About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=05a5b2e3080925f037108fa92be9bbc3Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Two New Jedis - I hope!
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mishakitty78 (Melissa Nell)
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 1:04 am    Post subject: Two New Jedis - I hope! Reply with quote

Hi Everyone,

I've posted this in our local base (thanks Ra Kura for welcoming us!) but a friend told me I should post it here, too as a WIP. I just submitted my application on Sunday to join the Legion and wanted to say "hello" and introduce myself. I'm in Sarasota Florida and have put together a Jedi Master costume for my husband for our 5th year vow renewal. He has always wanted to join the RL and the 501st, so I tried to make everything as nice as possible so that he can get accepted. Well, as it looks like my plans for CVI may fall through, he persuaded me to also make a Jedi Knight costume for myself for CVI. I just sent in the app and hope everything is ok. Here are a few pics:

(sorry the hair is kinda blocking that one!) Shocked

obligatory fancy pose - sorry there's no blade in the saber as my photoshop was being evil

here's my husband in his set:

a little closer detail

i shall call this one "i will NEVER sew another one of these dang robes again" lol

If anyone has any comments/thoughts/suggestions please let me know. I made everything I'm wearing, except the boots and pants (even the belt and pouches!), made brian's outer tunic, tabards, and obi, and he made our light sabers. We are happy to hear feedback and appreciate everyone's kindness.

And also, just out of curiosity, how long does the approval process usually take? I'm figuring a month or so, but I was just curious. Thanks! [/img]
padme9055 (Tabitha G)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those look really nice Smile. Good job Smile.

Approval takes between a month to a week, depending on the number of applications or how busy the judges are Smile .

Tabitha: a daughter, big sister, screenwriter, costumer, seamstress.
Hawaii_Rex ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking sharp! Great looking couple!

Phase I Rex (realistic)
Phase II Rex (animated)
JediMasterMark (Mark Jones)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebels 4 Japan (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you both look great. How is your saber attached to your belt (I can see his hook, so...)? The only thing I would suggest is to get him to move his food capsules up from the smaller belt to the larger belt. I love the material for the tunic & tabbards!
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JediMasterMark wrote:
I think you both look great. How is your saber attached to your belt (I can see his hook, so...)? The only thing I would suggest is to get him to move his food capsules up from the smaller belt to the larger belt. I love the material for the tunic & tabbards!

I will let him know. Thanks!

His is a D ring set up. Mine is a covertec clip
Okami Dai ()
Alpine Outpost CO
Alpine Outpost CO

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice looking costumes, mishakitty78!
I really like the colour combinations you chose.
And a very understandable comment...not to sew something like this again Razz
A-Wing Pilot
Jedi Knight
Lora Skywalker ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love your costume, mishakitty! Very Happy It has such nice details... The feather in your hair is a lovely detail, and so is the leaf shaped top for the pouch.

Cloaks? Ha, I managed to make three full cloaks before I even made my own. Rolling Eyes A jedi cloak was actually one of the very first things I did as a costumer. (Beyond the low scale halloween type costumes). And I've helped with a few cloaks since then. Ah, the xp I've gathered in cloak making. (When I can afford it I will definitely be making another cloak for myself, but wool is expensive).

Hmm, you asked for con crit... well, personally I think your husbands tabards are a little wide over his shoulders. But the outfit do look nice.

Approval can be anything from a couple of days to around a month. It depends on many things like: how busy the judges are both with other costumes and real life, the type of costume (some require a lot of research on the judges' part before they can be approved), the pictures submitted... yeah, I know they try to get as many applications done as possible before big events, but don't know if they'll get yours done before CVI.

http://headoftheclones.proboards59.com/index.cgi -if you like FF of the crazy kind. Wink Clone Leader
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okami Dai wrote:
Very nice looking costumes, mishakitty78!
I really like the colour combinations you chose.
And a very understandable comment...not to sew something like this again Razz

Actually I *really* liked sewing the Jedi tunics, tabards, and obis. It was just the cloak. And even sewing it wasn't that bad, I just discovered I'd be far better off with (very patient) minions who can cut fabric. That is so not one of my strong skills lol.
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lora Skywalker wrote:
I love your costume, mishakitty! Very Happy It has such nice details... The feather in your hair is a lovely detail, and so is the leaf shaped top for the pouch.

Cloaks? Ha, I managed to make three full cloaks before I even made my own. Rolling Eyes A jedi cloak was actually one of the very first things I did as a costumer. (Beyond the low scale halloween type costumes). And I've helped with a few cloaks since then. Ah, the xp I've gathered in cloak making. (When I can afford it I will definitely be making another cloak for myself, but wool is expensive).

Hmm, you asked for con crit... well, personally I think your husbands tabards are a little wide over his shoulders. But the outfit do look nice.

Approval can be anything from a couple of days to around a month. It depends on many things like: how busy the judges are both with other costumes and real life, the type of costume (some require a lot of research on the judges' part before they can be approved), the pictures submitted... yeah, I know they try to get as many applications done as possible before big events, but don't know if they'll get yours done before CVI.

Thanks! I'm a nature girl, so the feather and leafy bit made sense. I managed to work all of that into a sufficient back story too, I think. And thanks for the thoughts on Brian's tabards. I'm not sure if there's an "easy" fix to that Sad But maybe I can think of something!

I haven't heard anything at all for about 2 weeks now, and I figured I definitely won't since we're so close to C6. But maybe - hopefully - after that!
Lora Skywalker ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think all of the judges are at CVI, so no, I don't think they are approving any more costumes until after they get back and up to speed.

Hmm, no I can't think of an easy way either. Are they double layered? To make them a bit smaller you'd probably have to take them apart and cut some fabric off. But since this is my opinion it may not be necessary, depends on whether the judges thinks they look too large on him.

http://headoftheclones.proboards59.com/index.cgi -if you like FF of the crazy kind. Wink Clone Leader
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 3:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lora Skywalker wrote:
I think all of the judges are at CVI, so no, I don't think they are approving any more costumes until after they get back and up to speed.

Hmm, no I can't think of an easy way either. Are they double layered? To make them a bit smaller you'd probably have to take them apart and cut some fabric off. But since this is my opinion it may not be necessary, depends on whether the judges thinks they look too large on him.

He got a really good reception at CVI Wink

I had sewn his tabards to the obi, but not mine, and decided to rip out the stitches before we went over to the convention. It helped quite a bit - there was less of a gap in the back and so it didn't look as big. A tighter belt is going to help too. It looks great, but after moving around a bit proved that it needed to be tighter.

I think he's going to try to stay with everything the size it is as he really, really likes it. He's happy as we found reference photos and vids from Obi Wan and several other Clone Wars Jedis that had tabards that were a bit bigger than the shoulders, so he'd like to go with that as he really likes that look. Hopefully it will be ok. Thank you kindly for the suggestions!
Lora Skywalker ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah yes. Costumes always needs a test run first to find the things that doesn't quite work. Wink Sounds good you found a way to get them to sit better.

Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lora Skywalker wrote:
Ah yes. Costumes always needs a test run first to find the things that doesn't quite work. Wink Sounds good you found a way to get them to sit better.

I think so! We still have not heard anything back regarding our apps, but I figure with Celebration and Dragon Con right behind it we may not. Is there a time when I should contact someone if we haven't hear by do you think? Thanks for all of your help and suggestions!
Schph Gochi (Phyllis Schulte)
Nar Shaddaa Base XO
Nar Shaddaa Base XO

Medals: 11 (View more...)
Gold Star (Amount: 2)

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I am the judge on both you and your husband's costumes...

I think there might be something wrong with your e-mail account..

Your husband's costume was approved...
on August 13th...

and he would have gotten an e-mail (along with your Base CO if I am not mistaken)
regarding his approval...

you can see his costume is formal and can be seen here:

http://www.rebellegion.com/forum/costume.php?mode=view&c=7097

With regard to your costume, you were sent 2 e-mails regarding your costume...as a judge...I hold on to e-mails that I send to applicants ...for a while anyway...

Here is a copy and paste of the first e-mail sent to you
.I use the RL system....hit the e-mail button and
also click the box to have copies sent to my e-mail address.

Hello mishakitty78!

I am sending you this email concerning your costume "Misha

Atropa".

Hi,

I am one of the judges looking at your Jedi costume

submission.

Everything looks in ordere except that you do not have

enough of the optional items for formal status.

This is a copy and paste of the optional items list you can

choose from...as you can see-you only have 2 of the 3

required for formal status. You have the pouches and the

undertunic. In order to be formal, you would have to add one

of the other optional items. Do you have either a robe, food

capsules or one of the other items but you maybe forgot to

add photos of them?

Formal Requirements:

You must have at least three items from the list to be formal.

1. Large Jedi robe or cloak, similar to movie canon

robes/cloaks, in allowed color palette, with attached hood.

2. Leather or leather-like belt pouches (at least 2)

3. Full or false inner tunic in similar color scheme as outer

tunic (dickie / full & mock turtlenecks, mandarin style collars

ok). If optional inner tunic is used and long sleeved, then

outer tunic may be sleeveless.

4. Food pellets (at least one set of 4).

5. A-99 Aqua breather.

6. Jedi communicator.

7. Droid caller.

Please let me know if you have any of the other items.

Phyllis

May The Force Be With You
---

Schph Gochi (Phyllis Schulte), Legion Costume Team, the Rebel Legion

The Rebel Legion is a worldwide Star Wars costuming organization comprised of and operated by Star Wars fans.

While it is not sponsored by Lucasfilm Ltd., Lucasfilm recognizes the Rebel Legion as a premier volunteer Rebel costuming group.

Star Wars, its characters, costumes, and all associated items are the intellectual property of Lucasfilm.

© 2010 Lucasfilm Ltd. All rights reserved. Used under authorization.

here is a copy and paste of the denial e-mail sent to you on 8-19-12:

Hello mishakitty78!

The Rebel Legion regrets to inform you that the costume that

you have

submitted ("Misha Atropa") has been denied approval.

About a week ago, I sent you an e-mail regarding your

costume submission. I did let you know that you don't have

enough of the optional items from the Generic Jedi costume

standard list and provided you with the list.

Since I have not heard back from you, I am denying this

costume application and hope that you submit a new

application when you get the required optional items.

If you did send a reply, I did not get it. I do check my spam

folder very carefully to make sure I don't delete responses

that I have to address.

Thanks,

Phyllis

Schph Gochi

At this time, you will have to add the missing optional item and submit a new costume application...

I am sorry that you didn't get either of the e-mails, but sadly that is something that we can not control.....
I am glad that you have asked what happened and maybe this will help someone else in the future.

As you can imagine...there was a LOT of activity in the judging queue before C6 but we did our best to get the applications done...
and photoshopped

http://livefromthegalaxyfarfaraway.blogspot.com/
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Phyllis,

Thank you so much for taking the time to reply to me. I really appreciate, too, the fact that you copied and pasted the emails. I'm also very excited that my husband's costume was approved and hope to get mine up to snuff quickly too.

I just need one bit of clarification. I wasn't trying to be formal...I thought that was an option in addition to being a generic Jedi. Did I fail the generic Jedi option too? I am happy to resubmit everything, just want to be clear for that.

I am concerned about my email but will make sure it is correct when I re-submit. I suspect something got wonky with the way it was typed perhaps as I have not had any problems receiving emails from any other form (Mercs, Outer Rim, etc.). Hopefully I just made an error when I typed it in!

Thank you again so much for your help,
Misha
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: