About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=45ea2db78e9f48ccf71f658c4193ca1aMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Satele Shan Inspired Lightsaber
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi -> Lightsabers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rogue9607 (Nick)
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 5:45 pm    Post subject: Satele Shan Inspired Lightsaber Reply with quote

This thread is being stickied because it is an incredible tutorial on how to build a lightsaber with detailed etching techniques.

-Roger "SithariRog" Allen, DCO, KJO
I've been on the board here for a while as I worked on a couple of projects and finally have one nearly-complete that I wanted to share. This project has kept me from putting the final touches on my Jedi costume, and now that it's mostly out of the way, I hope to be officially joining you soon!

Late last year when SW:TOR launched, my wife saw Satele Shan's lightsaber in the Hope trailer and immediately said "I want her saber, but with a Tiffany Blue blade!" Having never built a saber before, or worked with metal, I initially brushed it off as something crazy I'd never be able to do. However, like many things that sound crazy at first, it planted a seed and soon I found myself researching what went into building a saber. To my amazement, I found myself thinking I could actually do it!

I started with an order of aluminum tubing and sheet aluminum, and after many challenging hours, I managed to assemble a nearly-final product five hours before Celebration VI began. (a deadline I'd been telling myself I would make after having the project slip past my wife's birthday)

My wife has named this saber "Holly" (after "Holly Golightly" from "Breakfast at Tiffany's"). So, I'm proud to present... Holly!

Some of the color options: Tiffany Blue, Red, Green, and Blue

Thanks for looking!
miralys51 (Jackie)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 3 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice! Congrats on a sharp-looking design Very Happy

I'd love to learn more about the build process for something like this.
rogue9607 (Nick)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have quite a few pictures from the process. I'll try to cover it all without going too far overboard... Please let me know if you have any questions.

First, I needed to get a good reference shot to design from, so I broke the Hope trailer into frame-by-frame screenshots. This one was the best I could find and used it as the base for my Sketchup model.

I started with a 2D view to visualize how the different pieces fit together and eventually made a 3D version.

I never got a shot of the materials as the came out of the box, but this was just after I got things cut to rough length.

I should mention that I don't really have any metal-working tools, just woodworking tools. So, I got creative with a lot of my setups/jigs. This was my jig for cutting the tubes to length.

I used a disc sander and a guide block to generally square up/finish the cuts.

Since I lack both a lathe and a mill, I put the radial arm saw to use. I do not recommend this setup, but it ultimately worked. I used a dremel bit along with a series of very thin shims so that I could make *very* small passes.

Eventually I had the grooves all done and dry fit things together to see the general proportion.

The angles on the end were also done on the RAS with lots of small passes.

I rough cut the fin pieces on the band saw and then finished them up with a lot of time filing and sanding.

For the switch bodies, I first cut blocks to the right length/width and then hollowed out the back so they'd sit on the hilt. After that I cut away as much as I could on the bandsaw before finishing them with the belt sander, files, dremel, and grinder.

For the acid etching, I did a ton of testing with different mixtures, resists, etc. This was the results of the last test.

For the resist, I ended up drawing the patterns for the hilt and emitter in illustrator and then printed them out on PNP Blue transfer sheets.

I wrapped each piece with the PNP Blue sheets as tightly as I could and secured with clear packing tape.

It was then time to bake the piece for 15 minutes at 325 degrees.

This is what the piece looked like after baking. The sections of toner get much darker when they transfer to the aluminum.

Removing the transfer sheets shows a decent, but far from perfect transfer.

To fill in the missing sections, I used some Testors model enamel. I also taped off the ends so that acid could not get inside the tubes. I painted the seams between tape and aluminum so the acid would not leak through (something that had been a problem in testing).

This was my etching setup. Water, root kill, salt, and another bottle used as a measuring cup. After etching, I removed the toner/paint resist with acetone.

For the switch buttons, I needed 3/8" discs. I made a scrap piece of aluminum look like swiss cheese and used that as a mask for a spray paint resist.

I went back to the acid to etch around the discs to give myself something to cut/grind/file to.

After some fine tuning, I got everything to sit flush.

I used a series of polishing wheels on a bench grinder (my only power tool purchase for this project) to clean up the pieces before assembly.

I don't have a good writeup for the electronics portion yet, but mostly because that part had some issues and is likely only temporary until I can gather the parts to completely rework it.
jungilizt (Eddie)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey hey! I saw you at CVI with this and it was awesome!
Jedi serve others rather than ruling over them, for the good of the galaxy.
Jedi seek to improve themselves through knowledge and training.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
SithariRog (Roger Allen)
Legion Membership Officer
Legion Membership Officer

Medals: 2 (View more...)
Philippines Typhon Relief (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is VERY nice!!!

I'd be interested in knowing (more specifically) how you did the angles and such and how the tubes all fit together.

I've got a wood turning lathe, and am assuming (from what I've read) that I can turn aluminum on it. I can't wait to try it...been wanting to start a lightsaber making project for...wow, two years now.

Any thoughts on me using a wood turning lathe with aluminum...please let me know!

Past Offices: Asst. LMO, Legion Costume Judge, DCO KJO, BCO Tranquility Base
Padawan_Lucie (Lucie Peake)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Omg! I love this! I wish I had one!!

-is sooooo jealous!!!!-
Lora Skywalker ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is one really good looking lightsaber! Very Happy Love it! Mr. Green

http://headoftheclones.proboards59.com/index.cgi -if you like FF of the crazy kind. Wink Clone Leader
rogue9607 (Nick)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everyone.

I did the angles with a dremel bit in the chuck of the radial arm saw. I set the appropriate angle and then positioned a stop block so that the emitter barely fit between the bit and the block. I then used some thin metal pieces (1/32" I think) to control the depth of each pass. I'll see if I have some more pics of that part.

For the tubes, there are five pieces (two emitters, two hilt sections, and a connector) that slide together and are held with set screws.

I've read some about using a wood lathe for aluminum, but I've also read some horror stories. I'm a bit hesitant to try it since the wood lathe wouldn't have the precision for perfectly fitting pieces or threading. I'll probably try to mount a dremel as a make shift mill for my next project.
Ky-Wan Zann ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks good

'Just because I don't like to fight. Doesn't mean I can't'

'They can be a great people Kal-El they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way'

'JASON' Detachment
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Tag Aldeggon ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the most beautiful lightsabers I have ever seen. Stupendous work!

... and even if you succeed, it's a hard life."
Mithras ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Allow me to add to the chorus here and say that this is a gorgeous piece of work. I'd be proud to to own something even remotely similar!

-Alex
Schph Gochi (Phyllis Schulte)
Nar Shaddaa Base XO
Nar Shaddaa Base XO

Medals: 11 (View more...)
Hurricane Sandy Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

all I can say is

WOW

Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked

http://livefromthegalaxyfarfaraway.blogspot.com/
Mara Skywalker (Anna)
Nordic Base CO
Nordic Base CO

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

that is soooooo beautiful! Shocked

Mynocks deliver Babies
Tan'mar'War-onDioro ()

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rogue9607,

Would you be willing to help me out with some etching on my lightsabers? I have some ideas that I want to do; on two of the sabers that I am building. NO pressure just asking.
Cloak -
Inner/ Outer Tunic -
Pants -
Tabard/ Obi -
Boots - Working on
Jedi Belt -
Jedi Pouches -
Jedi Energy/Food Capsule (8.) - Working on
Vod'ika (lightsaber) - Working on
Anakin Skywalker ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been back and forth on this thread a few times tonight jsut to look at the this saber it is stunning!

"All who gain power are afraid to lose it."
"The whole thing stank, but our noses had been out in the cold for too long..."
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi -> Lightsabers All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: