About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=f5359c12f867e54731a28ff9784c5b45Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Tarfful & Chewie builds
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Chewbacca and Other Wookiees
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lumpy (Chris Blackstock)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 2 (View more...)
Rebel Legion CV Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is that you used to wrap around the front of the stilts to cover the shoes??
I like the idea to help conceal the person's feet. Very Happy

Medals: None

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lumpy wrote:
What is that you used to wrap around the front of the stilts to cover the shoes??
I like the idea to help conceal the person's feet. Very Happy

Its just a section of yoga mat.
Torment (Jason Rucci)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This might be too late, but I am going to stongly suggest you replace the wooden dowel supports with something metal. The wood will break with prolonged trooping and walking. The wear and tear and flex will stress out the supports in time. I think my wooden supports lasted 2 months then snapped when I was walking. I have since swapped them out for steel. It adds more weight, but Id take that for strength any day.
Dougie Fett ()

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Torment wrote:
This might be too late, but I am going to stongly suggest you replace the wooden dowel supports with something metal. The wood will break with prolonged trooping and walking. The wear and tear and flex will stress out the supports in time. I think my wooden supports lasted 2 months then snapped when I was walking. I have since swapped them out for steel. It adds more weight, but Id take that for strength any day.

The dowels are under no stress whatsoever...their main purpose is to stop ankle injury, that's pretty much it. I have trooped a lot too and never had any trouble with my lifts besides replacing foam toes with fibreglass ones.

Replacing them would be very easy anyway...if it was necessary.
Torment (Jason Rucci)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 4:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know what they do Smile I use them the same way on mine. I admit totally stealing your idea on these. Because I was using mine so much the supports broke. I think I had about 10 troops in with them and the left leg broke. Scared the crap out of me when the support went. I couldnt walk very well. I have about 12 troops in now with the metal supports and its held up incredibly well. I walked about a half mile parade with them and not a single issue. I wanted to throw that out there for you just incase. Maybe the wood you have is better than the crap that I got? Either way looking forward to seeing this suit done!
Dougie Fett ()

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Torment wrote:
I know what they do Smile I use them the same way on mine. I admit totally stealing your idea on these. Because I was using mine so much the supports broke. I think I had about 10 troops in with them and the left leg broke. Scared the crap out of me when the support went. I couldnt walk very well. I have about 12 troops in now with the metal supports and its held up incredibly well. I walked about a half mile parade with them and not a single issue. I wanted to throw that out there for you just incase. Maybe the wood you have is better than the crap that I got? Either way looking forward to seeing this suit done!

Now that u mention it, they are broom handles...not sure what type of wood it is but the grain is very strong. Aluminium could be a good alternative.
Dougie Fett ()

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tarf complete!!

Wookiewannabe ()
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks great.....nice hair blending of NFT hair.

Chewy Layers snow to print
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Chewbacca and Other Wookiees All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: