About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=101f06cb70917ec212d387a896b7a41bMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

SW:TOR Jedi Consular (Trailer/Battlemaster PVP Outfit)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DarthGM (Phil Maiewski)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 2 (View more...)
Silver Star (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 4:29 pm    Post subject: SW:TOR Jedi Consular (Trailer/Battlemaster PVP Outfit) Reply with quote

Greetings Jedi!

Well, I've turned into something of a SW:TOR fiend (I co-host a podcast about it, after all), and I've been itching to get this costume done for many moons now. After a failed attempt to get it done for PaxEast (Bioware snookered me and didn't commit to going to the last minute), I'm working on having this ready for June 10th for the Alderaan Base's apperance with the 501st NEG at Granite State Comic Con.

This is the Jedi I'm working on.

Concept artwork for outfit. Note colors have changed

This is the original Battlemaster PVP outfit for the Jedi Consular, and when the teaser trailer video posted for this guy last year, I knew I wanted to do his look. A big, bald guy with a goatee, covered in robes, and kicking major butt.

Here's a link to that trailer...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NMhpxkNXO-4

I have other reference pictures for the outfit too, including tight details of the gloves, belt, and feet. These were provided by a wonderful contact in Bioware. Mr. Green

I've had the fabrics since January. It's been a long process of finding all the right materials to put this guy together, but progress has been made. The trickiest part, we think, is the skirt. It's got 5 layers too it, so we're making it in bands to keep the weight down and attaching them sequentially underneath the one above it. My finace (aka Head Seamstress) came up with an awesome idea for the bottom Runes, and how to make them pop and seem to glow.

The parts of the skirt are just about done and almost ready for assembly. This past weekend while she worked on the runes on the bottom skirt layer, I cut out the pieces to the outer leather robe, and the inner blue robe.

Our goal is to have the runes on the blue inner robe (and the blue/brown hood) glow. I've picked up three strands of 3' EL ribbon, and have means to try to get them to light up.

I know, I know...
Pics will be forthcoming as soon as possible.

I'm really looking forward to seeing how this turns out, and hopefully joining the ranks of the Jedi here in the Legion, even if only "informally".

(Although, given the outfit and how it's displayed, all you nice folks in Costume Approval can expect a small essay on why I think this should be considered "formal". I'm not sayin', I'm just sayin'...) Wink

Thanks for reading!
Blue Banshee Leader (Alex Buirch)
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

Medals: None

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This should be quite the neat outfit. Good luck, I'll look forward to seeing more.

B-wing Pilot - Anomid Jedi

-My Homepage-
-Cosplay.com Profile-
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Atrus ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love an ambitious costume!! Good luck, you can do it!

"It will be a hard life. One without reward, without remorse, without regret, a path will be placed before you. The choice is yours alone, do what you think you cannot do. It will be a hard life, but you will find out who you are."
DarthGM (Phil Maiewski)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! I cannot wait to have this outfit on down in Florida for Celebration 6.

5 layers of material, with one of them being leather? Perfect for Orlando in August!
Mr. Green

(...I'm gonna fry...)
Evil or Very Mad
DarthGM (Phil Maiewski)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 3:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This has not been an easy build, by no stretch of the imagination.

Let's start with the robes...thanks to David Bass from Bioware, I was able to get some good reference images...

Now lets see where I am...

The basic look is there, but it's pretty far from done. Also, these pictures were taken on a very warm day, late at night, and after a while of trying to wrestle with the "unique" design of how the belt closes. I know it's not sitting right, and the skirt isn't hemmed up right, but it's pretty much a preliminary fitting.

My fiance had a great idea to embroider the runes with mylar thread. Awesome plan. Too bad each rune took her an average of 40 minutes to do, due to how easy mylar thread snaps in a sewing machine. Still, they do glimmer.

The start of my hand wraps. Again, a long way to go. I'm using a pair of nice Nike baseball batting gloves as a base. That way I'll be more assured to have a good grip on the lightsaber.

Fun with EL Tape...glowing runes...

And here's my hairy legs in foot wraps. I've got to clean them up a bit. This was taken in a mirror, so I don't have to worry that I put them together on the wrong feet like I just did now...man, I need to sleep more.

I've got a ways to go, and not a heck of a lot of time to do it...I really need to have this done by the second weekend in August to even have a shot at getting this approved for the Legion in time for C6.

Neutral

I really don't know if I can get this all done or not in time.

Ah well, onward and upwards...
jedibarriss ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebel Legion CV Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow.. Phil.. this is looking great... most impressive.
General_Koon (Rick Vargas)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Impressive! the use of EL tape is awesome!

so far all I can say in terms of criticism is that you need to be sure you fit all the parts in the right place. The inclined chest flaps over the brown obi for example, need to be tighter together so less of the obi is visible and the inclination is easily spotted.

For the rest, man... this is looking REALLY awesome!
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

General_Koon wrote:
Impressive! the use of EL tape is awesome!

so far all I can say in terms of criticism is that you need to be sure you fit all the parts in the right place. The inclined chest flaps over the brown obi for example, need to be tighter together so less of the obi is visible and the inclination is easily spotted.

For the rest, man... this is looking REALLY awesome!

Yup yup! End of a hot day and the seamstress was ready to stab me with her pins. So not everything was as "tight" as it could be.
Wink
DarthGM (Phil Maiewski)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back from the dead...or near-dead, anyway.

The outfit is about 90% done; it's just a matter of getting some of the pieces together.

I've started work on the rough draft of the Costume Standards write-up for this, and I'm trying to figure out if something is allowed even before I submit.

The outfit is designed to be worn with not one, but two robes (one of them leather). To help cut down on the layers, my fiance devised a "mock Obi and Tabard" to match the look of the tunic without the weight of the fabric.

Here's the reference image I'm working with...

And here's my tunic with "Mock adjustments" (obi and...tabards? I don't even know what to call them, the angle is too sharp for typical tabards...).

Another view (with my gloves and arm wraps).

Given that the shirt is compelely tucked into a second Obi (the gold one, behind the belt), and all of the shirt below the belt is obscured by the skirts (4 layers in their own right, by the by), I think as long as it looks right, it should be alright.

Or am I mistaken...?
DarthGM (Phil Maiewski)
Active Legion Member

Boston Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While I haven't been able to finish the costume yet, I have made some headway on the saber.

Inspired by many of the sabers in game...

I've got a blue latching AV switch to match the one on the saber with sound. That's the next (and final) project for the saber.

Maybe before the end of the year, I'll get back to finishing the costume. Step-by-step, I suppose.
roguehunter (Russell Hunter)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The costume is awesome!!! I too am looking at creating a Jedi tunic/robes from the TOR series that I found online as well. You amaze me with your engineering of that saber, very nice craftsmanship!!!! I, personally, look forward to seeing your final results! Bravo!!!
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is looking mighty impressive!! Kudos to your "master seamstress"!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: