About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=014631bab4c20dc1a6df168cab00b0cbMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Thinking of Slave Leia
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Leia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mira_Darkstar (Anna Rossmann)
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 11:55 pm    Post subject: Thinking of Slave Leia Reply with quote

So for CVI I was thinking of getting a Slave Leia outfit and was wondering what everyone's advice is. I am most concerned about getting the hair right (I have red hair for Mara Jade that is shoulder length), the boots (no clue were to get these) and then the coverage of the back plate of the bikini and what to wear under it.
Legion XO
Legion XO

Medals: 2 (View more...)
Gold Star (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slave Leia is not for the faint of heart, meaning, be ready to walk around mostly naked Razz
You cannot wear modest underwear, as it will show, most girls wear a thong and some nothing at all, which I would NOT recommend Shocked .

The boots are difficult, but can be achieved with patience. They must be flat tailored suede boots (olive green and gray are the most common when associated with slave leia).

The hair needs to be long, in a long braid and an unbraided bun on the crown of your head, held with the proper gold bun holders. You may have any naturally occurring hair color to be approved, so if you wish to be a red haired slave leia, that is fine, as long as the correct style is achieved. You will need a braid extension. Very Happy

Do you have a vendor that you wish to buy from regarding the costume itself?
www.facebook.com/PrincessSandy41280
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was hoing to go with Jamin because he lives in my state and I have heard good things about his bikini pieces.
Legion XO
Legion XO

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sure Smile i know Jamin well.
www.facebook.com/PrincessSandy41280
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Granny-Wan (Marie Cannon)
Mos Eisley Base XO
Mos Eisley Base  XO

Medals: 1 (View more...)

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wear tights! Besides looking better you will have something to anchor your skirt back to and keep it from blowing in the wind and exposing your behind! Shocked
JedHead (Matt Tolosa)
Active Legion Member

Silver Star (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Granny-Wan wrote:
Wear tights! Besides looking better you will have something to anchor your skirt back to and keep it from blowing in the wind and exposing your behind! Shocked

Toupee tape can also be used. The tights look doesn't look right to me, and always reminds me of Robin in the 60's Batman series. Wink

Kay_Dee has some good info for boots and other parts of the costume:

http://www.kay-dee.net/costumes/slave_leia/index.htm

http://www.endorbase.org/
https://www.facebook.com/#!/jedhead1

In Loving Memory of Chanel Vanecek, aka "Padme_Skywalkr" (Feb. 7, 1980 - Oct. 25, 2003) xoxo
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 3:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is a fantastic website, I didn't even think of earrings until looking there. Currently I am working on my own earrings.

Now I am thinking of making my own skirt because it will end up less expensive. I am looking to get the Silk Habontai fabric but not sure what color dye to go with. I was taking a look at the Rit sight for color combinations. I was thinking there #140 Red-Violet color looks very close with a 1 to .5 ratio of Violet to Black.http://www.ritdye.com/colorit_color_formula_guide Has anyone done there own dying?

For the hair pieces are there any good online sources of the braid extensions with good color selections and not to high or price? I want to try and match my red hair.
Mos Eisley Base XO
Mos Eisley Base  XO

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 3:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's fine to run around half-naked Wink at a con , but you're likely to get fewer complaints are public events involving children if your legs and bottom are covered.

Well made tights that match the wearers skin tone are better than all that bare skin.
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Granny-Wan wrote:
It's fine to run around half-naked Wink at a con , but you're likely to get fewer complaints are public events involving children if your legs and bottom are covered.

Well made tights that match the wearers skin tone are better than all that bare skin.

If I ever think of wearing this for something other than a convention I will look into the tights option.
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is what I did for the skirt panel to make sure all of the important parts are cover. I made the skirt panel larger than the front and back plate. Somewhere around 25-30 inches wide. Then I pleated the part that was attached to the plate so that it wouldn't look weird. This way you get more volume and fun flow to your skirt. You can use fashion tape or toupee tape to hold it down so there are no accidental shiftings. (I've seen too many girls that make it just the size of the plate and then not wear underwear underneath. There are just some things that can not be unseen.)
Trishaleam (Trisha Morace)
Active Legion Member

CVI Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The extra fabric is great advice. I actually did the very same thing when making my skirt. Originally I bought panties with the clear strap (you can still see it though) but it melted in the dryer. I now have a c string (you can find them on ebay) that i got in the same color to match my skirt. It isn't considerably comfortable but it's better than going commando or having straps show. The fabric I used to make my skirt was called silk essence. I really liked the look and feel of it. Good luck, and see you at CVI. Wink
Mieal Deneb (Rachel Orange)
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

Droid Wranglers (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The skirts SHOULD be larger than the plates and then gathered. When I made mine (yea, I do have one...but I don't wear it in public so you'll never see me in it! Shocked ) I made little waist bands then sewed the gathered tops of the skirts into. I used fabric from JoAnn's for the skirts, they are a lining fabric called Sunline in "Wine" and are the perfect color. This is my "making of" short and sweet as it is. I made an attached panty, but I don't recommend that for wearing in public, in case your skirt gets stepped on...you don't want EVERYTHING coming down! Embarassed

http://costumesandartwork.blogspot.com/2009/05/return-of-jedi-slave-leia-bikini.html

Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice tutorial Rachel, thank you for sharing. I was thinking of doing the double approach of a thong with the clear elastic straps and then also a "lining" in the same material I have for the skirt. I bought the 12mm Silk Habotai and the Cabernet colored Acid Dye from Dharma Trading.

I also found two "Jumbo Braid" Kanekalon hair pieces in a color very close to my own that I will try to fashion into the bun and braid.
Endor Base CO
Endor Base CO

Medals: 3 (View more...)
Bronze Medal (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Princess Sandy wrote:

You cannot wear modest underwear, as it will show, most girls wear a thong and some nothing at all, which I would NOT recommend Shocked .

Not entirely true, I made matching bottoms out of matching burgundy swimwear fabric that cover much more than a thong in back. I made sure the drape of my back skirt panel covers it with the way the two are aligned when I stand. Now if I walk it may peak out a bit as the skirt flies back but I'd much rather have a bit of fabric show in back than my old lady skin Wink

I guess I'm trying to say if you know how to sew, you can draft a sideless high cut bikini bottom that attaches to the back & front bikini plate and is cut inward just enough so it does not peak outside the edges of the skirt for most poses, standing around.

But yeah, it is still a revealing costume. Though I think I've seen more revealing things at cons!

With boots, don't rule out beige/taupe suede as that's actually the color of the boots I've seen twice at the costume exhibits. No green in them (only in bad photo processing do they look green), they were not every really gray but those are still accepted by the legion.

Screen used boots - photo taken at CIV

*edit* These may very well be a re-constructed boot not made of the original suede used on the movie - due to deterioration of the original costume. One hint is that the sole on the front of this boot is a bit thinner than the one seen in promo photos of Carrie Fisher.

Rebel Legion - Endor Base
Kay-Dee's Costume Site
Facebook: Kay Dee Collection and Costumes

Last edited by Kay_Dee (Kathy) on Wed May 30, 2012 7:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
Kay_Dee (Kathy)
Endor Base CO
Endor Base CO

Medals: 3 (View more...)
CVI Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mira_Darkstar wrote:
Very nice tutorial Rachel, thank you for sharing. I was thinking of doing the double approach of a thong with the clear elastic straps and then also a "lining" in the same material I have for the skirt. I bought the 12mm Silk Habotai and the Cabernet colored Acid Dye from Dharma Trading.

I also found two "Jumbo Braid" Kanekalon hair pieces in a color very close to my own that I will try to fashion into the bun and braid.

I tried to dye my own silk Habotai... it was having trouble getting as dark as the real costume. I think I was even heating the dye bath to help the color take over the stove. You may need to add black to your mix, it is the conclusion I came to after just running out of time to experiment and buying some silk crepe that was close enough (closer than my dyes were getting me!)

Rebel Legion - Endor Base
Kay-Dee's Costume Site
Facebook: Kay Dee Collection and Costumes
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Leia All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: