About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=87f3d2e9e116a42e8da9652f6fa8b2f2Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Plo Koon (CW) style build thread - a Rubies Mod
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi -> Jedi Tutorials
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sarah_d (sarah drummond)
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

Medals: 1 (View more...)
2013 Christmas Toys for Tots Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fantastic work General_Koon! Very Happy

Member of:
- Rebel Legion - Elstree Base
- Mandalorian Mercs - Vok'Chi Clan
- 501st - UK Garrison
General_Koon (Rick Vargas)
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 5:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks a lot guys (and Princess) Razz

I literally can´t wait to get the hilt and install the innards.

on the bad side of things I am yet to receive news from either the shoemaker making the boots or the seamstress making the cloth parts.

I´ll start making calls tomorrow LOL

on the good side of progress i was able to make the pulls of the talons in black resin, paint them and install them.

Take a look!

Unpainted

Painted with a metallic type of nail enamel to make it look like old bronze or something like that

I dremmeled the inside of the Talons to accommodate the middle finger

and folded the nail of the finger inwards

And glued the talons to the fingers using a mixture of E-6000 (In genereous quantity) and ultra flex superbonder to attach the borders.

finished talons. Now to add the painted striped detail and wait for the handplates and the gauntlets to arrive to end the arms

I am Dying to finish this baby, take the plane to Orlando, meet you guys and take pics with Dave Filoni! Evil or Very Mad Mr. Green Mr. Green Mr. Green
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

those talons are the best
Anakin Skywalker ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That looks great!

"All who gain power are afraid to lose it."
"The whole thing stank, but our noses had been out in the cold for too long..."
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks a lot guys.

Besides the painting of the spots and stripes on his head and hands's skin I am now in the horrible situation (to me at least) of having to wait for news on the seamstress and shoemaker's progress.... Oh dear...

Neutral
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man I hate waiting... like for real. Laughing

All the while i finished painting the mask and the gloves. there´s a couple of videos for them but the upload is going slowly so I´ll post them later.

here´s the pics:

Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Videos of how I did the vein-like pattern on the head and the spot-stripes on the hands

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X7Kgme8Pe70&feature=youtu.be

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vOiSQrvIYX0&feature=youtu.be
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

really really awesome hands! that's just epic

"All who gain power are afraid to lose it."
"The whole thing stank, but our noses had been out in the cold for too long..."
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks!

I was going to leave them like that (as the clone wars hand detail on the tripes is less elaborated as the movie version) but since I[m also doing the movie version by the ned of the year I may as well detail them to full movie detail...

On progress:

Saber hilt has not arrived yet. It was Fedexed on tuesday, with the 3 day delivery they promise it should be here today but I'm not betting my family jewels on it. I expect it to be here on monday tho.

Starfighter gauntlet decals are now finished and will pick them up today after lunch.

Gaunts and handplates arrived into the country yesterday, they are being processed in customs and will most probably be ready for pick up tomorrow.

Still no word form the shoe maker and the seamstress. Surprise visits to both their workplaces are scheduled tomorrow.

I'm dying to have this costume finished in time for App. I want to be able to be in the RL CVi games and skits.
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahhh... dealing with Idiots is always an interesting mixture of emotional experiences.

The Imbecile of a receptionist we have at my job refused the Fedex messenger that came to deliver my saber Hilt. Talk about beauty and the beast... she's both (yes, I love Blade Runner)

Now I have to wait until monday to pick the hilt in one of the only 2 offices they have in this country and miss the chance at putting the saber together during the weekend. Not cool...

EDIT:

To add to the awesome day I'm having, I just got the decals I had custom made and they arrived in black. Not red. not maroon brown... but black.

Mad
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your build is amazing. Too bad about the receptionist and the wrong color. Neutral

http://headoftheclones.proboards59.com/index.cgi -if you like FF of the crazy kind. Wink Clone Leader
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 2:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks a lot Lora!

thanks the Gods not everything is bad news. I was able to track down the fedex truck before It went too far and ask for the lightsaber to be delivered to the nearest Fedex office (Which is 10 blocks form where I work) and 5 hours after the receptionist bounced it off I was able to pick it up.

It IS a piece of art. Francisco IS the man!

the hilt is what a REAL lightsaber should be regarding size and dimensions. Now I can really see how BIG the MR and FX sabers are.

However, accuracy came with a price... the insides, being so small presented the problem of the Obi Lightsaber electronics suit not fitting... by a staggering 7 inches!!!

I´ll let the video explain better what the problems where but here´s the quick list of problems:

1- Electronics casings not fitting the length by 7"

2- Speaker holding ring too wide to fit the inside of the main pipe.

3- Battery pack too damned long so activation buttons and energy readout led stud become useless. they need to be cut down so they won´t interfere with the battery pack being inserted inside the main pipe

4- Main electronics suite chamber is too long so I had to be cut down to fit in BUT the on off Switch opening and cables are now, due to size constraints, located in the main body´s ridged area. A hole needs to be drilled in the exact place where this hole is located to add a on/of micro button to turn on the saber.

5- the blade, once the emitter holding base was removed can be inserted inside the emitter but it needs to be perfectly lined in the right order or the blade will light up in insane patterns.

6- the blade, now that the emitter holding ring has been removed, needs to have a tapped button with an allen screw (like the luxeon modding kit does) tapped in the hilt´s emitter ring.

7- since the pommel is solid the sound has nowhere to come out from. The pommel will need to be drilled out to allow the sound to travel out.

Shocked

SO...

After about 5 hours of dremeling, sanding, measuring, gluing, fitting, getting frustrated and trying again I was able to fit everything inside the hilt.

You´ll excuse I didn´t took any pics of the mess it was but here´s a video of how it looked like...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1nAzPoj7l-s&feature=youtu.be

Now this video I made a few minutes ago to show off what we where able to accomplish between my brother Crazas and myself during last night

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yTj5hLqRsfI&feature=youtu.be

So... this is how my lightsaber looks at this point:

AND I finally got the gauntlets. they arrived today from KWDesigns. I´m in the middle of putting them together. they look awesome!

On the clothing side of things:

The boots will cost 120 dollars. pretty damned good price for custom made full leather boots! that´s the good thing of living here, these things cost less than half what they cost in the US.

The cloth parts will cost 60 bucks... that includes, pants, shirts and tunic with tabards. hahahahahahaha

I´ll post pics of the gaunts when they´re ready!
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 5:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oops, forgot to mention you should have asked for a sound ready pommel.

Sorry my friend!
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah... kind of a bummer but it´s not your fault man. In all accounts it´s Franciscos´s because he should have made a sound ready pommel because I expressively told him in several of my emails that what I wanted was to move the innards of an Obi Wan FX saber to his hilt and he just decided to obviate this detail.

I had to pay 40 dollars in taxes to retrieve the lightsaber. I don´t want to pay any more taxes and wait more because he refused to read my emails in detail.

that is the ONLY thing I have to say I didn´t liked about dealing with him. his communications are not the best. I also requested for a price quote on making me the Doctro Who 10th doctor´s sonic screwdriver parts so I can move the electronics of the toy to the aluminum pieces and it took a LOT of emailing for him to reply to that bit of information.

Just a word of caution on that part.

besides that his job is stupendous and FAST! he took a week form the moment I paid to the moment he mailed the hilt and then 3 more days of waiting for it to arrive.

on other things... man, putting together the gaunts is a PITA!!! getting the parts to join correctly and disappearing the seams is proving a tough task!

I have my fingers completely covered in glue and putty...
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

this is what I could accomplish during saturday on the Gaunts...

it is now 2 o´clock on the wee hours and i´m falling asleep so I´ll finish the other gaunt and weather them later during sunday. Wink
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi -> Jedi Tutorials All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 7 of 10

Jump to: