About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=c4b4b2c461fc7953e734201102b6f931Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Interest in events in the St. Louis area

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Rebel Bases N. America -> Dantooine Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SapphireGypsy ()

Medals: None

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 4:38 pm    Post subject: Interest in events in the St. Louis area Reply with quote

So here's the sitch. I notice there's a bunch of stuff going out in the Kansas City area but maybe not as much out here. Is it because there's not as much of an interest or just not as many member?

I ask because I work with St. Anthony's hospital out here and if there would be interest in doing things like hospital visits to Glennon and such I could make the arrangements to do that... But I hate to go through all that if I'm the only one who would be interested.

So that said, anyone want to do that? I'm still going to finish my Jedi to be approves regardless of the answer, I was just curious if the members in this area would be interested in doing more events.
Gius Maximus (Rich Heffernan)
Legion Council
Legion Council

Medals: 2 (View more...)
Philippines Typhon Relief (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So its a mixture of things I would say.

We only have a few people here in St. Louis total that are active. We have some other folks looking at joining with one of those wanting to help get us more events as well.

We get very few event requests that come in for St Louis. The last few were free comic book day ones that we didn't have people to fulfill. The rest are pretty sporadic.

We get invited to some 501st events and those do get posted up here. A lot of events get posted as 501st only so RL is not invited to those events. With them getting the majority of the requests the RL falls at their mercy.

All things I would like to see change across the board. I would definitely love to see more events that we get to attend here and town. I try all the time when we do get events to put our name out there more all the time. Any events we can setup that we can make happen the better.
SapphireGypsy ()

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well with me being in the medical field I know the ins and outs of kinda getting in places like that, at least the right people to talk to so I can make some calls to see if they'd even be interested.

I wanted to do some local stuff with the super hero costumes that I have but there are no kiddie like 3 people, including me, that showed interest in doing it, and one of them was only kind of iffy about it. So I hated to put in the effort to set up a group and such when there wasn't any interest.

As soon as I send in my pics for approval, I'm going to try to finish my tabards this week so I can do that, then I'll put some feelers out to the children's units. See if they'd want some Jedi to come visit.

A lot of peopple just don't even know we exist and with there not really being many cons in this area it's not easy to get out there.

I'm glad I'm not hallucinating about there not being much going on out here....imma do what I can to change that. Wink
Legion Council
Legion Council

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I work in healthcare myself, but IT. I've been working for BJC for 11 years now in a couple different positions for the IT group. I used to work some of the time doing installs at St Louis Childrens, but they weren't big on the idea of bringing people in. I've thought about trying to revisit that one again as well to see if different folks a couple years later now feel differently.
SapphireGypsy ()

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The management folks I talked to at St. Anthony's suggested going through HR as opposed to the actual floors. Sometimes being willing to go through the channels to show them background checks and such can clear up a lot of crazy fears.

I know the children's hospital in Ohio where I lived was very over protective of their kids. You had to have ID for every floor and such. So that was the route I was going to take. Being willing to offer them proof we're not pedofiles or there to steal kids in our Jedi robes, might help.

Plus being able to say we have people who are members of the medical profession and thus are familiar with hippa and such... You never know. I can make some calls.

I used to work in IT... Then I got tired of asking people of they'd restarted their machine before they called me and ran for the hills.
Zazarus (David Scheffner)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Rich, your also have to acknowledge that we have a PR person in KC that borders on the manic obsessive and, I can't confirm this but I think, spends his time not working and not trooping knocking on business doors looking for troops. LOL

But in all serious we were really low in troops about a few years ago and then people like Bill came in and wanted to hit the troops and hard. He worked his bum off to find them and then once we started getting active it kinda picked up steam on its own. The local charities know us here and we know them so its a good two way road on it.

So we just need to loan you Bill for a few months and you should be up and running knee deep in troops in no time. Wink
Legion Council
Legion Council

CVI Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know how he does it really. I have a hard enough time keeping up with work, family, CO stuff, troops, and being very active in the lightsaber community.

I'm more than happy to get help with PR in any region within the base. With the growth we are starting to see more events are definitely needed.
gandalfbmg (Bart German)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess I have a slightly different view: The hard part is not finding events, the hard part is finding people to troop the events... I've never had a shortage on leads, ideas, requests, etc. for things to do, but for the longest time during my term I couldn't find anyone to come to them... I can recall many times where it would be just me and Sarah or me and my son even trooping a school fundraiser movie night or similar type things, with onone else willing or able to help out; and after a while of this you start to pass on the bigger charity walks and similar events because you know it looks worse to turn out just two to something that big when they want 10... What Bill did was convince people to get out to more events, and get more people suited up so we had a larger pool of folks to help out...

I can sit behind a keyboard and on my phone all day finding and setting up troops (I'd like to think that's what I'm good at), but it takes a certain personaility to recruit and motivate people to turn out like he does (something I've never had), and that is where the boom in KC has come from, and finding a person or people to do THAT locally are the best keys to success... at least that's how I see it... Recruit people and keep them motiviated and the rest tends to fall in place.

Dantooine Base: Keeping flyover country Imperial-free since 2007
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Legion Council
Legion Council

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm on the opposite side I guess here. I have gotten several folks and several more working at joining into our base. Events I've setup I haven't hard much of a hard time getting folks involved when its multiple groups. The number of events here however is very small. The last few we got was due to shortage of people because the quantity of requests at the same time.
Ken Do Dad ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 8:04 pm    Post subject: Moving from KC to St. Louis Reply with quote

Hello.

I've been off the scene since the 3D premiere. Insane workload, working nights, kiddos, renting out my home, job hunting, packing... you get the idea.

I will be moving to St. Louis in mid to late June for at least two years. My fiance is finishing her family medicine residency with SLU (though they work out of St. Mary's). So I would love an opportunity to visit some of the children's hospitals!

I won't be in a position to contribute much until after the July 4th holiday though.

Very Happy
Zazarus (David Scheffner)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 5:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bart, there was a lot of separation in the costuming groups back then too. 501st didn't troop RL event, Mercs were not really invited out and so thats not a surprise. Interest in RL in this area was at an all time low during your time. But we got a new social format so to speak and that made communications between the groups a lot easier and a lot of people starting to cross over from one group to another and being one voice rather than the many. But by the time that happened you were already burned out and had a lot on your plate to deal with in life.

There were a lot of facets that went into the creation of the system we have in KC and some of it was an absolute fluke that a lot of us are still amazed it worked out like it did. I won't get into a lot of it, cause its a lot of political things that should be left in the desert to die. LOL
Battlerager ()
Assistant Captain of the Guard
Assistant Captain of the Guard

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even though my formal costume isn't ready to submit for approval (working on an RFT/ERT), I'd still attend with what I've got.

All I'm trying to complete for my ERT is the commando rifle (I know there are other options, but call me a perfectionist), so I'll happily show up and increase the overall number of 'people'.
Truc Llifnats (Curt Stanfill)
Active Legion Member

Rebel Legion CV Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have contacts at St. Louis Children’s Hospital and they only like to have anyone there if they have a child that is a big Star Wars fan. Then they only want 2 or 3 characters max and it's usually only to visit just that child.

We did some troops there about 6 years ago and because it was a children's hospital, we had great turn outs from Missouri, Kansas, and Illinois. The problem was we had to great of a turn out for these troops. Everyone wanted to go and we overwhelmed them with numbers so after the third troop, they stopped them all together.

Since then it's been very infrequent and they let me know when they need us.
Rebel Legion
Legion Council
Legion Council

CVI Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good to know the history and that does make sense with my experiences working there as well. Most of the units do not have a lot of room to have hoards of folks moving around. Hopefully we'll be able to always fill the need with a few folks when asked to come out.
SapphireGypsy ()

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's good to know. I figured they'd only want small groups but it's kind of sad that they'd only ask if they kid was a big Star Wars fan. Would they only want a Superman if the kid was a Superman fan?

Makes me kind of sad. Cheering up kids, helping kids that's the kind of thing that fills my soul up in a way I can't even describe.

Anyway, thank you for the information. It is very helpful to know.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Rebel Bases N. America -> Dantooine Base All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: