Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=63672336355bd0b0a9c85da833906ceeMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Jedi Application re Lightsabers
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi -> Lightsabers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cyouwa ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One more question about sabers... Though red blades are of course forbidden for a Jedi (by the way, I remember reading somewhere that red crystals were made out of suffering, that would explain why no Jedi would carry one unless under special circumstances). Is there such a rule regarding the design/style of the hilt itself ?
I am thinking of buying one from a saber smith, but I'm afraid the design might be a little too Sith-like.
blkwolf ()
Archived Member Profile

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As long as its not a Hasbro toy you should be good

(TB/SL-7744) Be Truthful in all you do and seek out the light Always!
JediMasterMark (Mark Jones)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebels 4 Japan (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

blkwolf wrote:

What he said - in addition, no obvious Sith sabers (a Vader, Maul, Dooku, etc.) would be allowed. Best bet? Post up a pic of it in the forum and you'll get some good feedback.
robiwon ()

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No red blade sabers for the RL, got it. That's the rule and will live by it for any events I attend. I just finished my latest saber which has the capability to change blade colors to any color under the rainbow. The saber is powered by an Igniter R2 soundboard which can color mix a red, green, blue, amber LED. The R,G,B are used for the main blade color with amber reserved for the clash flashes. At the touch of a button I can go from a red blade to blue, cyan, green, purple, orange, yellow, white, etc.

But here is my question. What about the color of the hilt itself? Mine is black, black chrome and red chrome. Is red on the hilt itself acceptable? Here is a picture and video.

Video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yb96cmNuynE
Cyouwa ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JediMasterMark wrote:
blkwolf wrote:

What he said - in addition, no obvious Sith sabers (a Vader, Maul, Dooku, etc.) would be allowed. Best bet? Post up a pic of it in the forum and you'll get some good feedback.

Here's a pic. I should have started with this. I'd buy this one from Saberforge with a blue or purple blade, but although it doesn't seem to reproduce any known Sith character, the style might be too "darkside". Your feedback would be appreciated !

Tag Aldeggon ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 5:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, it is certainly an aggresive design, but as far as I know there is no standard that would keep you from using it. The guideline as they stand only address blade color.

... and even if you succeed, it's a hard life."
Mara Skywalker (Anna)
Nordic Base CO
Nordic Base CO

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's a nice saber (both of them, actually) And I personally don't see any reason, why a certain design would be off limits to jedi (Except double bladed, which I believe are frowned upon by the order), unless it's something with sith markings or stuff like that Smile

Mynocks deliver Babies
Tag Aldeggon ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually no, double-bladed lightsabers are acceptable. Very Happy

Mara Skywalker (Anna)
Nordic Base CO
Nordic Base CO

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, I'm not sure what goes here Wink I just think I read somewhere that the Jedi Counsel sometimes frowned upon double bladed sabers, as they were considered "sith" - I can't remember which book/comic/other source though Smile
I personally wouldn't design a Jedi with a double blade, but I think I've approved one for our RPG once Smile

Mynocks deliver Babies
Volund Starfire (Jason Ellenburg)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The type of saber has nothing to do with being Sith or Jedi. It is just a different form of... well, Form.

The standard Lightsaber is regarded as one of many different sword-type forms. The Saber Pike is regarded as spear or bisento (samurai axe/horse sword) form. The Saberstaff is regarded as a quarterstaff type form. No different from staff fighting in any culture, just bladed.

It depends of which of the seven forms of lightsaber combat you focus on as to which lightsaber you choose.
Nordic Base CO
Nordic Base CO

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Taken from Wookieepedia (and thereby known to maybe be wrong Wink ):

However,the Jedi Council traditionally frowned on use of saberstaffs, believing a traditional lightsaber was enough, and considering the double-bladed lightsaber little more than a weapon designed to kill more effectively, while the Jedi developed the lightsaber to defend. Though there was no rule forbidding its use, the Jedi discouraged their students from attempting to create or use this weapon.[1]

The entry is supposed to be taken from Jedi vs. Sith: The Essential Guide to the Force - but I am not home at the moment, so I have no means of checking it Smile

So I wouldn't consider a double blade the typical jedi sword

Mynocks deliver Babies
Gius Maximus (Rich Heffernan)
Legion Council
Legion Council

Medals: 2 (View more...)
CVI Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To me its pretty simple..no red blade and if it looks really sith like you probably shouldn't use it as a jedi. There is no official restriction as such except not using face character sith sabers, but kids will call you out on it more than you'd think. I don't think there is anything wrong with having a staff saber myself, but again its not acceptable.
Tag Aldeggon ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A double-bladed lightsaber IS acceptable. They're just uncommon is all, with a few examples (Bastila and Satele Shan, for instance) to prove the point. The only restrictions are set on color and character sabers.

Mara Skywalker (Anna)
Nordic Base CO
Nordic Base CO

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not saying that they're not acceptable (neither here, nor "In Character" by the jedi council) - just that they're not too common Smile

Mynocks deliver Babies
General_Koon (Rick Vargas)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok so I have a question.

Plastic hilted lightsabers are not being accepted because they look like toys.

this is a problem for my character Plo Koon because the ONLY 2 lightsabers with the correct hilt are either the 350 dollars metal one made by parks or the rubies plastic extendable one.

Here's the thing... what is I was to grab the rubies one (The molding on that hilt is REALLY accurate and wel done) Chromed it to look metallic and replaced the innards with the electronics from my MR Force FX Blue Anakin Lightsaber inside it in such a way that the blade can be disconnected?

I mean if the hilt appears to the eye to be metallic, is accurately molded and detailed and has a correct sized and colored blade with real sounds from the movie... it should pass right?

It would take a lot of modification but between that and spending 350 bucks Plus about 50 more in shipping and handling PLUS taxes for international shipping that will cost me 50 more for a total of 450 dollars for Plo Koon's lightsaber, the decision I think it's pretty easy to make isn't it?

I understand on generic Jedi or the main characters because most of their lightsabers have been made by MR EFX or custom blade artisans at reasonable prices but Plo Koon's saber is and exception to the rule because of how rare and expensive it is to buy one that is not ridiculously expensive or that takes 4 months to be made and shipped.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi -> Lightsabers All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: