Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=bc1c25d402f90afc67d6609e92150539Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Simplicity 4450 Pattern

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SkeeterB (Robin Birmingham)

Medals: None

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 4:07 pm    Post subject: Simplicity 4450 Pattern Reply with quote

I'm wanting to make a jedi costume, and seen the simplicity 4450 pattern recommended. I'm also seeing a lot of different pattern numbers all over the place for the different parts of the jedi costume.I've looked around a lot of different places where you can find patterns, but I haven't been able to find the simplicity 4450 pattern. I saw somewhere that the pattern is no longer in print, so that may make it more difficult to find. Can anyone give me a direction to point so that I may be able to find that pattern.
Chaos, yet harmony.
Death, yet the Force.

Jedi Old Code
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
TI-9827 (Tapio Komulainen)
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here´s one: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Simplicity-4450-SEWING-PATTERN-Star-Wars-Costume-Jedi-Robe-Anakin-OOP-XS-XL-/360455043231?pt=UK_Crafts_SewingPatterns_EH&hash=item53eccb789f

Shocked

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've looked at that one numerous times and its well out of my range. I don't want to spend over a hundred dollars to just create the main part of my costume. I also want to have enough left that I can create the lightsaber hilt prop, and purchase stuff for my belt and accessories.
Chaos, yet harmony.
Death, yet the Force.

Jedi Old Code
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
JediMasterMark (Mark Jones)
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebels 4 Japan (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try this one instead - 5840, similar design, Jedi robe & costume layouts, niftier price tag.

http://www.amazon.com/Simplicity-Sewing-Pattern-5840-Costumes/dp/B00443VWOM

Hit up Hancock Fabrics if you live near one - they often have patterns on sale for .99, which is how much I paid for my last one!

Ghost Base
Legion Costume Judge
Former LMO
First Jedi General in the Legion
501st SL-9640

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's more my range. The only downside is that with them saying it only has one left, so it may disappear before i can add money back on my card and snag it. Oh well that is how the cookie crumbles. I can look elsewhere for that pattern though. its pretty commonly referred to as well as the 4450.

Edit: I've visited the site for the company http://www.simplicity.com/ and a good many of the referenced patterns can be found there. now if i can find a good web site that sells the McCall's patterns I can find a good combo that will make a very unique jedi costume. What's everyone's opinion of different sites that sell the McCall's patterns, and what patterns can be used for the inner and outer tunics and the robes (McCall's Only).
Chaos, yet harmony.
Death, yet the Force.

Jedi Old Code
SapphireGypsy ()

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can usually find 5840 at your local fabric store, Joann's, Hobby Lobby, Hancock, and frequently those places will have killer sales on patterns. I think I got my copy of 5840 for $1 at one point when they we having a sale. But you have to add the shoulder tucks to match the original yourself, 5840 just has straight shoulders, that for me were really long.

So to you sir I say, get thee to a fabric store! Forget buying it online.
JediKai ()
Active Legion Member

Website Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 4:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just edit the tabbard pattern so they are straight across the shoulders. The way the pattern bows the tabbard out at the shoulder is not screen accurate for the films.

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, everyone that has contributed to this thread, thank you. JediKai was kind enough to part with one of her patterns and send to me. Now all I need to know is what materials that I have to use for the inner and outer tunics, the obi, and the robe. I may start working on my lightsaber while I get the information on the materials that I need. I am drawn to several of the different styles on The Big Yellow Box. Of the eight styles there I'm drawn to II, III, IV, and VIII.
Chaos, yet harmony.
Death, yet the Force.

Jedi Old Code
Tag Aldeggon ()
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just make sure you get a fabric that has some thickness to it and no shine at all. Too many costumers use flimsy fabrics because they are cheap and they think they will be more comfortable. But if you go for a good, natural fabric, they costume will look far better AND you will feel much better in it. It's an investment worth making!

... and even if you succeed, it's a hard life."
JediKai ()
Active Legion Member

Website Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 4:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's my standard fabric advice post:

I always recommend only natural fabrics if you want to stay comfortable. Any synthetic content will make you feel warmer. So, 100% cotton, linen, silk, wool. And you can wash all these....just use a cool dryer. Wool will sometimes "felt" a little, but IMHO, that's a good thing in a robe as it will keep you warmer and dryer. Just be sure to wash before you cut if you're going to wash the costume and buy a little more in case of shrinkage. I have stopped drying my 100% cotton costumes in the dryer as I've learned that cotton will continue to shrink!

Actually, 100% cotton Osnaburg is a wonderful fabric. It's available in an off white/light tan. It has a texture and it not too light weight. It's also usually cheaper than other cottons at about $4 yard.

Indeed, silk noir/raw silk is cool. And it doesn't have to be expensive. At Thai Silks it is a few dollars a yard if you get the natural (which IS a perfect shade for the standard Jedi garb).

I also like gauze for the undertunic as it is 100% cotton and very lightweight. If you watch for sales, it can be gotten cheaper. Sign up for JoAnn's mailer and you'll have a 40% off coupon every 10 days.

My favorite fabric is linen. It wears like iron. You will rarely find a good shade of 100% linen at JoAnn's. Linen/rayon is not a bad option as rayon is made of cellulose so still "kinda" natural. I've seen linen/rayon in a natural color at JoAnn and it is a nice fabric. You'll need the sale coupon as it runs about $7/yd.

Fabric.com http://www.fabric.com/ often has linen but you have to watch for the right weight and color. Go with medium weight, usually. They often they have a couple nice dark browns...
http://www.fabric.com/
Tag Aldeggon ()
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, remember to choose a color that complements your own skin tones. You don't have to choose between tan or dark brown, otherwise we just end up with dozens of Obi and Ani clones! Look for a color that brings out your natural features and that you enjoy wearing. Make it unique! There are warm caramels, ruddy umbers, golden tans, gray taupes, rich chocolates, tinted khakis ... so many options! I can't wait to see what you come up with. Smile

... and even if you succeed, it's a hard life."
Toby2650 (Rob Corba)
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am looking for a pattern that will fit me. 54 chest/58 at belly button/36-37 sleeve/18.5 neck

can anyone guide me to a larger pattern???

Costumes
Generic Jedi - Complete/RL Approved as formal canon
Jawa - Complete/RL Approved as formal canon
DZ 54879
ardavenport (Anne Davenport)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 6 (View more...)
Silver Star (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 3:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might be able to enlarge a pattern you have. One way to check your sizing for a tunic is to take an old shirt that you can take apart. That way you can use the pieces to see if the sleeve and body pieces are wide enough to fit comfortably, though Jedi tunic sleeves will be looser than most shirts.

Toby2650 wrote:
I am looking for a pattern that will fit me. 54 chest/58 at belly button/36-37 sleeve/18.5 neck

can anyone guide me to a larger pattern???

Your focus determines who you are.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: