About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=4fffa8a93b80aee3c862edcfca4dc0d7Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

New member from Central Ontario

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Rebel Bases N. America -> Canadian Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Obi-Dar (Darren)

Medals: None

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:23 pm    Post subject: New member from Central Ontario Reply with quote

Hello everyone! My name is Darren, and I just signed up last night. I use the screen name Obi-Dar on several other forums, so I used it here too. Let me tell you a little about myself.

I am 40 years old. I am married, and we have a six year old son who is as much a fan of Star Wars as I am. I live in Central Ontario on the edge of cottage country, and I work in retail. I am a member of the forums at The Custom Saber Shop, FX Sabers, and The RPF.

I have been involved in the costume and prop hobby since August 2007, when I first signed up at TCSS and built my first lightsaber. Shortly after that, I made my first Jedi costume and attended Fan Expo in Toronto. With the exception of last year, (when I had a scheduling conflict,) I have attended every year since.

I greatly enjoy costuming, and have had a great time mingling with other costumers at Fan Expo. I would like to join The Rebel Legion so I can have fun trooping with other fans more than once a year. I love the fact that you raise money for children's charities as well. I can definitely get behind that.

I have been working on my costume for a while now, and with the addition of the new belt I just finished, I am hoping it is up to your standards. I can take better pictures, but here are a couple from this year's Fan Expo.

I'm the good looking one on the left. wink2 The Predator is my friend James.

This is the new belt.

I would appreciate your feedback, and I am looking forward to getting to know some other fans.

Darren
miqt (Mike)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome brother. The belt looks just fine to me for an old republic generic. The food capsule greeblies may need to be sprayed to screen accurate colors unless there are examples of matte grey in source material. Maybe it doesn't matter- they look good. Where on the doorstep to cottage country do you live? I just moved from bobcaygeon back to the family farm outside port perry. Hope to hear more from you and keep up the good work!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the welcome! Generic Old Republic Jedi was what I was aiming for.

The food capsules were brush painted with silver model paint. I have four more of the Staedtler pen caps, and some chrome silver spray paint. I can do them up properly before I submit for approval. What do you think about the pre-made ones that sell on eBay? Are they OK?

I'm north of Barrie on the east side of Georgian Bay. I was born and raised here, but I am considering moving further south to find better work. Are there many members from Central Ontario?

These are my boots. They're a little shorter than I would like, but I got a really good deal on them, and they are amazingly comfortable. I walked around in them for two days at Fan Expo, and had no blisters or sore legs.

This is my lightsaber. It is a brass and copper custom saber built around parts from TCSS.
BobaFuss (Doug Cottrell)
Canadian Base CO
Canadian Base CO

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's looking good. Feel free to post in the Jedi Knights section too for feedback from other members who do that costume. Do you plan to make a robe too?

Once you are satisfied that you have met the requirements for a costume, fill out the application at the top of the page. In the RL, each costume is judged by a panel of judges. This ensures consistency among all the Bases.

Rebel Legion Canadian Base C.O.
501st Legion Canadian Garrison G.M.L.
miqt (Mike)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 5:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The eBay belt greebs are not as accurate. They are generally electroplated though and they are more durable than the accurate pen lids!! By far. I know that they will meet approval since others with quality Jedi have used them. I use the pen caps but their finish needs touch ups often and the break quite easily.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! I think I'll pick up a set on pay day. I'm working on a pair of leather pouches to match my belt. I'll post pictures when it's done.
Sister Sola ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Rebel Bases N. America -> Canadian Base All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: