Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=79582ca6a57dec2cbbbc51fcd83741dbMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

I'm new here - working on a NR Jedi
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Rebel Bases N. America -> Dantooine Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zazarus (David Scheffner)
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No this fabric that was used in the movies is one of the holy grails of fabrics. I was a kind of crinkle wool, I personally have only seen this type of fabric twice in my life at a high end fabric store on the plaza. But it was in red and black and not usable for an obi wan so I didn't get it. Course I kick myself in the nads because later when I was looking at a sith costume and I remembered this I went down there and the store had just one bolt of each and never ordered it again. So on the off handed chance you find it, it will not be in a normal store and you should grab it by any means you kind. I hear some places take first born children if they are young enough. LOL

Even Vera in St Louis who does a lot more sewing and has odd places to look as only found a heavier form of this fabric like once in an odd store for fabric.

You can get the Joann's fabric to work, but you will need to layer it in some way or it will be very see through. Using just the fabric I'm not sure if you would need to double layer it or triple layer it to get enough coverage. I might be looking at some experiments later if I have the time. But for now I'm more interested in my green jedi. Very Happy
gandalfbmg (Bart German)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Former member Bradley here in KC was part of a group that was going to do a group order of the good obi-wan fabric (they found it overseas somewhere, and a bunch of people were going to split the cost of buying a bunch in bulk). I don't know if he just got out of that group buy when he got out of costuming, or he got it but doesn't want to let it go (I asked him a few years ago whatever happened to the fabric, as I might be willing to take it off his hands, and he kinda dodged by talking about how he might get back in some day and then changed the subject Smile ). Anyway, If you're serious about the Obi-Wan fabric, looking internationally may be one avenue Smile

Dantooine Base: Keeping flyover country Imperial-free since 2007
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
dones (Donald Salsbury)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Geez, I didn't realize the original stuff was so hard to find. Yeah, I'm not looking for movie-accurate, I'm looking for good-looking, easy care and breathable. I wonder if doubling or tripling the Joann stuff would be easier or harder than just lining it. I will have I do some more digging and/or hope Vera chimes in with her expert opinion :-)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vera found it on a fluke, not a normal find so I would expect you should wait on that. She found it once and that was it. As for the other options, remember that tunics for that just need to have a good texture is you can on it. Mace Windu's is a lighter weave thats a lot easier to find. But I think doubling or lining would be the way to go. Remember you have the under tunic, the tunic and the tabards for layers. Make sure you use cotton or silk or something that breaths well and is a natural occurring fiber. The synthetics trap in heat and will make you uncomfortable. The under tunic should be something really comfortable.
dones (Donald Salsbury)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, with the new Jedi costume standards I have an updated to-do list with some specific requests for help:

Obi
Tabards
Outer tunic
---I'd like specifics on how many yards of fabric I should buy, if I'm making all of these from one type of fabric. I'm 5'11", my leather Jedi belt is right at 50" in diameter.

Food Pellets
---First, does anyone have any extras lying around they're willing to part with? I'm not picky on color or quantity since I'm staying generic.

Droid Caller
---I think for formal approval my little waterproof matches holder isn't going to cut it. I think in the same box I got my Graflex handle I may have gotten another shorter handle that would do the trick; if not, I'm open to suggestions.
dones (Donald Salsbury)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dones wrote:
Obi
Tabards
Outer tunic
---I'd like specifics on how many yards of fabric I should buy, if I'm making all of these from one type of fabric. I'm 5'11" in boots, my leather Jedi belt is right at 50" in diameter.

To try to answer my own question here, maybe someone could help me check my math:

Obi: I'm thinking about 10" overlap here (60" long) would be good to provide enough room for velcro or similar, while not feeling like it's about to fall apart. I'm thinking of putting the overlap on one side, as opposed to my older obi meeting at the back.

Tabards: I think that even making these double-thick (i.e. making a very long tube as suggested above), I could take a single length of cloth and split it to get both tabards. If I shoot for just about knee-length, I was thinking I could take 6' (approx height), subtract 2' from floor to knee, then double to get 8-foot-long tabards...assuming I wanted them full length in front and back, which I don't...but that would leave plenty of overage if I'm off.

Overtunic: My basic guess here is to get about the same as the tabards, maybe 50% more. I haven't measured exactly, but buying a men's dress shirt off the rack, I'm about a size 19" neck and 31" sleeve. I know the over tunic needs to be pretty long, and the sleeve baggy, though, so this is sort of where my guesses need help from someone who actually has experience. I also need to determine how much lining material I should get (plus fabric recommendations here would be most welcome!). My under tunic is a performance mock turtleneck similar to underarmor, so I wouldn't need the lining for skin contact as much as for making the overtunic look as good as possible.

...Total: 9 yards (27') would be plenty, yes? As long as the fabric is at least a yard wide, right? (Haven't bought or shopped for fabric in...a while...)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really can't give you a number of how many yards, it depends on the pattern you are using. Some will say 2 some like 3.5 for the tunic. Follow the pattern you use for what they say and doesn't hurt to buy a little extra just in case.
dones (Donald Salsbury)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That presumes I have a pattern. Embarassed

Bart, how big is the overtunic pattern you have?
gandalfbmg (Bart German)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dones wrote:

I have the simplicity 4450 pattern, and it calls for 3-3.5 yards (depending on size) for the outer tunic.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

4450 is the holy grail of patterns now since they stop making it. But really all it has over some of the others for outer tunic is the shoulder tucks that are not mandatory. I did one that I think it said 2.5 (for a med-large build). But I would go and get a pattern (be it 4450, 5840 or others)

Also fabric is not a one size is all, you have to look to see how wide the fabric is, some is small like 45" while some can be as much as like 80." The back of the pattern package will tell you all that you need to know about how much you need depending on the size of the fabric. Tabards are pretty straight forward as is the obi, figure how long and how wide you want, add seam allowance and double for two sides.

Are your tabards going to stop at the belt in the back or continue past the belt?
SapphireGypsy ()

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got the Simplicity 5840, which is the one that's easily available at the store.... it calls for 3 7/8 yards for an extra large tunic. 1 1/4 for a contrasting belt. 1 1/2 for the shoulder armor and 7/8 if you're only doing a dickey. Their "shoulder armor" pattern is short in the front of the typical tabards so... make it 1 1/4 yard to be safe. A lot of it also depends on hot you lay things out on the fabric. Sometimes their layouts can be.... wasteful. I managed to get all of those pieces out of about 4 yards... but I was cutting a small.

I happened to have the pattern in front of me figured I'd share the info.
gandalfbmg (Bart German)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gandalfbmg wrote:
dones wrote:

I have the simplicity 4450 pattern, and it calls for 3-3.5 yards (depending on size) for the outer tunic.

I should note, the above dimensions are for 60" width fabric, to factor in with what the others have said...

I do have a couple copies of the 5840 pattern too, but I've never actually used it. I've tried to preserve and get as much reuse out of my 4450 as I can, as it's what I've always used and am familiar with (I don't have the first page of the instructions any more, so I kinda have to wing it at parts), and I kinda like the shoulder tuck look, even if it drives me crazy getting it on there... We need to have an effort to preserve the pattern in more permanent medium...

Last edited by gandalfbmg (Bart German) on Tue Jun 12, 2012 9:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

May be wasteful but remember that if you have a nap to the fabric or a pattern you want to make sure the lines and what not are going in the right way. Also that pattern has a weird bump on the shoulder armor at the top that some people like, or don;t mind and some people can't stand it, all depends. I person don't like the obi at all and would do a different design all together, but that's me talking. But it is an easy pattern to get for the outer tunic. Also on those amounts what width fabric was that for? 60"?
gandalfbmg (Bart German)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zazarus wrote:
May be wasteful but remember that if you have a nap to the fabric or a pattern you want to make sure the lines and what not are going in the right way. Also that pattern has a weird bump on the shoulder armor at the top that some people like, or don;t mind and some people can't stand it, all depends. I person don't like the obi at all and would do a different design all together, but that's me talking. But it is an easy pattern to get for the outer tunic. Also on those amounts what width fabric was that for? 60"?

the 'bump' in the tabbards is not accurate; I didn't know that when I made my first Jedi and it still passed, but I can't stand it now. I straighten it off when I'm tranferring from the pattern now, it's a pretty simple mod. On the Jedi I'm making now for John, I worked it out so that there's no shoulder seam on the tabbards for the first time, those have always bugged me too.

Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can make it with no shoulder seam but it does take more fabric, if you don;t mind the seam then it is pretty easy to get it out of what you have left or squeeze it in.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Rebel Bases N. America -> Dantooine Base All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: