Who We Are
What We Do
Get Involved
Member Portal
Resources
Contact Us

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=7468fd28341c8b871206f6cff7cca817Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Ep III Dressing Gown

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Padme
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Yimisty ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 6:17 pm    Post subject: Ep III Dressing Gown Reply with quote

I'm thinking of putting together Padme's Dressing Gown before Celebration. But I'm having the darnest time with the trim that runs down the arms. Anyone have some leads on a suitable substitue?

I found this one on ebay but I'm not sure that is close enough.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-FRENCH-1-7-8-JAQUARD-Silk-Satin-1yd-Metallic-/120723461259?pt=Sewing_Trims&var=&hash=item61cbd8f69b

Last edited by Yimisty () on Tue Jun 12, 2012 6:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
Naergi ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think it's a bad choice. The seller says that it's woven from silk, so if I were you, I'd buy the 'white' trim and carefully stain the white with silk paint to achieve the sort-of multicolor look of the original trim. You will have to be careful NOT to stain the 'dots' though.

And BTW; "HI!" from one Jamillia to another Wink
Yimisty ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anyone been able to locate the navy or purple silky furry fleece that is need for the robes? I can't seem to find it anywhere.
Naergi ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well... you could make it yourself. There are two methods.

First, knit the robe using eyelash yarn.
Here is an example what that looks like.
Advantage: Eyelash yarn is available at many places. Since it's often made using rayon fibers, the knit result can be dyed without problems to any shade you desire in case you can't find the correct shade of yarn.
Disadvantage: Of course a knit robe is prone to stretching, and unless you back the robe with a stabilizing non-stretch fabric, this could be a problem.

Second, you could actually make the fabric yourself: silk shag (an old way of creating 'fur-like' fabric from regular silk fabric).
This is a time-consuming process involving at least four times the amount of fabric required for a one-layer robe; and said fabric would have to be doupioni silk. I don't have the time right now to write a tutorial how to do that, but if you're interested, just say it and I'll sit down on the weekend to write a tutorial.
Advantage: Hey, it's silk shag! Can be dyed without problems.
Disadvantage: You need lots of fabric. Also, it's time consuming.

Hope that helps Smile
Princess Cryvo (Crystal von Oy)
Alpha Base CO
Alpha Base CO

Medals: 1 (View more...)
CVI Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yimisty wrote:
Has anyone been able to locate the navy or purple silky furry fleece that is need for the robes? I can't seem to find it anywhere.

Every once in a while Hobby Lobby has that kind of "furry fleece" in white, not sure if it is dyeable but possibly worth a shot??

"It's kind of fun to do the impossible" - Walt Disney
Yimisty ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried out dying the red with a blue poly dye. Here's the results

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Padme All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: