About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=9b4d7ac700bb43b91a761686b06fe4f8Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Upgrading fans in masks.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Supporters
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Yeo Kero (Charles Wright)
Terrapin Base CO
Terrapin Base CO

Medals: 2 (View more...)
Philippines Typhon Relief (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 11:16 pm    Post subject: Upgrading fans in masks. Reply with quote

I'm currently using a Radio Shack computer fan (cat#273-240) in my A'Sharad Hett Tusken Raider Mask's mouth to draw in air. It runs off of a 9 volt battery and has a switch to kill the circuit. I've always wanted to make it more powerful, especially now that I'm going to CIV. Any suggestions on how to give a little more oomph to this puppy? I understand that it may mean I sacrifice battery life, but that's not an issue.

Terrapin Base Commanding Officer
2013 Annapolis Comic Con 1st place costume winner
Lord Warden of the Royal Privies
Jedi_Boyer (Michel Boyer)
Active Legion Member

Rebel Legion CV Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 2:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use 1-2 squirrel cage fans in my TK helmet. They seem to move a lot more air that a typical computer fans. You can find them on that e-auction site. Sometimes they are also called biscuit fans. They are 12v fans, but can be run off a single 9v battery. Hope that helps.
Terrapin Base CO
Terrapin Base CO

Philippines Typhon Relief (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was looking more for a way to boost the strength of what I have now, as the open fan design lets me talk a little more clearly and kinda distorts my voice.

Terrapin Base Commanding Officer
2013 Annapolis Comic Con 1st place costume winner
Lord Warden of the Royal Privies
Jedi of Poker (Tim {T.J.} Balski)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
CVI Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fan's @ 12v...

You're really not going to gain any extra benefit from another 3 volts worth of power. You could use a power source stronger than 12v, but that only serves to burn-out the fan, and batteries stronger than 12v can be dangerous when worn on your person.

I will offer 2 suggestions:

1. Turn the fan around. It serves 2 purposes:
a. Explusing air out the muzzle still generates a cooling effect
b. Shooting air out your muzzle also means that your exhaled carbon dioxide does not blow back at you.

2. Focus your attention toward finding a 9.6v RC car battery w/ 1600 or more miliamps (I've seen some w/ 2200). The more miliamps you have, the longer the fan runs. I've done a full day @ C5 on a single battery.
Bushwhacker extraordinaire/Squad Leader
Phoenix 7

"Flattery will get you nowhere, but {for the sake of my fragile ego} please don't stop trying..."
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Supporters All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: