (View more...)
Philippines Typhon Relief (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice work Paige. Cool

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Lora Skywalker ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice! Mr. Green

To the suede: I think the top two might be best, but of course it depends on how the colors works in other types of lighting. If the green gets greener I don't think I'd choose that. But very nice fabrics all of them.

http://headoftheclones.proboards59.com/index.cgi -if you like FF of the crazy kind. Wink Clone Leader
RebelSenator (Raychel Enck)
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is looking great. Does plastalina have to be heated to harden? If so, how will you heat it?
MidSouth Garrison, Public Relations Officer
http://www.facebook.com/LCJedi
Naergi ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RebelSenator wrote:
This is looking great. Does plastalina have to be heated to harden? If so, how will you heat it?

Plastalina doesn't harden at all; it's modeling clay.
My best guess would be that the shapes Paige so fabulously made will be used to cast a negative mold from them; and then *that* mold will be used to cast another positive; maybe using latex.

Did I mention I totally love the work on this? So few people actually dare to even just try to work with materials beyond fabrics and beads; and this looks really nice.
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, I see. I agree that this is really a fun build and I can't wait to see it progress.
ekeia27iclo (Paige)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naergi wrote:
RebelSenator wrote:

Plastalina doesn't harden at all; it's modeling clay.
My best guess would be that the shapes Paige so fabulously made will be used to cast a negative mold from them; and then *that* mold will be used to cast another positive; maybe using latex.

You're exactly right. I've been sculpting pieces out of Plastalina. It's an oil based clay so it never dries out. Heat actually helps melt it which makes the process of sculpting the clay and smoothing it out much easier.

I will be making negative molds out of it with a platinum silicone which provides the best detail. I've actually already started molding some of the pieces, figuring out which techniques will work best. I'll put up some photos a bit later today.
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool. Can't wait to see them.
femtrooper julie ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh wow, looking great!

http://femtrooperjulie.webs.com
ekeia27iclo (Paige)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So... I worked some more on sculpting last week, as well as playing with some of the platinum silicone I bought to make the molds. Here goes:

Here were some shots of the armband sculpt. Again, I haven't put the beads on yet, but I'll do that before I try and mold it again.

A few small pieces to make the earrings. I've got some gold hoops to use as the base for the earrings and will work on cutting them when I'm back home this weekend and have access to my dad's tools.

I did have some more photos of my trials with the silicone.. those pictures have disappeared. Oh well, when I redo the molds for good I'll be using my new Canon Rebel T3i and won't be losing those photos. However, I learned several things in test molding, just a few of which I've listed:
1) Make sure there's some type of seal between the clay and the surface the clay is on. I didn't do this on my arm band and consequently the silicone slid underneath the clay and essentially made a mold of the bottle and not the arm band.
2) Make sure to mold when it's warmer. The day I was molding (because I couldn't wait to play with new materials, even though I knew better) it took forever to gel and set, which probably helped in most of the silicone running off the sculpt and onto the cardboard that was underneath.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Leia All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: