About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=f2d7d9577e6db5043265bec8c476dddeMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Clone armor
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Clones of the Republic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
forceflaw (jarred daski)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Colorado Wildfires 2012 Relief Award (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 9:38 pm    Post subject: Clone armor Reply with quote

I want to get a clone costume for RL and 501st...I have no skill with costume making modeling ect. Any one looking to get ride of old stuff or have good recommendations wear I can buy some? I am looking for any kind although Ep3 clones,sev, boss, and scorch are preferred. Thanks

18 " aggressive negotiations "
Commander Cody (Jason R.)
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

CVI Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Jerrod, are you looking for a set of armor that has already been built, painted, and completely fished? Or would you be willing to assemble and paint it yourself?

The latter option would be much more economically friendly to your wallet Wink Plus, if you assemble it yourself, it will be custom fit for your body and size.

RAID Commanding Officer | Legion Costume Judge- Rebel Troopers & Officers | Ohio Garrison XO, 501st Legion
forceflaw (jarred daski)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How easy is it to billed and paint how do you do that snap to geather super glue hahaha how do you paint it? I'll put it this way I can do skill level 2 modle cars that's about it :p. is there a how to section on painting and assembling? I would prob be looking for already made like put togeather painted but I'm open for links ideas and sugestions for both.

Commander Cody (Jason R.)
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Refer to this thread for a break-down on the process of buying a kit and assembling it yourself, http://www.rebellegion.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=18857

The 501st Clonetrooper Forum ( http://forum.clonetroopers.net/index.php? ) has numerous tutorials on the building process, too.

RAID Commanding Officer | Legion Costume Judge- Rebel Troopers & Officers | Ohio Garrison XO, 501st Legion
forceflaw (jarred daski)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't want to make my self seem lazy or dumb but that seems above my skill level:p. I don't want to sink in a ton of money on parts and peaces them screw it up and it be not usable. I think I'll go with the premaids and finished any ideas or recommendations for that?

DL (Johan Hanson)

Medals: None

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Be prepared that a Clone Trooper costume can be quite expensive, difficult and a lot of work, especially if you choose to make a movie-style clone. (I hear that animated style is easier)
Expect that it would take you about a year and a fifteen hundred dollars to acquire all the parts and build it. Building space can also be an issue.
If you buy a used, finished armour then fit could be an issue. Even people with the same height and waist size can be built differently. Finished armour is still expensive.

If you still want to do it I would recommend looking through the sales threads over at clonetroopers.net . Avoid eBay.
forceflaw (jarred daski)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks I'll check it out!

Obey Wann (William Blackburn)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 3:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going to warn you... this might not be the costume for you.

Clones are among the most challenging builds out there. To get one done right, and to get it approved, can take a lot of time, money and effort.

And there is always the rule of 3:

- You can have it done accurately
- You can have it quickly
- You can have it (relatively) inexpensive

Choose 2 of the 3.

If you want it cheap and fast, it will not be accurate.
If you want it cheap and accurate, it will take a long time.
Etc, etc, etc.

If and when a completed kit goes up for sale, you have to make sure that you are the same height, weight, and close to the same shoe size and other dimensions as the seller.

If you are skinnier, then you might have to trim. If you are bigger, you will have to shim. Either way, you will have to modify it, even to the point of redoing the seams, painting, weathering, etc. Plus, each clone is custom fit to the maker, so what works for one person might not work for you. Buyer beware.

Clones are NOT easy kits, and they are not entry level.

I did a movie style EP2 kit at first, and it took me almost a year to do because I tried to do it cheap. I started with no skills, no tools, and no hard armor experience. I paid a lot of stupid tax. My snowclone took months, and my recent animated kit took me 2 weeks... but I had also built a snowtrooper by that point, so I was used to the build process.

If I haven't scared you away yet, then go to CTN and look at animated clone kits by Kev. There will be some WIP threads there. Also look at Hawaii Rex's recent phase 2 Rex kit. Those are relatively easier than the movie style ones.

Do your research. Then do more research. Ask questions from experienced folks before you buy.

Be prepared to spend $1200+ to complete a kit, or to buy a completed kit. Tools, extra parts (officer's blasters, kama, rangefinders, etc) can add several hundred dollars to the final price.

If you are still up to doing a clone, LMK. I can point you to some good WIP threads at CTN. We don't have a lot of WIP threads here yet, but if you poke around, you'll find them.

Good luck, and MTFBWY.

GotWookiee (Matt Pfingsten)
Active Legion Member

Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 4:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

forceflaw wrote:
that seems above my skill level:p.

"So certain are you? Always with you what cannot be done."
"Do, or do not, there is no try."
And my personal favorite "I... I don't believe it!" "That, is why you fail."

We all "didn't have the skill" when we started out. When I first wanted to build a Chewie costume, I knew nothing about building costumes, sculpting, making molds, or anything else. I didn't have any innate talent. I just learned through trial and error. Fortunately the internet, and especially YouTube, have really enabled dumbasses like me to learn this stuff much faster than I might have done on my own.

The same is true for everyone in this club. Don't believe the hype about talent. Talent is really the product of experience, and you only get experience by challenging yourself. The only difference between those who have built the really impressive costumes is their attitude: When faced with a challenge they say "I Can..." rather than "I Can't."

Listen to Yoda. Luke fails to lift the X-Wing because "I Can't" before he has even tried, and after lifting the X-Wing himself, Yoda explains that his lack of belief in his own capabilities is why he failed and no other reason.

Yoda teaching Skywalker
forceflaw (jarred daski)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 4:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok thanks every one after seeing above and talking to others Im going to hold off for a bit I don't have them money for now (college, upcoming wedding ect.) cant get all this together but I will come back some day i promise. O and love the yoda quotes I have a calendar every day it gives inspiration with them!

jungilizt (Eddie)
Active Legion Member

Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look at me for instance. It took me almost an entire year to get my ARC trooper done. I wanted to be the first Fives on the block and got beat out by Randy here in Florida. He has been a GREAT help in finishing the final little touches on my costume and I am very thankful for him and the other 501st ARCs here in Florida.

My complete lack of experience has really given me a lot of well, EXPERIENCE. Especially since an ARC is a very difficult thing to take on. It was my first armor suit, which might have been a bad idea on my part. Go big or go home though, right?

Overall this costume took me almost 2grand. Bought all of these things -

armor kit, helmet, fans for helmet, visor for helmet, suspension system for helmet, ARC parts, blasters w/holsters, shoes, Dickies suspenders, industrial sticky back velcro, black elastic, duck cloth for Kama, grey dye for Kama, underarmor pants and shirt, black gloves, neck wrap/helmet seal, battery powered dremmel, sandpaper, palm sander, bondo, paint(TONS of paint and every freaking color in the rainbow), painter's tape, Gorilla Super Glue, and PVC cement.

Hmmm, am I forgetting anything? Ha, yeah a lot of stuff. It is time consuming, you WILL need a decent amount of room to work with OR just take it slow and work one part at a time.

Steps are basically -
trimming armor/cutting it to fit, sanding spots, gluing, bondoing, sanding, painting. Sounds easy enough right? Maybe after the first couple of builds it becomes easier.
Jedi serve others rather than ruling over them, for the good of the galaxy.
Jedi seek to improve themselves through knowledge and training.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
forceflaw (jarred daski)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok bit of un update hear. operation clone is well kinda back on. I will be joining the 501st academy to help with making it and stuff and do a duel membership. Now I have to just save ALOT to get money in order (may be a few years). Any one have recommend sellers that make kits, buckets, blasters, shoos, seals, ect. (I am doing animated clone session 1)

I will most likely talk to woodenchuck over at clonetroopers.net about guns

I have under armor already for under suit

Also over at clones.net found the next few links

http://forum.clonetroopers.net/index.php?showtopic=15148
Helmet/Kit

http://forum.clonetroopers.net/index.php?showtopic=15148
Seal

Any one had dealing with these guys? I heard the neck seal is good any one have the Kit or Helmet?

Then shoos are all thats left Im hear nurses shoos are good? Thoughts on that?

Then I have window shopping done and just need money saved up and to billed. Thanks

Last edited by forceflaw (jarred daski) on Thu Aug 09, 2012 6:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
forceflaw (jarred daski)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok so the 2nd link up there also has armor for 225 more any one have dealing with any of the two armor makers can any one tell me why such a price difference?

General_Koon (Rick Vargas)
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the price difference has nothing to do with the armor. I can tell you that much. Some armor makers just decide to charge for their work 1000 dollars while some leave it at cost without charging for their work nothing more than the bare minimum.

Kev´s armor is awesome and that is the kit I´ll be buying for my commander Wolfe when I get fit enough for it. At the price I would jump over it in a hearbeat.
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jarred, let's try to keep all of your clone-related questions to one thread, instead of making new threads for the same topic.

Thanks Smile

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Clones of the Republic All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: