About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=ee034a63a59770c5f749bfedc6bec7aaMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Xus Kenobi's Episode III + Mustafar WIP
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi -> Obi-Wan Kenobi
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Xus Kenobi (Jesús Valcárcel)
Spanish Base CO
Spanish Base CO

Medals: None

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 11:54 am    Post subject: Xus Kenobi's Episode III + Mustafar WIP Reply with quote

Hi my crazy old fellows! I've been out of costuming for a while since my Clone Wars Kenobi costume but recent events have forced me back into our beloved hobby!

Just as a little introduction, I built a generic Jedi costume, and despite it's a brown costume inspired on a variety of characters, people always identify me as Obi-Wan... the colors are wrong but people say my hairstyle and beard make me look a bit like Obi-Wan... so I decided to put things right and build an accurate ROTS Obi Wan Kenobi costume.

My intention is to make two sets of tunics, tabbards and obi in order to get both, the neat and tidy Jedi Master look and the Mustafar dirty look with just a little extra effort.

I hope this is useful for everyone and I look forward to your feedback!

It's very nice to come back!

Spanish Base CO
Spanish Base CO

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First of all it's important to chose the right fabrics.

I think the ones I got are really really close to the ones used on-screen except for the tunic and tabbards which I decided to use a different one for reasons i'll explain a little later.

First the collar and sleeves of the under tunic, this fabric is light and smooth so it won't give me a rash if i wear it for a long time. The color is almost exact and the texture although a little too smooth is quite similar. I think the important thing is the overall result and i don't believe anyone is going to carry a picture so they can compare XD so i'm quite happy with this one. The idea is to sew the collar and sleves to an old t-shirt (as Ewan McGregor wore it) so it's cooler than wearing a complete undertunic (as I do with my generic jedi costume).

Second, the robe. This fabric is called "Paño" here in Spain and I don't know if it's exactly the same as the original fabric in the movies but it does look extremely similar. My Rebel Legion fellows carry robes made out of this and they look great. Very nice flow and texture. The color once again is almost exact and it's a little lighter than my previous robe wich was a bit too thick.

And last, the tunic, tabbards and obi fabric I found is called "Otoman" here and although it's not the kind of towel texture the original one has, the krinkle texture and the color give the same overall effect. I did find another fabric with a much closer texture but it was greyish rather than beige or cream, in fact it matched exactly the color of the original fabric, (from pictures taken at the exhibition) however due to lighting and editing in the movies, I feel the cream-bone-beige tone is much more appropriate for the overall look... It's very hard to find the exact fabric and besides I like it better XD so I bought this one.

I bought twice as much fabric because I'm planning on doing two sets for the clean version and the mustafar dirty one.

And here is a comparison of the three fabrics... I think they work pretty well together ant they match the overall look of Kenobi's outfit! I'm really looking forward to getting this done!

Spanish Base CO
Spanish Base CO

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I finished the inner tunic and despite some minor adjustment on the wrists so it wrinkles just like in the film we're done!

Inner Tunic. Needs narrowing the sleeves a little.

Outer Tunic.

Outer Tunic. The tabbards are sewn to the waist at the back and to the shoulder to keep them in place. They are also sewn on the front so they stay perfectly vertical below the obi. I just have to pull them over my head.

Obi a little too wide so it wrinkles when the belt comes on. Velcro at the back

Both sleeves together. Wrinkles not quite right on the inner sleeve.

Overall look quite nice. (The belt is from my generic jedi, just to get the overall look)

Nice slide down of the outer tunic to reveal the inner tunic.

Inner tunic shows quite nicely in certain Obi-Wan poses.

Spanish Base CO
Spanish Base CO

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now about the Boots.

These boots are from JDOS props in Peru. First of all I must say the work is amazing and the boots look awesome. There are a couple of details that I'll try to touch up like the leather spats that right now flare out a bit and the boot sole which is black instead of brown, but for the price I think this is the best deal out there right now.

As you can see the boot spats in the front are still a bit stiff and sort of flare out a little so I'll work on that to make sure they stay in place. The ankle part is still a bit stiff too but I guess it'll become softer as I use them. These are made to fit your leg and the result is perfect. Really good stuff.

Now on to the underbelly of the boots.

The strap at the ankle has a piece of velcro to keep it closed and two rings to keep the seam from showing. These rings are attatched to the boot and cannot be removed because both episode 1 and 2 and episode 3 boots have this strap.

The spats are held in place with velcro and can be removed, however I think I might sew them at the bottom so they stay flat on the boot and that way you can still put them on but keeping boot and spat sewn together.

The laces go all the way up (I believe the original boots used by Ewan McGregor had a similar lace system) This is very comfortable and allows you to wear the boots even if you put on a little weight and your leg thickens.

The only little problem with the laces is that if you do them all the way up they show at the top, but the pants are likely to hide it. I tend to tie them a little before reaching the top so they don't show.

Without the laces the boots are really comfortable to put on.

And just so you can see how the spats are removable, although as I said I think it mught be better to sew them at the bottom.

Spanish Base CO
Spanish Base CO

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And just to show you how nice these boots are, I asked Daniel to send me the tranformable
version. This means the boots can be changed from Episode I and II style to episode III style
because the only difference are three straps that go at the top of the boot.

So this is the boot with the three extra straps.

The straps each have a piece of velcro and two rings to hide the ends and make it look as if they are holding them in place.

Then you simply put the straps through the back of the boot (there are rings to do this)

Then you close the strap using the velcro tape.

And finally you put the rings in place according to reference pictures.

And once you do the same with the three straps you have your Episode I and II Obi Boots!

So overall: Amazing

Besides the boots themselves I must say I was a little concerned for some time between payment and recieving my boots because Daniel was very busy with several orders and communication was quite slow for my taste. Nevertheless Daniel did reply to all my mails and as you can see the end result is perfect but I would advice Daniel to keep the client informed during the process or maybe send a picture of the boots WIP. You have to pay in advance for these boots and it would be nice to have news every now and then.

Spanish Base CO
Spanish Base CO

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here we go! Overall look of the costume right now, only parts missing are new pants, replica belt, and the outer robe:

[img]https://fbcdn-sphotos-c-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/183605_510269108988760_222515972_n.jpg
[/img]

Only parts left to do are pants, robe and belt. I've been searching for a nice belt and the best I could find was the.rebel.agent's but he doesn't seem to be doing them anymore... I contacted several times and didn't get a response about the belt... So I have been looking around and I think i've almost figured it out:

Custom-Props seem to have a pretty screen accurate belt on ebay which comes with one of the pouches (the one with the flap) and a covertec clip. Does anyone have one of these? I think it looks great and despite it's more expensive, it's more screen accurate than costumebase's.

Then, a set of pouches from SithariRog (Roger Allen) to complete the pouch section. These look great and I'm almos certain I will get them from him unless I find a complete belt for sale.

And last but not least the food capsules. I've seen the Civilized Galactic Gear food capsules and I think they're really nice... again expensive but they look amazing... I guess i'll end up with a set of these. Besides they come in the aproppriate gold silver boltgun and bronze color.

And with all of that I believe the belt would have every component.

If anyone can point me in a better direction to any of the belt components or maybe a complete belt that would be much appreciated!

skoe (Eric Skoglund)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice work Xus Wink

Jedi Knight Obi (Chad Pulliam)
Blue Ridge Base XO
Blue Ridge Base XO

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 4:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good to see the boot stuff. Thats the type of boot Im looking at as well. Good suggestions on modding them for Ep II.. Mine would be the 1 strap since im going for Ep III. Loved how it turned out. The overall look makes a great impact.

Ben

Blue Ridge Base XO
Nexus Temple Master
NC Regional Captain-Eastern North Carolina
Spanish Base CO
Spanish Base CO

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chad: JDOS props made my boots with removable straps so you can have both Episode I and II style as well as Episode III. If you are dead sure you're only going to go with Episode III great, but I'd suggest you pick the ones with removable top straps Wink the difference is about 10 $ and I think it's really worth it!

Eric: Thanks!

Getting on with the robe. Used SithariRog's tutorial as guidance and added some changes. Overall look and size seems fine to me! Just needs a little bit of fitting at the bottom and at the sleeves to get the hem right.

The back of the hood seems to have too much wrinkles or rather too noticable ones. I'll try to reduce them but I think once sewn they will not stand out as much.

Detail on the shoulder tuck. I think I'll make it a little smaller so the robe falls more naturally. Looks a little off to me right now

Oel Darkrider (Leonardo S. Furlani)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've a Custom-Props Obi-Wan belt and it's great!!! Go for it!!!
Spanish Base CO
Spanish Base CO

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Custom-Props is most defenetly the way to go about the belt! Mine arived yesterday and it's AMAZINGLY detailed. I'll review it over the weekend! Thanks for the tip Oel!

On the other Hand CGG Capsules look great but the standards state that two of the capsules shouldbe Gray which I assume would be the ones painted gunmetal on the picture... is the gunmetal color ok?

By the way are the first pictures working ok? I seem to be unable to see them...

Spanish Base CO
Spanish Base CO

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back to business! I'm sooooo excited right now! Only a couple of things left to complete the costume! Since my last post I finished off the robes and recieved my belt from Coliver. Really nice belt! This morning I ordered my CGG Food Capsules so that only needs to ship and arrive! So the only things left to complete the costume are pants and the missing pouches for the belt which I'll get from SithariRog as soon as I save up some cash.

So on with the pictures!

Overall look (Didn't bother to put the inner shirt on) with the robes and the belt on. As stated I'm missing food capsules and some of the pouches.

Now on to the closeup on the belt. This is Coliver's belt. Amazing detail, very nice color, the leather pouch looks exactly like the original, belt buckle and rivets appropriate size and color. The wide stap closes a the back with a leather piece covering the union and the small one closes at the belt by simply pulling the strap tight. The pack also included the covertec clip.

Belt buckle looks great!

Amazing detail on the leather pouch. Held in place by a magnetic button-clip and functional at thefront with the same sort of device.

Closing at the back uses velcro. The Leather piece should cover the joint, I moved it out of the way so you could see.

So if you're looking for a belt this would be one of your top choices. I know the.rebel.agent did some just as good but he seems not to be offering them anymore... if he does any more his would also be a great choice!

When I get the rest of the belt I'll post a detailed review of the whole thing!

Spanish Base CO
Spanish Base CO

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi! I just got my food capsules from CGG and they are great! I tried them n and they look amazing, however I found a little problem when attatching them to the belt.

The Customprops belt needs to be opened at the back for the wide strap and at the buckle for adjusting the thin strap within the rivets. This poses 2 problems:

1. It means I need to take off all the boxesand food capsules every time I want to put it on or takeit off... I expected to be able to get it on and of with all the parts attatched...

2. Because the thin strap becomes double at the front so you can loosen it and then adjust it, the food capsules don't sit well on the belt... they seem to flare out because the strap is too thick... together with the first problem it means that apart from looking odd the thin strap will weather a lot from the preassure of the capsules plus the puting them on and thaking them off business...

The thin strap opens at the buckle so if I make it fix here and cut off the excess material I can make it close at the back and keep the buckle always in place and the straps thinner so the food capsules sit properly.

This is thedouble thickness I was talking about. Too thick for the capsules to sit properly.

Here you can see the belt deforming due to the preassure the capsues make and the belt twisting in an odd way.

However with the single strap it sits perfectly.

And because of the extra thickness, weathering is already appearing...

Anyone has had the same problems? Any ideas on how to make things easier?

My thoughts are:

1. Cut the inner strap at the appropriate length and make the bucklepart fixed so I don't have to detatch it ever again and the strap is single because the extra material has been removed. The food capsules will then sit perfectly on the belt.

2. Cut open the back of the inner strap and add some sort of closing (velcro, rivet, snap...) so both straps close at the back and then dissapear under the belts closure...

What do you guys think?

Jedi Knight Obi (Chad Pulliam)
Blue Ridge Base XO
Blue Ridge Base XO

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like it .. I noticed that most of the belts are going to a velcro attachement like yours. I have the v.1 belt that actually attaches with two prongs with a stitched wrap around velcro leather enclosure. Its pretty nice as well.. but can be a pain sometimes.

I also have a lighter brown belt thats like yours. I need to update the center clasp because it looks cheap its like a silver plastic. I like this one and Ive been going back and forth to decide to get another belt or simply get a couple of the center clasps to replace the ones I have.

I may end up going ahead and getting a 3rd belt seeing how my 1st belt is weathering after 2 years of trooping. Hopefully after a few changes I will be considered full obi.

Blue Ridge Base XO
Nexus Temple Master
NC Regional Captain-Eastern North Carolina
Spanish Base CO
Spanish Base CO

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey people! I've been modifying my boots and belt the last couple of days and I just realised I never finished the thread! So here are the finished pictures!

As you can see I did finish my costume and it was approved in the RL as Formal/Canon!

So here are all the pictures of the complete costume (before I modified the boots and belt)

I had a baby doll and I thought it would look great if I carried baby Luke to his new home in Tatooine! People at cons and troops find this little detail funny and they always want to hold him!

So this is my costume complete! I am doing some modifying on the boots and belt as I stated...

The boots are simply having the leather guard on top of the laces sewn to the boot because they flared out too much and velcro was not enough to hold it in place... They will not be removable anymore but they will look much better... I hope to get them back from the shoemaker today or tomorrow in order to troop this weekend! So my tip if you are going with JDOS props... ask for the sewn spats rather than the removable ones.

The belt is undergoing a simple but useful modification... as I said earlier I find it very uncomfortable to have to take off all the belt boxes and food capsules in order to put my belt on or take it off... because it's time consuming and the belt boxes and food capsules get scratched as well as the leather on the belt... This is because the CP belt has a weird closing system because the wide belt closes at the back and the thin one needs to be closed ad the front next to the belt buckle. Also the thin belt mounted in a double strap and it was too thick for the food capsules and belt boxes to sit properly.

Plus it was a little too large and it slips down when I'm wearing it so I also needed to adjust the fit.

So the fitting of the wide belt is a simple matter of adding some extra velcro at the back so I can get a tighter fit.

The thin belt is a little more complex but very straight forward... I making the belt buckle a fixed part by gluing the leather in place so it fits perfectly between the bolts. This way I always know the end of the double part (glued together) should align with the bolts and so the double part only sits in the area where no boxes go avoiding the "not sitting properly" problem and it gives enough surface for the glue to get a strong bond. (I used specific leather glue)

The next part was to cit open the back of the thin strap and sewing a little bit of velcro so I can now close the thin strap at the back and therefore the whole belt closes at the back allowing me to keep the belt boxes, food capsules, covertec clip and belt bucle permanently in place making it much easier to put on and making sure I don't lose any pieces while suiting up.

Pictures soon!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi -> Obi-Wan Kenobi All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: