About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=d95568bb57d7cbd06ad98f27b493bb04Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Questions on Mara Jade's weapon requirements

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fevre Chance ()

Medals: None

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 9:08 pm    Post subject: Questions on Mara Jade's weapon requirements Reply with quote

Hello everyone, I'm currently working on a Mara Jade costume, to be finished by this year's New York Comic Con. I am on a bit of a budget, so I am hoping to find a way to construct the costume up the Rebel Legion's (and my own) standards without having to spend too much more than I need to. So what I'd like to know is - how many weapons are required for Mara Jade? I currently plan to have a DL-44 blaster, but I wasn't planning on carrying a lightsaber.
I have at my parent's house the blue Force-FX Lightsaber carried by Anakin, Luke, and eventually Mara Jade, but since it would be too large to carry around the convention and expensive (and a bit risky!) to ship across the country to where I live in New York, I don't want to ship it unless it is necessary for RL approval of the costume.
So what I'm trying to say is... is it necessary to have a lightsaber for Rebel Legion approval of Mara Jade? Or will just a blaster do?
Thanks for your advice,
Fevre
Morgana ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Acceptable lightsaber hilts include those designed to match reference images from the comics or Decipher cards. A Luke Skywalker style hilt is also acceptable

http://www.rebellegion.com/about_standards.php?id=12143

That is directly off of the requirements page. So to answer your question the lightsaber is going to be required for it to be an approvable costume.

If you are just going to be attending the con for fun then it doesn't matter.

As far as walking around the con with the lightsaber. My husband and myself have done it many times and have not really had a problem. You just have to be aware of the people around you and try not to accidently hit them while walking.

I don't have any suggestions as far as having it shipped. I've never had to ship a fully built saber before.

Hope this helps.
Granny-Wan (Marie Cannon)
Mos Eisley Base XO
Mos Eisley Base  XO

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Gold Star (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 3:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought a broken FX saber on ebay and took the blade out, and hang it on my belt. Easier than carrying a bladed saber around.
Fevre Chance ()

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 5:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi everyone! Just an update, in the end I decided to ship my lightsaber after all. The price actually wasn't nearly as bad as I'd feared! I was able to get a poster tube that easily fit my lightsaber + several layers of bubble wrap for about $10, and I think shipping it only cost about $8! I guess I'm just adding this in case anyone ever finds themselves in a similar situation.

I probably won't carry it around the con because I'm already going to have a blaster for photos and will also be carrying a purse/camera bag, so a lightsaber would leave me with no free hands - but I've got it now to take pictures with for my RL application!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: