Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=67417de4fdfbca7f14aa3193153160eeMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Plo Koon (CW) style build thread - a Rubies Mod
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi -> Jedi Tutorials
View previous topic :: View next topic  
General_Koon (Rick Vargas)
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

issue with the padding is solved finally and no foam filling nor anything like that was needed.

The Green Lantern mask I glued to the inside of the face still retains the elastic strap it came with. It so happens that when I put the mask on with the strap holding the front of the mask to my face the rest of it falls all nicely and all over the rest of my head with minimum padding on just the top of my head.

The back of the mask where the seam touches my neck comfortably so velcro loop will be added to both flaps of the seam and a velcro hook strip of about 3 inches will be stitched to the balaclava I wear under all my latex masks to latch the mask in 2 basic support areas.

The inside of the head will be reinforced with foam sheeting (1cm thick) glued with latex cut in the shape of the cranium and then covered with latex to isolate the material from sweat. that will give the mask enough support to maintain it's shape even when saber sparring.

Eyesight is now my main concern...

the eye openings is small. If I use accurate holed eye plates visibility will be greatly reduced to around 25% a staggering 10% or my normal eyesight. I don't want to just use mesh as I want to keep it as accurate as I can so I might try a mixture of black curved mesh with 1cm glued over the mesh with the correct pattern to simulate the look.

On the good side of news my Obi Wan Force FX lightsaber with removable blade and Belt with boxes and capsules arrived today and are now waiting for me home to open them.

Frank wrote to me stating that he'll have the accurate machined Plo Hilt ready around the end of the month and that it'll be in my hands by the 5th tops.

Man... I'm dying to have this costume done! hahahaha

Patience sucks Yoda! Laughing
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 3:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okey! New update:

Obi saber and jedi belt arrived last night and they are gorgeous.

I can tell I´ll have issues with the belt in a few months if I don´t treat it with care.

I´ll definitely have it remade in real leather for resistance.

The obi saber... well... it´s beautiful but I´m not a real Fan of Obi myself so as soon as Francisco´s Hilt comes in I´ll transfer the insides to the new hilt and sell the Obi Hilt with the base.

Now I have no idea how much would just the hilt and the base cost... Any ideas? it cost me around 150 shipped so... help with a selling price?

I though for a split second to adapt the buttpiece of the plastic plo koon saber to the butt of the obi saber and perhaps adapt an aluminum pipe over the grenade but then I decided not to be a CHEAP SHABUIR and not stop Frank from finishing my hilt.

here´s soem pics of the pieces I have right now

the lot of stuff so far

the belt

The belt right side

The belt left side

The Obi Saber (blade detached, not pictured here) with the plastic plo saber hilt butt for show

The Talons are still in my buddy´s home waiting for us to open the mold and pour resin this weekend.

Smile
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Repainting of the flesh of the mask. Looking WAY better.

Still need to add shadow tones, just a tad of orange, airbrushing the veins and the sensorial membranes (or whatever those things are)

NOTE: need to pay special attention on the masking of the lenses. it's easy to miss a spot here and there that will need to be repainted in the metallic color.
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

General_Koon wrote:
Okey! New update:
The obi saber... well... it´s beautiful but I´m not a real Fan of Obi myself so as soon as Francisco´s Hilt comes in I´ll transfer the insides to the new hilt and sell the Obi Hilt with the base.

Now I have no idea how much would just the hilt and the base cost... Any ideas? it cost me around 150 shipped so... help with a selling price?

I don't really know what you mean by the base, but an empty OWK hilt usually ends up selling for about 50-60 on ebay. If you mean the stand then they tend to go for up to 20 from my ebay viewing times.

Either way, make sure the guts will fit properly in the Francisco hilt before you do anything, and you'll probably end up wanting to put in your own guts at some point anyway *WEG*
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah I meant the stand.

So overall an empty hilt with the stand would go for 80 bucks? sounds reasonable.

I won't dismantle the Obi Saber until I get Francisco's hilt just to be sure I can adapt everything but I think it can be done since I saw a video in youtube of a guy that did just that with an anakin force FX.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KIkXfA-qrCk

I do plan on upgrading the emitter to a Luxeon dueling kit later on but for the C6 deadline this will have to do.

I feel so close and yet so far haha.

Razz
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, RedArc's build was quite solid. I'm just saying that it is possible the dimensions of your parts may be slightly different than what he used.

Always something to keep in mind, should be fine though as long as you're only moving the board and blade etc instead of the whole assembly.

I look forward to seeing it man, and I'm sure that by the time you're ready to go to a high power LED assembly, you'll be ready to wire up a nice multi die and get yourself some Flash on Clash as well!

Keep us all updated!
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 5:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I came directly home to work on the mask paint.

withing a couple of hours this was the result (I also added the lenses made from a headset I had lying around)

tomorrow I´ll add the veins like patter over the skin, add a more raw skin tone to the tripe-ish respirator tubes, repaint the visor and breathing mask and seal the entire thing with a misting of clear coating.
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definitely looking a lot better than it was as a stock mask.

It really is impressive just how much the base products can be saved and made into something useful!
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fully agreed.

The sculpture is really well done for rubies standards, that´s what sold me the idea of making this character´s costume althought I´ve liked the design since the prequels.

i´ve installed the breather armature and the face and cheekbones are now really solid now. I love the way this build is progressing
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

not satisfied with the choice of fabrics the seamstress got for me I went shopping for them myself yesterday.

I´m a texture loving kinda of guy, I hate plain smooth, shiny fabrics and for my Plo I wanted fabrics that would look great in pictures. Texture was really important.

after browsing through 3 stores and dozens of fabrics i chose these 3 for the costume.

The first and lighter one is for the pants and inner shirt with ring collar only. The inner shirt will not have sleeves to keep heat levels as low as possible

although not truly rough textured it does has a visible knitted patter that I liked enough for this and looked accurate to the ones used for the screen used costume.

Next is the fabric for the long sleeved front crossed shirt. This fabric as a really nice pattern to it and the fabric itself is really soft and comfortable. The color is just perfect in my book (I was carrying the action figure around the shop LOL)

and finally the tunic and tabard fabric. I have to say I fell in love with this fabric immediately. The pattern is beautiful and the quality of teh fabric is great. of the 3 this is one I like the most.

I´m taking these to the seamstress now so she can start sewing off everything this week and hopefully have everything ready by the 10th tops.

Wink
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the eye lenses look great, how are they for visibility
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, they could be better... I'm used to stormtrooper and darth vader lenses... this is the first time I try to look through grilled mesh.

I'm thinking about making 2 rows of holes a tad bigger with a regular row between on the horizontal. I had to dremmel through the headset drum protector attachment structure but It was worth it.
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

delivered the fabrics to the seamstress. now it´s just waiting for he to do her thing.

The guys making the wooden bucks for the gaunts did not deliver. being that the bucks would cost 50 bucks plus the plastic for the vacuforming i decided to order a set of accurate gaunts from KWDesigns. They´re on their way because Kevin had a set in stock.
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just finished the Vector art for the gauntlets.

these will be made as vinyl stickers that will be weathered once installed in the Gaunts.

the image is on low definition. If you want the Illustrator file with the correct Size let me know.

cheers.
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

excellent

i painted that pattern by hand on some gaunlets, nightmare
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi -> Jedi Tutorials All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 5 of 10

Jump to: