Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=b9c37be1f1f665ffbc0a81b57a023fabMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Ceremonial Leia Build
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Leia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tinabelle2006 ()

Medals: None

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 1:13 am    Post subject: Ceremonial Leia Build Reply with quote

Well, I am finally ready to join the Rebellion! cheerleader After some research, I am ready to begin my Ceremonial Leia build. I went to Jo-Ann Fabrics today and got my fabric, buttons for the belt, and sculpting clay to make the bracelet.

I ordered my necklace from Etsy.com because that project is a little more ambitious than my current prop building skill level. I think this is one of the key points of the costume, so I want it as close to perfect as possible.
After looking at a few tutorials, including Kay-Dee's (which is awesome, btw), I was unable to find a current pattern with the numbers listed in them. I did find a close match with this one:

I still need to get the aluminum and leather for the belt, shoes, and my hair extensions. The company that makes the hair that I want is 30 minutes from my house. I'll drop by there to make sure I get the color as close to mine as possible.

I'll post up pictures as soon as I begin! Any input would be greatly appreciated Very Happy
Kay_Dee (Kathy)
Endor Base CO
Endor Base CO

Medals: 3 (View more...)
Rebel Legion CV Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the pattern you found may give you problems as it lacks any sort of seam under the bust. I'd suggest digging around and looking a bit more for patterns that have the correct bust construction as it could be challenging to try to draft that yourself. Have you also tried ebay, etsy and other web sites that sell used patterns?

Rebel Legion - Endor Base
Kay-Dee's Costume Site
Facebook: Kay Dee Collection and Costumes
Princess Sandy ()
Legion XO
Legion XO

Medals: 2 (View more...)
CVI Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go to Hancock Fabrics and look through the bridal section for a pattern. I know I saw a few patterns for either wedding dresses or brides maid dresses that that the seam under the bust that would probably work for this.
www.facebook.com/PrincessSandy41280
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
tinabelle2006 ()

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I realized it lacked the seam under the breast once I posted the picture. whack My eyes started to cross when I was at Jo-Ann's looking at all the patterns, so I think I was just so happy to find something even remotely close. dizzy
I have been looking online for patterns more similar since, but I had not thought of looking for the older patterns on Etsy or eBay. That's an awesome suggestion! I'll check Hancock Fabrics out, as well. Thanks Kathy and Sandy for your suggestions! bow
Lora Skywalker ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The pattern you posted could be used for the underdress; that don't need any bust seams. Wink And if you're used to making your own patterns it could be modified as well for the overdress. But if you can find a pattern with the right seamlines that would probably be easier. I made my pattern from scratch so can't help you find one.

I just kinda hope you make the small trail, since it seems many forget about it when doing this dress. Smile

http://headoftheclones.proboards59.com/index.cgi -if you like FF of the crazy kind. Wink Clone Leader
Kay_Dee (Kathy)
Endor Base CO
Endor Base CO

Medals: 3 (View more...)
Rebel Legion CV Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honestly, the "lining" of the dress should match the construction of the outer part of the dress. That is how lining works... trying to match up one type of pattern as an under dress to completely different construction for the outer layer is going to be a headache - I don't advise it unless you want a headache and something that could risk not being approved to RL due to construction quality issues.

If I get more time I'll comb through my pattern collection to give you pattern numbers to hunt for on ebay and other used pattern web sites Smile I have a few I collected over the years.

Rebel Legion - Endor Base
Kay-Dee's Costume Site
Facebook: Kay Dee Collection and Costumes
JediDWH (Lisa Curtis)
Sunrider Base CO
Sunrider Base CO

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lora Skywalker wrote:
I just kinda hope you make the small trail, since it seems many forget about it when doing this dress. Smile

I think it's less a matter of forgetting, and more a matter of 'not wanting to deal with it.' I mean, I'm gearing up to rebuild my Ceremonial Leia, and I waffle back and forth on whether or not I want to have it. It looks cool, but is super impractical. I've got a dress with a train (Giselle from Enchanted), and the train is beautiful, but holy crap, it's a pain in the butt sometimes. I end up carrying it around a lot when I'm in crowded areas, which is a less feasible option for Leia. Not to mention it's white, and all that dirt. o.o

Of course, if you have washable, durable fabrics, then go forth, and don't step backwards. Razz

In solidarity with the VFX industry, who brought the Star Wars we know and love to life, I'm going green screen.

My Etsy shop: Sew Corellian
Princess Sandy ()
Legion XO
Legion XO

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We are updating the standards currently, and we are aiming for accuracy, now that we have much more information and pictures available to us than we ever had before, allowing us to revamp the standards.
Ceremonial Leia clearly has the train, so, it will be included in the standards for that costume, so please, do make the train. Smile It doesn't have to be a long train, but a train should be present nonetheless.

Sometimes trains on costumes are very inconvenient, I know this better than anyone with my Lake Dress Padme costume, and yes, sometimes it is a headache, but, its not that bad to deal with, just be careful in it and be mindful of your surroundings while wearing it. Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
JediDWH (Lisa Curtis)
Sunrider Base CO
Sunrider Base CO

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, then thanks for the heads up- the lack of a requirement for it was seriously tempting me to ditch it again. Razz

In solidarity with the VFX industry, who brought the Star Wars we know and love to life, I'm going green screen.

My Etsy shop: Sew Corellian
Princess Sandy ()
Legion XO
Legion XO

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JediDWH wrote:
Well, then thanks for the heads up- the lack of a requirement for it was seriously tempting me to ditch it again. Razz

Haha yes, I definitely know what you mean Wink and you are welcome. Hopefully we will have the new standards up soon. Smile
Lora Skywalker ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice to hear you are adding it to the standards, Sandy. Always wondered why it wasn't mentioned in them. Smile

And it's not that bad walking around with it. Just don't take any steps backward, 'cause you'll step on it. Rolling Eyes
And for going outside or in very crowded areas you could just take a safety pin and pin it up and off the ground. It doesn't necessarily look bad doing that.

Sure my chiffon gets dirty and have to be washed after every troop, but I wanted accuracy so that's just something I'll have to deal with. Wink

http://headoftheclones.proboards59.com/index.cgi -if you like FF of the crazy kind. Wink Clone Leader
Princess Leah ()
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the pattern that I've used for every past incarnation of the Ceremonial dress (and there have been 4 as my weight fluctuated and reference material became more available). It has the under bust seam needs, it's easily alterable to fit the needs of this dress, and it's a good length to start with.

It's Butterick 6593.

Mieal Deneb (Rachel Orange)
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Droid Wranglers (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 2:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I was going to say the neckline would be easier to alter than the under bust seaming, so look for a pattern with the under bust seaming that is accurate.

Princess Sandy ()
Legion XO
Legion XO

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 2:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just wanted to inform everyone that it looks like the train on this costume is going to remain optional for now, so, you can do it or not do it, and still be accepted as formal. The train is definitely more accurate, but, if you are concerned with ease of trooping, then you are allowed to not put the train.
tinabelle2006 ()

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now that MegaCon is behind me (whew) I am back to this build. I have my braids ready to go, but they are heavy! What is the best way to keep them attached to my hair?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Leia All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: