Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=0b459fa783677ddacf7f297fd0a4e11fMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

My Old Republic Jedi
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Rebel Bases N. America -> Dantooine Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SapphireGypsy ()

Medals: None

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 6:03 am    Post subject: My Old Republic Jedi Reply with quote

So here's how it all started. Five years ago my then boyfriend, now husband, decided to buy a lightsaber. He told me "if you make me a Jedi robe I'll wear it." being the good girlfriend that I was I made his robe, but not the whole costume because he "doesn't do costumes". Well when Halloween rolled around and it was time for him to make good on his promise, he backed out.

Not one to let good work go to waste I grabbed some make shift pieces out of my closet and wore it myself to go trick or treating with my niece and nephew. Spent the evening being called Obi Wan and even challenged a little Vader who hid behind his mothers legs when I whipped out the lightsaber, but a good time was had by all.

Fast forward about 3 years, I'm out of work and had been invited to a friends Halloween party, costumes a requirement. The robe has been hanging in my closet unused since the last Halloween it saw action and I'd promised myself several times I'd make the rest of the costume someday. Well I had some fabric in my stash that was perfect in my mind and had found some boots that were MUCH better, so the rest, minus the belt and tabards, got made.

Fast forward a couple more years to an epiphany I had at C2E2 this year that the most fun I have when I'm in costume is when I'm interacting with kids and the realization that there aren't many superhero costumers in my area so..... Here I am. I've got a belt coming from a friend who's getting out of costuming and I need to make my tabards finally, but she's about done and ready for submission I think.

So long winded, but there's a method to the madness. Plus I think the high heel Jedi is kinda funny. Lol
gandalfbmg (Bart German)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome! Let us know if you need any help getting finished up. You'll have to meet up with the St. Louis folks sometime too.

Dantooine Base: Keeping flyover country Imperial-free since 2007
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Gius Maximus (Rich Heffernan)
Legion Council
Legion Council

Medals: 2 (View more...)
CVI Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome! We'd definitely be happy to help any ay we can. There are a few of us here in St. Louis including myself and some others here working toward joining.
SapphireGypsy ()

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys. I REALLY need to re-hem the robe. I nevere took it up for my height when he decided to not wear it. It looks cool for photos but I end up carrying it everywhere because it's too long.

I'm thinking of replacing his lightsaber with one with a removable blade and I've seen people talking about putting a pocket into the robe to hold the blade but I'm not sure how heavy/stiff that would make it. Does anyone have any experience with this? If I'm fixing the thing I might as well make it better.

I'm still waiting for the belt to come from my friend, I'm going to have to cut it down, he said it measured 44"..... Definitely too big for me. So that will be fun when it gets here, but it's actually one he used for his Anakin so it's got pouches and food capsules and everything. I'm kinda excited about that, but only cause I'm a dork and want to have all the goodies. Very Happy
Legion Council
Legion Council

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 2:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nothing wrong with liking all the goodies. Smile

We have several jedi in the base. Pretty much while trooping I never take the blade off the sabers. Usually always busy taking photos so no time to go without it. I've at times while wearing my outer robe (which I don't very often due to being too hot) I'll just slide the blade in my belt and no one can see it. I've seen folks do the blade pocket in the robe, but not sure how that really works out.
SapphireGypsy ()

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wheni bought the fabric I got it becaus it has sucha great drape to it. It's not super heavy but of you look at it up close... Well it looks like something a Jedi should have. Same for the rest of the fabric. I was afraid that sticking a rigid blade in there would completely mess up that drape, and I was probably right.

I've done the super hero costumes for a while and I'll subject myself to quite a bit of pain/heat/general discomfort for the sake of making kids smile. Very Happy

I might skip the pocket for it then. Thanks for the input.

I'm hoping if I can get this one approved without too much trouble to move onto an x-wing pilot and maybe even one of the maroon handmaidens.... But that all depends on time and such.
Zazarus (David Scheffner)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah really I never take the blade out of my lightsaber at events either. I love the ability to do that, but if it was not removable it wouldn't be a huge issue either. Basically, you have the lightsaber now, work on what your don't have and later down the road if you want to replace the saber with another (be it store bought removable blade, or custom built, etc) then that is an option to look at. The big hurdle for a lot of people is the belt and boots after the lightsaber or the robes if you know thing zero about sewing like some of the schmucks on this base forum Wink (yes I'm kidding and poking fun at Rich and a few others not named Vera)

Remember that this is a jedi and your own creation, make it what you want and make it something you enjoy wearing.
SapphireGypsy ()

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I will eventually replace the saber with one of my own, cause as much as I love my husband.... He gets paranoid that I'm going to drop it or something.lol I've been looking at ultrasabers but then my husband also keeps talking about buying a lathe when we get our new house.... So it would bevery tempting to make my own. In the mean time I can allow pick up one of the others if he decides he won't let me out of the house with it.

I've been sewing since I was like 5. My grandmother taught me. Re-hemming the robe and making the tabards probably doily have been done this weekend if not for the fact that our AC died and my office felt like a sauna. I've got today off work though, I might try to whip it out.

The boots I actually had a 501st member at that halloween party think they were approved boots. So I'm. It super worried about them. I should really get a good picture of them. And hopefully the belt will get here today.Very Happy I'm excited to see it all together for once.
BedlamX (Tommy Sutton)
Dantooine Base CO
Dantooine Base CO

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heya, Saph. Cool to see you working on the Jedi. Should be able to find just about any help you will need on here.
Legion Council
Legion Council

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I don't know a thing about sewing nor do I pretend to do so. (Thanks Dave Razz )

I can direct you on about anything you need to know on the lighsaber side of things. I highly do not recommend Ultrasabers for a lot of reasons.

Definitely post up a picture of the belt and the boots. We can let you know pretty quickly on the approval factor.
SapphireGypsy ()

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Bedlam! It's always fun to see people I know. I'm actually glad to be pulling it out of retirement and making it into something real.

Here's the belt that's coming to me. I still will have to cut it down to fit me but that should be easy enough... I hope. I get the pouches and everything.

And these are the boots I have. It's really hard to take pictures of your own feet but flat doesn't do them justice.

They're faux suede and if my damn calves get any bigger I'll have to make those wrap around straps functional and add a panel in them. Stupid big legs, they make finding boots next to impossible.
gandalfbmg (Bart German)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where do the boots end in relation to your knee? they look a little short but it's hard to tell for sure.

Dantooine Base: Keeping flyover country Imperial-free since 2007
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
SapphireGypsy ()

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They're actually not that short. My leg from the ground to the top of my kneecap is 21" these measure 12" from the ground.
Zazarus (David Scheffner)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The requirements say the boots have to come up to the calf, but does not say it has to come to the top of it or anything...

Who did you go with on the belt? It looks pretty good.
SapphireGypsy ()

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lol. Good to know. I have such a hard time finding boots that fit over my big fat calves. If they want them taller I can always add on more fabric to the top... I think.... But I love these boots so much it's crazy.lol

I'm buying it second hand from a friend actually, I'm not sure who begotten it from. He's getting out of costuming and I lucked out, it was one of the pieces that I wasn't sure how to construct myself. I would have managed it but he posted his when I was getting ready to make a trip to Tandy leather to see what they had. I think the costuming gods wanted me to finish my Jedi. Lol
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Rebel Bases N. America -> Dantooine Base All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: