About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=d8544de1abd7792019aef60ab97c6c20Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Can I add LEDs to my chest box and still be consider canon?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Pilots -> X-Wing Pilots
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Orion Knight-Star (Alex McKeel)
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 6:57 pm    Post subject: Can I add LEDs to my chest box and still be consider canon? Reply with quote

I want to add leds to my chest box but if I do will I still be canon?

Just want to have them light up when I am wearing it to make it look operational.

thanks
alex
edgejedi (Jase Fox)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suspect it wouldnt....but wth it would sure be fun!

This is a box I had about three or four years ago....(I dont have itnow, it was a prototype that never went any further than the one box)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=znCTDNlcc9k&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Rebel Legion Council Emeritus : Base Command Liaison Officer - 2007/08
Rebel Legion UK Emeritus : Commanding Officer - 2005 to 2009
Blue Banshee Leader (Alex Buirch)
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LEDs in a chestbox are, as far as I know, acceptable. Canon, maybe not, but acceptable. I have LEDs in my chestbox, as well as my commpad, and even had pictures of it when I submitted my old B-wing pilot costume, and had no problems getting it accepted. There are a number of RL members with LEDs in their equipment.

Though I would recommend, for your profile picture, to have a picture without the LEDs on. For one, just to be safe, and two, because bright LEDs in pictures can be a little distracting. But the rest of your pictures in your profile could have them on.

B-wing Pilot - Anomid Jedi

-My Homepage-
-Cosplay.com Profile-

Last edited by Blue Banshee Leader (Alex Buirch) on Fri Jun 22, 2012 11:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
WedgeAntilles (James Norman)
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

Medals: 2 (View more...)
Gold Star (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 10:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Can I add LEDs to my chest box and still be consider can Reply with quote

Orion Knight-Star wrote:

Well no it wouldn't be canon, but I don't see why we wouldn't accept it anyways. But I agree with Alex, it might be best to keep them off when you take your pictures and if you're at a strict canon event turn them off if you're asked to although I don't see why you would be.
pico (Joe Cygan)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 3:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For a perspective, the Tie Fighter has similar switches with "holes". For canon they must be dark. This does not mean there can't be LED lights in there, they just must not be lit up to be true canon. Most events its not only allowed but encouraged to light up those blinkies.

If you are worried, just add a canon-on/canon-off switch Smile
Orion Knight-Star (Alex McKeel)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 5:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everyone
edgejedi (Jase Fox)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 3:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Can I add LEDs to my chest box and still be consider can Reply with quote

iam8114 wrote:
Orion Knight-Star wrote:

Well no it wouldn't be canon, but I don't see why we wouldn't accept it anyways. But I agree with Alex, it might be best to keep them off when you take your pictures and if you're at a strict canon event turn them off if you're asked to although I don't see why you would be.
Im pleased to see that the RL LCJs have encouraged creativity and the touches of 'realism' that can be brought James, they sure didnt have that back when I tried to submit it a few years back Wink

Would it be considered as 'formal' then or 'informal' if submitted with the rest of a fully clearable costume?

DroidWelder ()

Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the box is built properly, then it really shouldn't matter if it has LED's built in as far as rating it as formal or not.
Most of the screen used boxes had square buttons on them that appear to be some type of acrylic material. It's really easy to light up acrylic from behind, so as long as the LED's are not turned on, then the box will look "canon" and can be rated as formal. (Provided it looks decent enough to begin with.)
When turned off, it should look no different than a box that does not have the LED's in it.

I've been making chest boxes for several months now and am working on being able to offer boxes with built in LED's. I now have all the materials I need to produce these except I haven't decided exactly how I will do the electronics. I also need to figure out how to diffuse the LED's to avoid those "hot spots".

David L.
edgejedi (Jase Fox)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DroidWelder wrote:
When turned off, it should look no different than a box that does not have the LED's in it.
...but isnt that the point...wouldnt the sheer fact that it had LEDs 'pointing out' of it be in blatant opposition to that seen on screen? You dont see LEDs in the film or on the boxes when the pilots are on screen....?

Could you put the LEDs behind some kind of screening/thin cover so they wouldnt be seen visually when switched off but could appear nice and bright when switched on? Im no electronics expert, but....?

DroidWelder ()

Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are correct. If LED's were sticking out of the thing.
They need to be put behind the acrylic square buttons where they can't be seen. What you want is the LED's to light up the acrylic buttons from behind. You must have missed that part in my previous post.

David L.
Blue Banshee Leader (Alex Buirch)
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 3:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DroidWelder is correct. If the LED bulbs can be seen you'd probably have some trouble getting the costume accepted as formal (maybe even informal, not sure). It's not that you can't have LEDs in your chestbox to be accepted as formal, you just don't want to have them visible. If they're hidden behind switches and buttons... that should be no problem.
Just don't turn them on for your main profile pictures and you'll be playing it safe.

Take my current B-wing pilot chestbox, for example. I have LEDs in mine, but when they're not on you'd never know it. They're hidden inside the chestbox, inside tinfoil-covered tunnels below the places where the light will shine out (mainly, the big red button, the two blue rectangles, and the clear/white rectangle near the top of the black channel). When they're on the light "travels" up the tunnels and reflects off the tinfoil, and becomes visible through the "windows". When they're off the red button, blue rectangles and white rectangle look fairly opaque so you can't see the LED bulbs at all-- because they're not even behind the "windows", they're below.

Here's the lights off...

And the lights on...

(The set up on my new chestbox will be similar with the lighting.)

B-wing Pilot - Anomid Jedi

-My Homepage-
-Cosplay.com Profile-
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
WedgeAntilles (James Norman)
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

Rebel Legion CV Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 4:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the box doesn't look like a standard chestbox with the lights off, you will be denied, so lets be absolutely clear on that.
edgejedi (Jase Fox)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iam8114 wrote:
If the box doesn't look like a standard chestbox with the lights off, you will be denied, so lets be absolutely clear on that.
exactly!!!
Cool

pico (Joe Cygan)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's how I've done it on Tie chest boxes. I'm not done with my X-Wing yet so I don't have pics. The rockers are about the same size, as are the holes, so this should work.

- Drill 5mm hole all the way through.(I think that they were 3/16" bits)
- Black out the inside of the hole with flat paint. A sharpie will work, but not as flat.
- Use colored 5MM leds like red or blue, not the clear ones that emit red or blue light, use the ones where the actual LED is red or blue.
- Push the LED into the hole from the back side of the switch. (use a small dab of E-6000 or Plumbers Goop if it is loose, it dries clear and doesn't damage the LED)

The actual LED will sit back inside the hole. From the front, it should still just look like a black circle on the front of the switch until the LEDs are powered up.

YMMV! Please, do a prototype on a piece of wood of similar thickness so you can be sure it has the look you are going for.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Pilots -> X-Wing Pilots All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: