About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=c016e96fdda7ed6b56c495933beefb96Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

My Old Republic Jedi
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Rebel Bases N. America -> Dantooine Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gandalfbmg (Bart German)
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't find the thread with the pictures now, but last week I saw someone who'd taken a pair of shorter boots and made suede extensions that attached to the top and it looked really cool.

If you're going to do a pilot or such, you're going to have a calf issue even worse there. I think east Germans mus've all had skinny calves, because their boots we're far too small there for both me and my wife. However, it cost us less than $20 to take our boots to a local cobler who put a gusset on the inside of them so they fit us now; It's a good idea to find a local shop that can do that for you, chances are you'll need it if you have large calves.

Dantooine Base: Keeping flyover country Imperial-free since 2007
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
SapphireGypsy ()

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I can easily find the right fabric to tack more onto the top of them if they need it. Then I could add a bit of a gusset myself and extend the flap so that it would cover the zipper, which would make me happy.

I think for my x-wing pilot boots I might be ok. I used to ride horses so getting my hands on black boots is easier than brown ones. Ariat makes some REALLY comfortable ones and equestrian companies are smart enough to make boots with big calves. They know their clientele. Very Happy

I'll keep the cobbler in mind though. I've got some awesome heeled boots that are getting tight on my calves. *sigh*
SapphireGypsy ()

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just got my belt in and had to try it on.

Here's the stamp on the inside of the belt. I figure this will mean more to you guys than it does to me.

Gius Maximus (Rich Heffernan)
Legion Council
Legion Council

Medals: 2 (View more...)
Philippines Typhon Relief (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 3:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Belt looks great!

I definitely agree on the boots that you may need to make them taller, but the method given for that should suit nicely. Don't think you need to scrap them by any means. A lot of us have the large calf issue most certainly including myself. I ended up getting a pair of these in 2Plus calf: http://www.ridersmall.com/main/boots/Tall/men/Spirit_Men_Polo_boots.html . Definitely a lot of good equestrian stuff you can use keeping in mind no laces or rubber, black only if New Republic or other non-jedi use.
SapphireGypsy ()

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 5:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ooh I love the straps on those boots! lol

OOh so many good boots!

You should know better than to send a woman to a shoe store. Very Happy
Zazarus (David Scheffner)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bart, runners have much smaller calves, I imagine this might have something to do with the thinner calf of the boots. And yeah cobblers are great if you can find some. KC is lucky that we have at least 18 in the city, a lot of places that just list shoe repairs will have a cobbler there so check around.

On the belt, it looks like it was a company that did a lot of replica work but the company under that name went out of business and was replaced by another. Its a bit hard to run down all the info really quick but thats what I think it is. Good find. Very Happy
Gius Maximus (Rich Heffernan)
Legion Council
Legion Council

Medals: 2 (View more...)
Philippines Typhon Relief (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SapphireGypsy wrote:
ooh I love the straps on those boots! lol

OOh so many good boots!

You should know better than to send a woman to a shoe store. Very Happy

Lol, yeah I should know better than to give a woman ideas for shoes. They are really nice though. Smile
SapphireGypsy ()

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info on the belt. The friend I got it from I knew didn't buy crap so I was reasonably sure it was going to be good quality, but it's nice to know that I was right.

It's ok, a girl can never have too many shoes.. And costumes to go with them. Very Happy
Zazarus (David Scheffner)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its not just a girl thing, most costumer guys I know have a crap load of boots and shoes for different things. Every time I do a con or something I think I have to lug around as many boots and shoes I have clothes.
SapphireGypsy ()

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lol. Tell that to my husband. He doesn't understand why I need so many shoes.

I was working on re-hemming the robe when I got sick... I think nothing is getting done for a while now. Sad
gandalfbmg (Bart German)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hate shoes... I have one pair of shoes I use for two costumes, and a pair of boots I use for three; if I can reuse shoes and/or costumes with what I've got is a big consideration for me...

I'd walk around barefoot, or just in sandals/slippers, if I could get away with it all the time.

Dantooine Base: Keeping flyover country Imperial-free since 2007
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Rebel Bases N. America -> Dantooine Base All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: