About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=547b824838bcd69e12eb4a8164d8af5eMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

RFT shirt cuffs

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Alliance Infantry Detachment -> A New Hope
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PrimitiveTodd ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 4:59 pm    Post subject: RFT shirt cuffs Reply with quote

Has anyone tried to modify a military shirt that has cuffs and an opening into a cuffless, more accurate shirt? If so, how do you sew up the opening above the cuff so that there is minimal appearance to it, but leave it wide enough to get a hand through?

"Any pilot who volunteers to fly an A-wing better be brave or crazy. Probably helps to be a little of both."
―General Han Solo
Jawa Juice (Matthew Joyce)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The way sgt.sundead and I did it was we tucked the cuff inside the shirt and used a sewing machine or serger machine to tighten up the detail on the cuffs...makes it come out all nice and clean.
Active Legion Member

Medals: 2 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quick phone pic of how I did ours.

I just folded back about 1/2 inch for the hem line. Then used a tight side to side stitch to close up the gap. The trick is to take your shirt with you to the fabric store and get a really close match to the thread.

Best of luck.

-Sean
Jawa Juice (Matthew Joyce)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 3:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That works too. either way is just as easy and looks great Very Happy just make sure you either hand stitch or use a sewing machine.
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the advice. I think I will have to do a thick hem like in your photo. My issue is the shirt is rather tight on me and I am hoping I can get my hand through when sewn up... Confused

"Any pilot who volunteers to fly an A-wing better be brave or crazy. Probably helps to be a little of both."
―General Han Solo
Schph Gochi (Phyllis Schulte)
Nar Shaddaa Base XO
Nar Shaddaa Base XO

Medals: 11 (View more...)
Gold Star (Amount: 2)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for sharing...both of you..

removing the cuffs is really a nice touch that I do love to see (along with the pockets on the back...lol..)

Jawa Juice wrote:
The way sgt.sundead and I did it was we tucked the cuff inside the shirt and used a sewing machine or serger machine to tighten up the detail on the cuffs...makes it come out all nice and clean.

This is also a GREAT idea....

I have 2 RFT shirts...the Navy work shirt one...I had to basically do the same as was done with the "hole" left when removing the cuff and trim...
I seamed it from the backside though using the narrowest seam I could get away with..

the second shirt I have was made from a different kind of shirt..
the arms were so long (cuz I got really short arms)
..that I was able to remove the entire cuff and opening and make a regular hem on the sleeve...

http://livefromthegalaxyfarfaraway.blogspot.com/
PrimitiveTodd ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes Schph, I like the ideas too. With the shirt I have currently, I was able to take the cuffs off since the sleeves were long, but the opening above them still exists and hasn't been to fun. I just actually purchased 2 Navy shirts and will be making another shirt soon, but the sleeves will have to keep the cuffs.

―General Han Solo
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Alliance Infantry Detachment -> A New Hope All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: