About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=029b0989e740ad370664a22c34137d8fMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Sydney Saber Arena
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Australia -> Tython Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AhsokaTano ()
Tython Base XO
Tython Base XO

Medals: None

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was fun to practise today, also we were thinking about people who wore glasses, you need to either have a strap so they don't fall off or if you wear contacts then please do so. Oh and another note sensible shoes I know it should go without saying but unfortunately sometimes common sense flies out the window.

Take care,
Kelly.

Last edited by AhsokaTano () on Mon Nov 12, 2012 1:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
AhsokaTano ()
Tython Base XO
Tython Base XO

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 2:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our first training day with Andrew what an awesome day!

Last edited by AhsokaTano () on Mon Nov 12, 2012 1:55 pm; edited 2 times in total
Fyr Mureys ()
Tython Base CO
Tython Base CO

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Hurricane Sandy Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are our combatant legionaries;
Swiv (Chewie); Approved,

Fyr Mureys (Jason); Approved.
Kel Fairtalker (AhsokaTano/Kelly); Approved.

Foxtom (Thomas); Approved.
Ryn Kendar - Skywalker114 (Tom) Approved.

Ixam Let'si (Max); Approved.

Qui-Gon Jinn (Richard); Pending.
Audax; Pending.

In addition, we still have costume Work In Progress (WIP) threads for
Fyr's Generic Jedi General; WIP
Kel's Ahsoka Tano; WIP

To help our new members settle in, I found the following places good to go.

Ask to join the Knights of the Jedi Order (KJO) Detachment

Then introduce yourself to our local Jedi temple, the Temple of the Twin Suns.

Signature banner requests can be put in here Sig files 3.0

Last edited by Fyr Mureys () on Tue Jul 16, 2013 1:48 am; edited 12 times in total
Tirilia (Liz)
Tatooine Base XO
Tatooine Base XO

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Sydney team!

The SVJ Team in Queensland thought you might all like to see what we get up to Smile We've been running Wednesday night practices for the last two years and are really stoked that you guys are picking up the same idea in Sydney - the crowds go Nuts for real duels Smile

So far we've performed our choreographed duels at a few events, the Relay for Life, the Dreamworld Star Wars Weekends (2011 and 2012) and twice at Brisbane Supanova.

We thought you might enjoy seeing our work;
Brisnova 2011 (the only one we 'die' at)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=18PBXu7kdks

Relay for life 2011 (pitch black and 2 of us couldnít see through our masks *lol*)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=svZq6V0uMMo

Dreamworld 2012 - the best vid of the three.. look how far we've come Smile
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WtBcmk-F7Ck

Our Top Tips!
We donít wear safety equipment or take a dozen precautions because we practice practice practice our choreography very slowly until we get it, then we slowly increase the speed. We know when and where our opponent is and where they are going to strike (we need this not only to prevent injury but also because 3 of us have little to no vision in our masks during performance duels)

-If you are all careful and know your choreography (and donít get carried away being silly) then you wonít get hurt. If there is someone being silly and unrefined, yes people will cop it.
-We have one guy who wears glasses - he's never lost them, and he does more barrel rolls and falls-to-the ground than any of us - maybe he just has good glasses *lol*
-Pointed tips on blades havenít been an issue for us because you donít strike with the point, the only tip issue we ever had is that they tend to fly off a lot, so make sure theyíre glued on or be prepared to go on improvised easter-egg hunts *lol*
-Use duelling blades from Ultrasaber - they wonít break on you, ours have lasted 2 years of very hard wear and are only scratched here and there.
-You will cop a fair few whacks on the hands as you get faster, but no more than an ice pack canít fix Smile You canít really wear safety gloves for performances, so it pays to just improve on Not hitting the other persons hand and go slow until you know what youíre doing.
-Head wounds! We've had two of these.. as you'll see from the intro of the 2011 Supanova video. One was simply mistiming (hilt base connected with head) and the other was caused by a blade flexing from a hit and catching skin). Neither required stitches and bled more than the actual injury deserved.
-One of our guys uses the War Glaive, the claws havenít been an issue because the hilt rarely gets anywhere near your opponent - its only downfall is that sometimes an opponentís hilt gets caught under a claw and we have to pause while it's worked free.

If you guys Arenít doing choreographed fights, and are instead using lightsabers as you would in a fencing competition (where you Donít know what your opponent is going to do) then yes, safety equipment is absolutely a must Smile

If you Do end up doing choreographed fights, take it slow, learn your timings, work on technique rather than speed and it will stand you in good stead. Have no illusions about the time and effort involved in learning a full choreographed duel, you will need to be dedicated Smile

If you guys need or want any advice around lightsabers, problems we've encountered etc, we'd be delighted to share our experiences.

I guess thats all from me! See you on the facebook page Smile
oigen

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well said trill.

yes i am the one that wears glasses and it wasn't really a problem with lightsabre practice but when doing it in public i did switch to contacts just to be safe.

i would have to say also trusting your partner in this is a big thing. being on time with the strikes is important and knowing where the other person is going to be makes all the difference.

start slowly and build your confidence first and practice, practise, practice.

best of luck to all involved
Fyr Mureys ()
Tython Base CO
Tython Base CO

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice, Oigen.

The only problem that I see with knowing where your partner is going to be and where they're going to hit is that we are not choreographing our fights. Every fight is unique and relies on the skill and ability of the individual fighter.

We are basing our saber duelling on mediaeval metal weapons combat, and as such we are developing the style as a martial art rather than a show. We may well work some choreography into it at a later date for shows, but for now, it's all about the fighting, and plenty of mediaeval shows have been fantastic without choreo.

Hence the insistance on safety equipment, pulled blows and careful training.

We appreciate the assistance and advice of those who have gone before us, of course, and look forward to seeing if we can work together on getting massive battles together. Indeed, if everyone knows who is a fighter and who is choreographed, I see no reason why choreographed fights couldn't go on interspersed with non-choreographed fighters. The audience wouldn't know the difference!

Tython Base Facebook Page
Chewie ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Removed

Last edited by Chewie () on Sat May 25, 2013 6:10 am; edited 1 time in total
Fyr Mureys ()
Tython Base CO
Tython Base CO

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Swiv,

Without us going up there and training with them, it's not reasonable for us to join their choreographed fights, or them our melees.

What I've been thinking about is for us to train around moving fighters doing training sequences to simulate choreographed fights. If we have enough space, we could have a series of choreographed fights going on simultaneously while Arena fighters flow around and through the gaps between them fighting our way. That would certainly give us the benefit of having everyone on the field and fighting, without interfering with each other's styles. It's a thought, and worth discussing further.

I've already spoken to Qin at length about this, and their trainer is also a mediaevalist, so you never know... There may be more overlap than we expect. For now, we should focus on our own art and worry about fighting with others once we are better trained and more established as our own team.

Fyr

Adam.S ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey guys , good luck on your ventures, and I hope to come out one day and have a crack.
I'll repost your first post on the SCG forum for any one interested if you guys would like.
The guys in QLD have done some great stuff up there , it's a high light of Dream world troop .

New South Wales/ACT
Australia
501st CC 5722
Hopfot (Scott)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tirilia wrote:

-One of our guys uses the War Glaive, the claws havenít been an issue because the hilt rarely gets anywhere near your opponent - its only downfall is that sometimes an opponentís hilt gets caught under a claw and we have to pause while it's worked free.

I am the one with the War Glave. We did have 1 minor incident with the War Glave, I think your absent during the practice where I hit myself in the head with it whilst blocking an overhead attack. Kinda hurt a little but nothing compared to our other 2 injuries.

Also I think I have taken more hits than any other member of SvJ, I have been fortunate not to be the one who took the hilt to the head. But I have been hit MANY times, mostly by Moxxxie (I suspect she is really trying to get me Razz ). But it's not that bad, some hits hurt, most just sting for a second then go away. And pray there isn't a move that has a 6 foot giant kicking you in the face, then duck and move when he swings a blade at full strength and speed. Razz

but anyhow, Tiri has given great pointers there and so has Oigen. Another video worth viewing for tips on lightsaber choreography.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=TS3atbH5hfg
Tython Base CO
Tython Base CO

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, that is funny! And almost the opposite of what we train, lol.

We are fighters. We are aiming for controlled strikes to the meaty areas of the body, pulled, safe hits, but real. We are not aiming to miss, and we are not aiming for each other's sabers. We are not aiming to stay away if our opponent leaves an opening, we are aiming to strike in that opening and take them down.

Choreography is great in putting on a show, but that is not what we do. We have begun a training program that is a variant of Mediaeval, designed as a martial art. It also happens to look great in a show!

Fyr

Hopfot (Scott)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fyr Mureys wrote:

We are fighters. We are aiming for controlled strikes to the meaty areas of the body, pulled, safe hits, but real. We are not aiming to miss, and we are not aiming for each other's sabers.

Yeah we actually do the same in SvJ. The saying we have "If you get hit, it's your own fault" Razz. Hence why I've been hit alot. Razz

Although we have a tendency to aim for Sabers at first. Razz
Tython Base CO
Tython Base CO

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hopfot wrote:
Yeah we actually do the same in SvJ. The saying we have "If you get hit, it's your own fault" Razz. Hence why I've been hit alot. Razz

Although we have a tendency to aim for Sabers at first. Razz

Everyone does. It looks cool until one of the trainers simply moves their saber out of the way and asks; "What was that supposed to hit?" It's part of our training. Qin mentioned that one of you is a mediaevalist up there, did none of you ever consider using that style of training rather than sticking to the choreo?

Hmmm... Any relation to the Hopfot in the Mando Mercs?

Hopfot (Scott)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fyr Mureys wrote:

Everyone does. It looks cool until one of the trainers simply moves their saber out of the way and asks; "What was that supposed to hit?" It's part of our training. Qin mentioned that one of you is a mediaevalist up there, did none of you ever consider using that style of training rather than sticking to the choreo?

There are times we have a little fun with doing the fighting style you are talking about, but only ever at practice and to waist time. Plenty of times myself and Cutter, Nihilius in this years DW video, we would have a little play fight Actually try and hit each other. Would get in some pretty good length volleys too sometimes Razz.

Fyr Mureys wrote:

Hmmm... Any relation to the Hopfot in the Mando Mercs?

Yep, the one and the same. Just know, there is only 1 Hopfot, so anywhere you see the name, I am there. Razz
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 4:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We are comparing apples and oranges here. Choreographed battles are not real fighting and this style of duelling doesn't make for spectacular entertainment. Primarily the purpose of SvJ is to put on a show for the public. The duelling that you guys do has the primary objective of being fun for its participants. That's a great objective.

I have no doubt that either group could learn what the other does but currently we are doing different things. As long as we are all having fun then we are all winning. Good luck in your endeavours SSA.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Australia -> Tython Base All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 1 of 9

Jump to: