About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=9b428c4173a656c906a3fcaec72670f9Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

My Ahsoka season 3 build
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mara Skywalker (Anna)
Nordic Base CO
Nordic Base CO

Medals: None

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 6:56 pm    Post subject: My Ahsoka season 3 build Reply with quote

I'm currently working on an Ahsoka costume to go with my girlfriend's Anakin. A lot of the Danish members are part of a forum called "Skywalker.dk" and each year we have our own Star Wars Summer camp where we hang out, have a nice time, and often work on our costumes. All pictures are from the camp Smile

First version. I've been used as a mannequin, and my friend has literally been making the pattern ON me. Now we're cutting the hole in the front Wink

It feels a bit scary to have people cut things you're wearing to pieces Wink

Pattern laid out on moleskin fabric:

Dress in moleskin, without hole in front, and not tied in the back - don't mind my goofy expression, I hate it, when everybody points their camera at me Wink

Preparing to make the hole in the front. You take a piece of fabric slightly larger than you want the hole. Then, you sew just around the edge of the paper (which is my hole pattern) - after that, you cut the hole in both layers of fabric, and the fold the edges of the little pieces into the dress and stitch it in places - this creates nice edges around your hole Smile (I've been told Wink )

Cutting the hole:

I -thought- someone had captured me in it with both holes cut out, but apparently not. I'll put it on tomorrow for pictures in better light Smile The moleskin is the wrong colour. I -Hope- I can dye it, but if not I will have gained skills to use when making it in the right colour Smile

Mynocks deliver Babies
Mara Skywalker (Anna)
Nordic Base CO
Nordic Base CO

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aha, found some other pictures:

This one shows the hole in the back. Naturally, I'm not going to wear a bra Wink And def. not a purple one Wink The hole is hard to keep fitted in the back when you move. We contemplated using just a bit of skin glue to keep it in place Smile

And a glimpse of the hole in front:

Mynocks deliver Babies
Lora Skywalker ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aha! You have made a WIP thread. Good. Then it's much easier to stalk your process. Smile

I hope the fabric can be dyed, too.

http://headoftheclones.proboards59.com/index.cgi -if you like FF of the crazy kind. Wink Clone Leader
Mara Skywalker (Anna)
Nordic Base CO
Nordic Base CO

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, I tried with Dylon already, but much as I assumed, it didn't work. But I thought it was worth a try.

I'm gonna look into ways to colour polyester fabrics, but it aint easy Sad

Mynocks deliver Babies
Lora Skywalker ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know. Confused I did it with those spray colors I have, but a lot of the color washes out again, and it was a pain in the rear to do it.

http://headoftheclones.proboards59.com/index.cgi -if you like FF of the crazy kind. Wink Clone Leader
Mara Skywalker (Anna)
Nordic Base CO
Nordic Base CO

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Dharma trading carries some polyester dyes, but only in a few colours, so I'm not sure I'll find something to match Ahsoka well enough Razz

Mynocks deliver Babies
Lora Skywalker ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm. Could be worth a try. If nothing else you can then tell the rest of us how well it works. Razz

Fyr Mureys ()
Tython Base CO
Tython Base CO

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Hurricane Sandy Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mara,

There's an Ansoka in my saber group, and I've put a lot of thought in how to modify an existing dress to make it the right shape. One thing I have thought of with the back hole shape is to run elastic around it to pull it together. Unless I'm mistaken, should the back hole be a bit bigger than what you have there? It seems to me that a bigger hole with edges pulled in by elastic may well look better, with less loose fabric formed by the natural curve of the spine.

I hope that my two creds help a bit. Wink

Fyr

Tython Base Facebook Page
Mara Skywalker (Anna)
Nordic Base CO
Nordic Base CO

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After I saw the picture Swiv posted in the other Ahsoka thread, I'm inclined to agree with you that I might need to make the hole in the back slightly bigger - I didn't have that picture at the time we made the pattern, only sideway pictures of Ahsoka, so that made it a bit difficult Smile Hoever making the hole slightly bigger should be easy to fix. I'm not sure using an elastic will look good - I'm afraid it might only crinkle the fabric, and not keep it close to my back.

My problem is, that my "natural curve" isn't very natural Razz I have a very curved spine, which also makes it hard for my to find pants that fit me well in the back Smile

Mynocks deliver Babies
JediDWH (Lisa Curtis)
Sunrider Base CO
Sunrider Base CO

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honestly, I think the easiest way to achieve the form-fitting look is to use a stretch fabric. The stuff Victoria (PrincessSolo) uses for her costume has a lot of stretch, a low pile, and looks fantastic:

We're not actually sure what it is... it falls under the umbrella of "something I found in the fashion district." But whatever it is really works.

In solidarity with the VFX industry, who brought the Star Wars we know and love to life, I'm going green screen.

My Etsy shop: Sew Corellian
Mara Skywalker (Anna)
Nordic Base CO
Nordic Base CO

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that does indeed look good! I'm still not sure it would solve the problem completely, due to the very curved spine I have, but it might help a lot Smile

Mynocks deliver Babies
Fyr Mureys ()
Tython Base CO
Tython Base CO

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Hurricane Sandy Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mara Skywalker wrote:

You have lovely curves, Mara! Wink The tightest curve in your back, from this picture, is exactly where it should be, just above the hips. I can see a fold in the cloth where the shape of your hips is pulling the fabric towards your body. If the hole was bigger, the fabric at the side of your waist would pull the elastic closer to your body and make the dress fit closer, I believe. I'm no dressmaker, (I'm a nurse) but the theory seems sound.

Tython Base Facebook Page
AhsokaTano ()
Tython Base XO
Tython Base XO

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 3:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Victoria's costume is awesome I keep asking her about it but my sewing machine unfortunately won't sew any sort of stretch fabric so the first costume I did was just cotton based. The sewing machine kind of wrecks the fabric and locks up, I tried it with some white stretchy material I had, lets say I am glad I didn't buy red tight fabric. That's why I bought that other dress Fyr showed you. How are you going to do the collar Mara?
darthrevan (Ally Bock)
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 3:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome! Looking forward to seeing more Smile
Jeremiah 29:11
Mara Skywalker (Anna)
Nordic Base CO
Nordic Base CO

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I might ask Victoria about her fabric - her outfit is really nice! Does she have a username I could write to? Smile

My biggest concern is the leggings. I can't figure out how to make the patterns in them Confused

Mynocks deliver Babies
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: