About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=74734da991af22e6034baa45e97c0b87Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Padme Amidala handmaiden battle costume

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Padme
View previous topic :: View next topic  
carriz ()

Medals: None

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 6:49 pm    Post subject: Padme Amidala handmaiden battle costume Reply with quote

Hi all of you awesome Star Wars peeps Smile

I'v startet to make my Padne handmaiden battle costume, and need a little input from you guys!

I'v already gotten my trim, which is awesome,

But I'm having trouble deciding on the fabric, on the inside I'v found these two which is I cant decide which fits best. Sorry about the photos, trying to get the best angles so the you can see the right fabric Smile

On the outside I'v gotten two samples from thaisilks.com , but I cant decide if it fits or not?? any ideas?? or other proposals? Smile

Thanks again for all your help guys Very Happy
Mieal Deneb (Rachel Orange)
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Droid Wranglers (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The "shirt" fabric should be more of the darker cranberry like the one on the right. However, you might not want a satin fabric. I've made this before for clients and I think the best one was a stretch sort of cotton material for the shirt. For the jacket and pants, definitely velvet. Both swatches look good, but it's hard to tell if they are different colors of if it's the lighting, because they look the same to me. If you can afford it, I highly recommend silk velvet. Just make sure you don't use crushed/panne velvet because it won't pass the standards.

JediDWH (Lisa Curtis)
Sunrider Base CO
Sunrider Base CO

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm just going to drop this link here: http://www.rebellegion.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=36541

It's to our battle handmaiden build thread earlier this year, and contains a loooot of useful information.

For fabrics, the satin/charmeuse fabric you have there would be for the lining of the coat, yes? We used silk velvet and silk charmeuse for the coat, and Kona cotton for the undershirt. I can't really tell about the fiber content of the velvets you have there, but my recommendation goes to what photographs better- it looks like perhaps the sample on the left is less reflective, and considering that a lot of what we do is taking pictures with people, it's an important thing to take into account. Silk velvet photographs gorgeously. And drapes gorgeously. Honestly, all other velvet will be forever ruined for you after working with silk velvet, because it's pretty awesome. Pricey, but awesome. We managed to get ours for half off, because the nap goes sideways. Not that anyone can tell, but yeah.

Rayon would also drape pretty nicely. Cotton velvet photographs pretty well, but the drape is too stiff, and half the fun of this costume is twirling in an epic, epic coat.

In solidarity with the VFX industry, who brought the Star Wars we know and love to life, I'm going green screen.

My Etsy shop: Sew Corellian
carriz ()

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you so much for replying Smile And thank you so much for the input on the fabrics, its so difficult to choose and find the right ones.

JediDWH (Lisa Curtis) Thank you so much for the link!! Helped a lot looking at others work. And I just have to say that your costume looks brilliant!!

The fabric I have there is for the lining of the coat yes, the one on the right is the one I thinks look the best. I think I'm gonna go for silk velvet, I'v gotten a cotton velvet sample in the mail, but as u say it a bit to stiff.

Thank you again for the input.

Just got a question, for the velvet, do you have a specific name on the color? and any suggestions on an online shop to buy it from, because there is not many good fabric stores in Norway Sad
JediDWH (Lisa Curtis)
Sunrider Base CO
Sunrider Base CO

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 4:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't, unfortunately. We bought ours from a shop in the LA fashion district, and just picked it off a rack for being approximately the right color when compared to our reference photos.

I'd say look for names in the burgundy and wine family. It's a really deep red with a shade of purple. You'll do best if you just order swatches of the ones you think might work, and then compare that to your reference photos. It takes longer, but this is a costume best done on a long-ish timeline.

In solidarity with the VFX industry, who brought the Star Wars we know and love to life, I'm going green screen.

My Etsy shop: Sew Corellian
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Padme All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: