Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=36bd9e8fe2a1d52ab02a67e3d5ad42caMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Feezle's WIP (Wookiee in progress) - Sculpt feedback needed!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Chewbacca and Other Wookiees
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Feezle ()
Rebel Legion Reserve

Medals: None

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I've been a slacker...didn't touch it again until yesterday. I've been busy but I need to make time for Chewie.

Last night I took the pants in another inch and a half or so. I also did this:

It looks much better in natural light. You can't see any of the grey strands in the pic.

Tonight I'm going to start on the other leg so I can keep the colors fairly consistent. My shoulder is killing me.

This is almost two full bags. Feedback?
Active Legion Member

Medals: 2 (View more...)
Rebel Legion CV Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking good so far.
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know this feedback is late, but here goes.

Feezle wrote:
I'm thinking the muzzle is a bit shallow and a little wide. Still doable?

Yeah, pretty much everyone's first attempt at Chewie will have a muzzle that is either too shallow or too wide/round. I don't think anyone has gotten it right the first time. You just don't realize what the shape of the muzzle is until you actually build it.

There is such a gradual slope of the face starting at the forehead and nose that you don't realize just how deep the muzzle actually is.

Remember that the muzzle is deep enough to have all of the teeth, the tongue, the tongue mechanism, and even the back fo the mouth in front of Peter's mouth.

The teeth are arranged in more of a U shape like your own natural mouth. Most of us end up doing a C shape and making the jaw the same width as the whole face.

It's almost as if someone made a casting of your own teeth and placed them in front of your mouth. That's how I think about it, anyway.
Feezle wrote:

The other thing I see here is that the hinge is way too low and not back far enough. The hinge actually needs to be aligned with your own jaw hinge, which is actually pretty close to your ear lobes. It takes some trial and error to find the right point. Eventually you should be able to open and close the jaw completely.

Bottom line is you've got a good first mask, and you've made some good observations about the muzzle and other issues, so your next one will really rock.

Keep up the good work. Lookin' forward to seeing this come together.
SoloYT1300 (Robert Kohn)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 5 (View more...)
Hurricane Sandy Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What Matt said about the placement of the hinge is spot on advice!

If the hinge is in front of your natural jaws hinge... you will create a natural bind, making it harder for your mouth function to work.
Feezle ()
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the feedback guys. Very slow going with this costume. I can't bring myself to latch hook consistently so I end up doing a couple hours here and a couple hours there. I'm working hard on losing weight for my Daryl Dixon costume for Ohio Comic Con at the end of this month so I'm hoping once that is over, I'll have some more time to devote to Chewie.

Given the things that you guys pointed out, I'm wondering if it would be worthwhile to just have a new mask made. I would hate to put hours more work into something that doesn't have the potential to come out great. I would fix the hinge but there isn't anything that can be done about the snout and the teeth at this stage. I'll have to think on it and see what my money situation is when I get to the point of working on the mask. I still haven't had a chance to pick it up yet, so I'm curious to see what it looks like in person.
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finish the one you've got. Learn all you can from the build and then take those lessons with you for the next mask.
Zaxmon (Ryan Ricks)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 5:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GotWookiee wrote:
Finish the one you've got. Learn all you can from the build and then take those lessons with you for the next mask.

Good advice.
Kallabeccani (Angela Basinger)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the mouth is in more of a U shape why couldn't one buy a mouth guard to help with the shape? Would that not give the same basic structure?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
GotWookiee (Matt Pfingsten)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats a pretty good idea, actually.
SoloYT1300 (Robert Kohn)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 5 (View more...)
Philippines Typhon Relief (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is exactly why we must always listen to new members... you just never know when they say something brilliant!

That may be one of the best ideas to gain the proper shape I have heard in a very long time! It's one of the most common first mistakes wookiees make when they sculpt the mask.

Brilliant!
Kallabeccani (Angela Basinger)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Um... thank you. I am blushing now lol. But really it was something Matt said, when he mentioned another full set of teeth in front of the mouth. I first thought of dentures but too expensive then thought of the mouth guard.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Chewbacca and Other Wookiees All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: