About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=11de8812043beb95b295e72686f08793Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Terr Taneel(aka Amanda Lucas) References EP3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Old Republic Senators and Royalty
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ladyghost4459 (Denise Cowles)

Medals: None

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 6:40 pm    Post subject: Terr Taneel(aka Amanda Lucas) References EP3 Reply with quote

Does anyone have any really good detailed photos of Terr Taneel, the character that Amanda Lucas played in EP3? I would especially like if anyone has photos from the display from FIDM.

Last edited by Ladyghost4459 (Denise Cowles) on Sat Jun 23, 2012 5:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Naergi ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kay_Dee has quite a few good pics here. If you click them and scroll to the bottom of that page, there's another link to the 'original', which are really hi-rez.
Since the dress is so very dark, though, it's advisable to save them to your harddisk and run them through an image editing software with the levels adjusted, just so you can really 'see' the details that otherwise are swallowed by the blackness of the dress.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got it Thanks.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What kind of material would you say is in the dress, in the jacket? In the hat?
Naergi ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Based on the exhibit photos, I'd recommend (and note that this is really just based on what I personally "see" and therefore recommend; others may 'see' and recommend different fabrics)...

(images are level-brightened just so you can see the materials:)

Hat
    Broomstick-pleated (or otherwise 'lengthwise' crushed) taffeta over a more ridgid base of stabilizer - actually, this reminds me a LOT of the crushed taffeta on the Queen Jamillia gown; except that the pleating on the hat is smaller!
    Don't forget the four little triangle-shaped jet black beads that dangle down from the hat; these or these might work.

Neckline and sleeves / "undershirt"
    Spiderweb lace, probably embroidered on a layer of tulle. This is easily 'fakeable' by taking tulle and randomly weaving black threads in various thicknesses through its holes.

Coat
    Sculpted velvet; this could also be a matter of tacking the velvet down on another layer of much-shrinking-in-the-washing fabric, then wash the combination; so that the velvet will keep it's size (and therefore pucker like this!) while the 'shrinking' fabric will not.
    You may want to have a look at this video:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m1aOhov6I5U
    to see how that works when using a certain kind of special stabilizer called 'Texture Magic'.
    Note that while it may look like it COULD be a fabric similar to the underdress, just with a different design, it's not. If you look at the sleeves, you'll see how the velvet fabric is, actually, 'puckering' - something that you don't see on the underdress fabric at, say, the skirt hem.
    Late edit:
    I think I can see some 'white spots' on the coat's collar, which indicate that there may be scattered beading on that collar (which would reflect the light so the beading would appear 'white' when the light hits it; but of course the beads - maybe small sequins? - would have to be black).
    The 'white spots' only show on the collar in the exhibit pics, so I guess the beading - if existent! - is only in that place.

"Tabard"
    This looks like a layer made from some Japanese Obi fabric (black with geometric white pattern), and over that, there's beaded black lace.
    Note that instead of the obi fabric, it could also be a car interior fabric - I think I've once seen something likely in a VW Wink
    Or maybe it could be a 'tie silk' (that's silk which is typically used for men's ties). Which is actually funny because from afar that tabard almost looks like a giant tie.

Underdress (under coat and tabard, but over the 'undershirt')
    This looks like either a 'flocked' taffeta fabric, or maybe it could be a burn-out velvet over a black base (in that case, this would probably work). I've seen more modern 'flocked taffeta curtain fabrics' that look like this - something like this but with a different flocked pattern.
    Also of course there are very similar, 'chenille' type velvet interior decorator fabrics that have a similar appearance.

Hope that helps Smile

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wonderful and very helpful insight. Especially the shrinkage part....I hadn't even thought of that. You have been a BIG help!!!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Old Republic Senators and Royalty All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: