About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=07dfc70abeabf45f10e1a4a8a2ce73eaMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Some tips and advice on a few costumes.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Meridian ()

Medals: None

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 10:18 pm    Post subject: Some tips and advice on a few costumes. Reply with quote

I have found may of costumes in my recent online searches. Some seem to be very high quality, while others look like a 6-year-olds Halloween costume from the 90s. Here are 2 that seem very intriguing and i was wondering if anybody has any experience with either of them. I am working on saving the money to get a costume made or purchased so that i can become an official member of the Rebel Legion and didn't want to waste my money on a costume that wouldn't get approved. Thanks so much you guys, you have been very helpful with all my questions in the past and I'm sure to look here for any information that i may require in the future.

This is one of the fist ones i found that seems pretty legit. But you never can tell in pictures alone.
http://www.jedi-robe.com/49,star_wars_costumes___adult.html?limit=40

This is one i found semi-recently that seems almost too good to be true. Its very cheap and from looking at the pics it looks fully lined and everything. Even the tabards look good and thick and stiff. Again though you never can tell.
http://cosplaysky.com/star-wars-kenobi-jedi-tunic-costume-custom-made.html?p=2

Thanks in advance.
Crimson (Rome O.)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 2 (View more...)
Gold Star (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 10:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Some tips and advice on a few costumes. Reply with quote

Meridian wrote:
This is one i found semi-recently that seems almost too good to be true. Its very cheap and from looking at the pics it looks fully lined and everything. Even the tabards look good and thick and stiff. Again though you never can tell.
http://cosplaysky.com/star-wars-kenobi-jedi-tunic-costume-custom-made.html?p=2

Thanks in advance.

You've essentially answered your own question: if it's too good to be true, then it is.

Generally, any vendor with the word "cosplay" in the name or description is one to stay away from. The products are typically garbage, for RL or 501st standards. Great for Halloween or casual comic/anime-convention use but not for our purposes.
Jay-gon Jinn (Jason Hetherington)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I could be wrong, but both of those links look re-sellers of "costumebase" costumes.

Jason Detachment
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Morgana ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with the others, I don't think they are going to be approvable.

What type of Jedi Costume are you looking for? Are you looking for a face character costume or just a generic costume?

I can tell you that I got the tunic for my jedi costume from here:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Star-Wars-Tunic-Costume-Shirt-Anakin-Obi-Wan-Sith-Jedi-/220514261853?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3357ac9b5d#ht_4822wt_905
She was very nice and when it didn't fit me properly when it came we sent it back and she fixed it right away.

My husband got his robe from her as well:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/JEDI-SITH-ROBE-CLOAK-CAPE-STAR-WARS-COSTUME-ROTS-101-/370291074957?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item563711678d

The quality is very nice.

I'm not saying that this is your only option because I'm sure that there are other places out there that make good jedi outfits. It's just the one that I've had a good experience with.
Jedi_Boyer (Michel Boyer)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 2 (View more...)
Rebel Legion CV Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know about the jedi costumes for cosplaysky, but I do know that their imperial officer is nearly dead on accurate. Some folks from the Imperial Officer Corps have been working with cosplaysky to get the officer costume just right. It now has the dart on the yoke and the princess seams in the back. The last officer uniform I saw for approval from them, though, still needed a modesty panel at the neck and the jodpurs were still oversized,. This may have been one that was bought, though, before their last round of modifications.

In addition, the IOC forums have praised their customer service. Even to the point of paying for a local tailor to fix any minor modifications (including modesty panel and jodpurs). I would suggest if you have a question, email them to get any information that you might still need before you decide to buy.
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, those are the costumebase costumes alright. Unfortunately, they tend to get approved here, but they are most definitely costume-like. They fit poorly and are constructed with a very sad choice of fabrics. If possible, find something better.

... and even if you succeed, it's a hard life."
Meridian ()

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you all for the constructive feedback. I will probably begin looking at other sources for my first costume. Especially here on the forum. Since I am new here I had no idea that there was such an abundance of seamstresses and will probably purchase a more custom costume. Thank you all again. I can't believe how helpful everyone around here is!
Meridian ()

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.museumreplicas.com/becomeyourownjedi.aspx

What about that? Does anybody have experience with them enough to say whether it's worth it or not?
forceflaw (jarred daski)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Colorado Wildfires 2012 Relief Award (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a hole thread on that I have yet to see any good comments. I got mien off of e-bay and I agree be careful who you buy it from. I had mine fitted however the fabric is only polly cotton (sheet like fabric). I love it though and it was a good price to start off at because I dint want to jump in the deep end before I started to swim. Now over the next year though I will be upgrading parts to better fabric. I think the fit of the costume is more important then the fabric but if you try this love it and know you will be doing it for years to come go for best costume you can find.

18 " aggressive negotiations "
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: