About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=26fa2646dfd878bf273bc725fa943e81Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Pilot radio chatter

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Pilots -> Overlapping Costume Bits
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ravenwood (Jeremy Horn)
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 3:04 am    Post subject: Pilot radio chatter Reply with quote

I read a tread the other day, that really got my mind thinking about being able to play pilot radio chatter. It should be as easy as a cheep MP3 player and a plug in speaker that could be mounted on the back of the helmet. I am new to all this so not sure if there is room in the helmet when your wearing it. it doesn't have to be supper loud just to give the effect that the chatter is coming from the head piece in the helmet. I have collected most of the chatter during the death star attack in ANH here is a link to all the MP3s I have collected in case any one else would like to try this.
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/57bghw9opmh28va/jBOSITOKLN

Last edited by Ravenwood (Jeremy Horn) on Thu Jun 14, 2012 2:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
FallenJedi ()
Corellian Base CO
Corellian Base CO

Medals: 2 (View more...)
Philippines Typhon Relief (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 3:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very cool, Thank you! Thumbs up
Anything from ESB or RoTJ we could use?
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 4:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are welcome, I hope others can make something out of this. I will see if there is anything I can find from the other movies and add it to my link.
Ravenwood (Jeremy Horn)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have updated some of the sound files added the Mic de-key effect to the end of each file so they blend together nicely. l edited some of the files that just sounded to clean to make them sound more like they were over a radio. I ordered a cheap MP3 play I found that has a build in speaker for just 17 bucks shipped. I am thinking this could be Velcro mounted just about anywhere. I will report back in once I have it and test it out.
Angelariel (Angela Anderson-Cobb)
Great Lakes Base XO
Great Lakes Base XO

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Colorado Wildfires 2012 Relief Award (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for putting this together, Jeremy. I'm going to play around with the little iPod speaker I have lying around the house somewhere.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Ravenwood (Jeremy Horn)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are most welcome.
I love interacting with kids when in my costume characters, and I thought this would be a great way to immerse a child into the Star Wars world... here is what I was thinking.

when interacting with a kid build the story around a rebel conflict about to take place at any moment (in a galaxy far far away lol) Then stop in mid sentence and say something like " wait.. in coming transmission from command.... they are about to launch" then you could ask the child if he or she would like to listen to the mission via your coms unit in your helmet or could have the speaker in your com pad on your arm. If you use the helmet Idea you could place your helmet on the kid and they would be fully immersed in all the action. OK I'm rambling now sorry....
Ravenwood (Jeremy Horn)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 3:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got the MP3 player today and edited all of the tracks together to create one long MP3 (have added it to the list in my file) the speaker on the player is very clear and will sound great in a helmet. It is very small and will fit in the helmet easily. I will try to post a video of it in action later this week.
FallenJedi ()
Corellian Base CO
Corellian Base CO

Medals: 2 (View more...)
Philippines Typhon Relief (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice, Thanks for sharing. Thumbs up
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 3:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a link to the MP3 player I got for this project. I will post a video of it playing this week to give you an idea of its actual size and sound quality.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Ematic-4GB-MP3-Player-with-Speaker-and-FM-Radio/15993748
Ravenwood (Jeremy Horn)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK here is a video of the MP3 unit, sorry about the video qaulity, but at least your get the idea Smile

http://youtu.be/3rwrwP0HQh0
Charothy ()

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:43 am    Post subject: Re: Pilot radio chatter Reply with quote

Ravenwood wrote:
I read a tread the other day, that really got my mind thinking about being able to play pilot radio chatter. It should be as easy as a cheep MP3 player and a plug in speaker that could be mounted on the back of the helmet. I am new to all this so not sure if there is room in the helmet when your wearing it. it doesn't have to be supper loud car navigation system just to give the effect that the chatter is coming from the head piece in the helmet. I have collected most of the chatter during the death star attack in ANH here is a link to all the MP3s I have collected in case any one else would like to try this.
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/57bghw9opmh28va/jBOSITOKLN

hello do you have some pics of helmet with speakers? You have used the helmet can you give some idea about the performance.

Last edited by Charothy () on Wed Feb 06, 2013 8:21 am; edited 1 time in total
Ravenwood (Jeremy Horn)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used the MP3 player with the built in speaker that I have a link for earlier in this thread. I put my radio chatter on loop for the event so it is always playing. I have the MP3/speaker located in the ear cuff either the speaker part facing out. It seemed to work really well and got some nice complimen from other people trooping with me. I was cool to see the kids eye when I put my helmet on them for a photo. They really thought it was cool.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Pilots -> Overlapping Costume Bits All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: