About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=3c57890447787089b7ccfbd190720dcaMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Ep. II, Padme battle outfit
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Padme
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Princess Sandy ()
Legion XO
Legion XO

Medals: 2 (View more...)
Gold Star (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking good, Mosi!
www.facebook.com/PrincessSandy41280
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
PilotPadme ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm currently working on this costume and have the pants and shirt and the whole kit from Mosi Wink so my final obstacle here is the hair. I got a major haircut a few weeks ago and my hair is only barely long enough to go in a ponytail. Obviously I will need to make a fake hairpiece, but I have no idea where to start. Does anyone know where I can find a tutorial or any advice on this particular hairstyle? I've never worked with fake hair before and I'm not so great on my own either, so I could really use some help!
sarah_d (sarah drummond)
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

Medals: 1 (View more...)
2013 Christmas Toys for Tots Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought a pony tail hair piece, i got mine from a local hair shop but you can buy them online, i sectioned the hair into pieces and twisted them round pipe cleaners, and then bent them into shape and pinned them into place.

I put my own hair into a bun, and the ponytail extension piece i bought fits over my bun and has a drawstring which you can tighten to secure to your head.

Very Happy

Member of:
- Rebel Legion - Elstree Base
- Mandalorian Mercs - Vok'Chi Clan
- 501st - UK Garrison
PilotPadme ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Sarah! I think I will try the local wig place and see if I can get an extension with a drawstring to play with. I didn't even know they came like that but I figure I can work a drawstring. Razz
PilotPadme ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finished this one yesterday! I had to wait a while for my eBay boots and did some more research on how to style the hair extensions. Had to try 3 times but finally I figured out the secret was using some styling glue. I got the pants and shirt from Clothears and most of the accessories from Mosi Laughing but I am very proud of the hair which I did myself.

Looking at the pictures, I see that I forgot to take my ring off and the shin guards need to be tightened. I could probably also get the hair color to match better if I gelled my hair with the same product as the extension.

...and most of all not eat such a large meal right beforehand! Lol uh oh
Mosi ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 3:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PilotPadme wrote:
Finished this one yesterday! I had to wait a while for my eBay boots and did some more research on how to style the hair extensions. Had to try 3 times but finally I figured out the secret was using some styling glue. I got the pants and shirt from Clothears and most of the accessories from Mosi Laughing but I am very proud of the hair which I did myself.

Looking at the pictures, I see that I forgot to take my ring off and the shin guards need to be tightened. I could probably also get the hair color to match better if I gelled my hair with the same product as the extension.

Looks good, just need to tweak a couple of things. You will want to use the larger top and bottom shin straps that I provided, and those will help pull the shins in nice and tight. The pouch placement is also wrong... starting from the right hip is the holster, in front of that is the small pouch.. then the left rear part of the hip is the large square pouch, with the tall one in front.
PilotPadme ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mosi wrote:
PilotPadme wrote:

Looks good, just need to tweak a couple of things. You will want to use the larger top and bottom shin straps that I provided, and those will help pull the shins in nice and tight. The pouch placement is also wrong... starting from the right hip is the holster, in front of that is the small pouch.. then the left rear part of the hip is the large square pouch, with the tall one in front.

Oh darn! One of these years I will get my left and right straight...oops. I think I got mixed up looking at too many photos. And I will put the shin straps to work too. I just forgot about them until it was time to take the photo and didn't want to put it off till the next day, that will improve it a lot Smile
Princess Sandy ()
Legion XO
Legion XO

Medals: 2 (View more...)
Gold Star (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 3:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes you need to fix the belt placement and tighten the shin guards for approval. Smile
www.facebook.com/PrincessSandy41280
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Sothis ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 11:08 am    Post subject: Padme Battle hairstyle Reply with quote

I'm now on my way with this costume, too!
And I wanted to share with you the way I made the hairstyle. It's rather obvious how to do it, really, but probably will give some tips for others who like me have problems and pain with everything which have to do with hairstyles!

The things I used:

1. artificial hair extantions (one was enough for me)

2. hair rollers - 8 pieces

3. PVA adhesive
4. instant glue
5. hairdryer
6. a brush (or a toothbrush in my case to stir PVA in a bottle)

1) The first thing I did was preparing the hair rollers. They are the base of loops. I used 6 rollers for the main part.
I took the white plastic things that cover the wire inside the roller out. Then aligned all the rollers in a row and arranged the wire inside them to make a single long sausage. Glued the joints with instant glue.
Now it is long, bendable and nice!

2) Then I took one hair extension. Cut 1 inch of hair from it. Mine consisted of 3 rows of hair stripes. I used each one of them separately. I made a mistake trying to use them as one on my first try with this hairstyle and it ended up too thick, not to mention that I used more hair. Then I glued the tip of the stripe with instant glue to my sausage and twisted the hair around it! I fixed the tip with instant glue again and took a hairdryer. I gently repeated the way hair twisted with the hairdryer, paying extra attention to the tips to curve them correctly. Be careful not to burn the hairs! Better leave them a little loose and put more PVA later.
Then I just covered the whole thing with PVA adhesive and waited for it to grab before adding the next stripe of hair.
I covered slightly the tips of the previous stripe with the next one for extra strength.

That's how it all looked during the process:

After it dried I twisted it in loops and pinned it to my hair bun with the excess of wise from the two sides of the sausage. I also made two additional loops from one hair roller each.

And that's what I've got as a result!
Princess Leah ()
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your hairpiece looks fabulous! The bet I e seen so far! Great job!
RebelSenator (Raychel Enck)
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 2:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for posting pics and details. I think I'm going to remake mine now. I used pipe cleaners that were twisted together for form the hair around but I like the idea of using glue so that it stays in place.
MidSouth Garrison, Public Relations Officer
http://www.facebook.com/LCJedi
RogueShadow ()

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi All!!

So I've never really posted here, but I have been working on this costume for a while.

I've read all your posts, and gotten in contact with Mosi (thanks for the pieces, they've worked great!)

However, I'm having a fabric issue. I used Ponte Knit for my pants/shirt and it is shapeless, no figure to it, etc. Not to mention, when I took it to the seamstress, she had no clue how to do the seams on the pants, and therefore they are a bit sloppy.

So I've come to ask you guys - what fabric did you all use? You guys don't seem to have any issues with shapeless fabric.

Thanks (:
Naergi ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RogueShadow wrote:
So I've come to ask you guys - what fabric did you all use? You guys don't seem to have any issues with shapeless fabric.

There is no 'shapeless fabric', just 'shapeless patterns'. And, seriously? A good seamstress would definitely know how to do the seams.

One problem, however, could be that / if your fabric doesn't contain elasthane - that could (pretty soon!) result in a knit fabric getting out of shape. Even a low elasthane content keeps it from doing so.
RogueShadow ()

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Come to think about it, the top pattern is a little baggy...

All the seamstress did was pinch the fabric a bit and sewed it at the bottoms.. It needed to be a seam, not an accent, you know? (I wish I had a good pic to show you guys!)

I'm definitely going to try again, however. I want to get approved soon! and Thanks again!
BBC527 ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been looking through the thread and enjoy everything.
I'm looking at making this costume for my wife, and I wanted to find out what fabric everyone is using and where to get it? We have been looking at Joann's but it seems like everything is too shinny and doesn't look right. Any help would be great to find the correct fabric.

Also, liked the boot and shin guards that have been shown on here. It really makes me want to try and make these myself.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Padme All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 9 of 10

Jump to: