About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards
 

Forum and Costume Controls

   FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=03fac38bc1bd76ed0a58b58290747434Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

       
REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Maker Faire Kansas City (June 23-24)
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Rebel Bases N. America -> Dantooine Base -> Dantooine Archive
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
gandalfbmg (Bart German)
Active Legion Member


Joined: 17 Mar 2007
Posts: 2140
Location: Missouri
Medals: None

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 5:23 pm    Post subject: Maker Faire Kansas City (June 23-24)
Event from Sat Jun 23, 2012 3:30 pm to Sun Jun 24, 2012 11:00 am
Reply with quote

Maker Faire (http://www.makerfairekc.com/) is a gathering of the DIY-friendly 'maker culture' around Kansas City. Last year, a couple 501st members and the Iron Brothers of Topeka showed up in costume to show off their creations.

This year lets show them a more diverse view of the local costume making community. In addition to armor, we have seamsters, prop makers, droid builders that all contribute to the costuming community, and hopefully we can all be respsented.

Not only can you share your work, you'll get to see what other "makers" are doing in a diverse array of areas, and maybe even figure out applications for their work (like 3D printing) in costume making.


Here are the details. The show runs:
Saturday, June 23, 2012, 9:30 am – 7 pm
Sunday, June 24, 2012, 9:30 am – 5 pm
The event is held at Union Station in midtown KC (by Liberty Memorial/Crown Center), parking is $5.

We can have as many troops there as we want, and a handler/photographer for every 3-4 troops we have, admitted free. They do have space we can use for changing/storage as well.

If you want to bring the friends/family along, prices are as follows (and also includes admission to Science City):
$10 Adult Day Pass
$17.50 Adult Weekend Pass
$7.00 Youth/Military/Senior Day Pass
$12.50 Youth/Military/Senior Weekend Pass
$50 Family Weekend Pass for 4
$30 Family Day Pass for 4

Please respond if you're interested, and in what capacity (i.e. what costume you'd be wearing, what times you'd be able to attend, etc.). We'll have a list of who's trooping we'll need to provide to them by a couple days before the event at the latest.


Last edited by gandalfbmg (Bart German) on Tue Jun 26, 2012 6:02 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
dones (Donald Salsbury)
Active Legion Member


Joined: 25 Mar 2012
Posts: 56
Location: Gardner, Kansas
Medals: None

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I took the family last year and had a good time checking out all the booths. I am planning on making it to one of the days this year; I'm currently leaning towards Saturday, but since that's my moms bday it could go either way.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Gius Maximus (Rich Heffernan)
Legion Council
Legion Council


Joined: 24 Dec 2009
Posts: 1436

Medals: 2 (View more...)
CVI Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm on-call that weekend so probably not for me. I'd want to do it in conjunction with something else as well.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Culvan (Andy Shimamoto)
Active Legion Member


Joined: 27 Mar 2012
Posts: 8

Medals: None

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, I've been told they want troopers this year. I'm trying to figure out who the contacts are. Last year I trooped this, it was fun. I'll be on-call during this. I'm trying to figure out if it's worth shuffling my schedule around for it.

Anyhow, once I find the appropriate contact I'll send their information over to you, Bill and Rhonda.

Andy
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
gandalfbmg (Bart German)
Active Legion Member


Joined: 17 Mar 2007
Posts: 2140
Location: Missouri
Medals: None

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Culvan wrote:
Actually, I've been told they want troopers this year. I'm trying to figure out who the contacts are. Last year I trooped this, it was fun. I'll be on-call during this. I'm trying to figure out if it's worth shuffling my schedule around for it.

Anyhow, once I find the appropriate contact I'll send their information over to you, Bill and Rhonda.

Andy


If they wanted to give the groups a table/space, we could bring our info and backdrop maybe...

I will sing and dance in costume, if they can hook me up with a 3D printer Smile That's my main goal this year, to get in contact with the guys that make those things...
_________________

Dantooine Base: Keeping flyover country Imperial-free since 2007
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Zazarus (David Scheffner)
Active Legion Member


Joined: 30 Dec 2010
Posts: 270

Medals: None

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you might have better luck in saying if your don't give me a 3D printer I will sing and dance. LOL

Are you looking for the general printer or the high detail printer that uses the fine powder?

I think they are neat but it would still be a pain to make the molds of the master because the stuff that comes out of the powder printers will not hold up for a really long time.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
gandalfbmg (Bart German)
Active Legion Member


Joined: 17 Mar 2007
Posts: 2140
Location: Missouri
Medals: None

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zazarus wrote:
I think you might have better luck in saying if your don't give me a 3D printer I will sing and dance. LOL

Are you looking for the general printer or the high detail printer that uses the fine powder?

I think they are neat but it would still be a pain to make the molds of the master because the stuff that comes out of the powder printers will not hold up for a really long time.

I have no idea what different types there are, I've only seen the ones they had last year and I didn't get that long a look at them. But my thinking is: use them to create molds but coat them in something to make them more durable (fiberglass?). I just think it's a damn shame that the only thing stopping everyone from vac-forming armor in their own homes for all their friends is that you have to be a sculptor to make the stupid molds... I want to see a world where all we need is someone who can make 3D renderings on a computer, which is easily distribuatble anywhere, then anyone with a 3D printer, and oven and a shop vac can make armor...
_________________

Dantooine Base: Keeping flyover country Imperial-free since 2007
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Zazarus (David Scheffner)
Active Legion Member


Joined: 30 Dec 2010
Posts: 270

Medals: None

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even coating them in something, the high detail powder printers are just not made to last at all. if you seal it right and never touch it, it should last awhile but this would be for props so its not the best idea.

The cheap one you can make yourself uses layers of melted plastic to make the items, a lot more durable but as you can guess its not as high detail.

Also the shear cost of the powder printer is a factor too putting it at a point that it would be cheaper to take sculpting classes instead.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Nickel (Nick Letcher)
Active Legion Member


Joined: 28 Sep 2011
Posts: 133
Location: Kansas City
Medals: None

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the most cost effective way to do it would be the melted plastic. You print out the rough piece and then bondo the heck out of it.
_________________
jawa 2 What does the Jawa say?
Utinni-ni-ni-ni-ni-ni-ni
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
gandalfbmg (Bart German)
Active Legion Member


Joined: 17 Mar 2007
Posts: 2140
Location: Missouri
Medals: None

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nickel wrote:
I think the most cost effective way to do it would be the melted plastic. You print out the rough piece and then bondo the heck out of it.

The melted plastic ones are the ones I've seen.
_________________

Dantooine Base: Keeping flyover country Imperial-free since 2007
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Culvan (Andy Shimamoto)
Active Legion Member


Joined: 27 Mar 2012
Posts: 8

Medals: None

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gandalfbmg wrote:

If they wanted to give the groups a table/space, we could bring our info and backdrop maybe...


We are a little bit late, but they had an open call for makers. We do enough work with our armor to qualify. We could've gotten a display table, but the deadline was yesterday. You could try to apply anyway and see if they go for it. http://www.makerfairekc.com/information/

You guys seem to have figured out my diabolical plans... I built a CNC machine a few years back. I built a Vacuum forming table a little before that. I've done a lot of research into exactly the sort of stuff you are talking about. There is a group called KC Fabricators that is a subgroup of the Cowtown Computer Congress Kansas City, the local hacker/maker group. Virtually none of the fabrication technologies are perfect for making a 3D model and vacuum forming on it. If my CNC was good enough for wood I'd probably be better off. Unfortunately my CNC limitation is my knowledge of machining. I can cut foam just fine. Cupcake and reprap use plastruders to extrude plastic. The items that are produced are usually small and fragile. They can be infused with CA glue to give them strength, but they're still not sufficient to Vac over. I've been looking into a powder printer that could print 3D objects using hydrostone. Those would be good if they were mixed properly, but I'm not sure they would be. Still I'm tempted to give it a try.
http://johns3dp.blogspot.com/search?updated-max=2009-09-09T13:06:00-07:00&max-results=7&start=7&by-date=false

I was hoping to show off my stuff at one of your prop parties.

Andy
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Zazarus (David Scheffner)
Active Legion Member


Joined: 30 Dec 2010
Posts: 270

Medals: None

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah the 3D wood machine is awesome, I wish I had one of those. Sad
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
gandalfbmg (Bart German)
Active Legion Member


Joined: 17 Mar 2007
Posts: 2140
Location: Missouri
Medals: None

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Culvan wrote:
gandalfbmg wrote:

If they wanted to give the groups a table/space, we could bring our info and backdrop maybe...


We are a little bit late, but they had an open call for makers. We do enough work with our armor to qualify. We could've gotten a display table, but the deadline was yesterday. You could try to apply anyway and see if they go for it. http://www.makerfairekc.com/information/

You guys seem to have figured out my diabolical plans... I built a CNC machine a few years back. I built a Vacuum forming table a little before that. I've done a lot of research into exactly the sort of stuff you are talking about. There is a group called KC Fabricators that is a subgroup of the Cowtown Computer Congress Kansas City, the local hacker/maker group. Virtually none of the fabrication technologies are perfect for making a 3D model and vacuum forming on it. If my CNC was good enough for wood I'd probably be better off. Unfortunately my CNC limitation is my knowledge of machining. I can cut foam just fine. Cupcake and reprap use plastruders to extrude plastic. The items that are produced are usually small and fragile. They can be infused with CA glue to give them strength, but they're still not sufficient to Vac over. I've been looking into a powder printer that could print 3D objects using hydrostone. Those would be good if they were mixed properly, but I'm not sure they would be. Still I'm tempted to give it a try.
http://johns3dp.blogspot.com/search?updated-max=2009-09-09T13:06:00-07:00&max-results=7&start=7&by-date=false

I was hoping to show off my stuff at one of your prop parties.

Andy

Don't some armor maker use insulation foam bucks? You just have to coat them in something like smooth on to give them some durability and smooth surface, right? Seems if you can 'machine' the foam from a 3D design that would work no?

Anyway, I would personally feel weird both on my own behalf (not being a particularly skilled maker of anything, let alone armor) or RL (who admittedly are not primarily armored costumes) trying to justify why we need a table, nor would I ever presume to speak for the local 501st. Maybe we just show up this year and see what we can do next year to expand...
_________________

Dantooine Base: Keeping flyover country Imperial-free since 2007
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Culvan (Andy Shimamoto)
Active Legion Member


Joined: 27 Mar 2012
Posts: 8

Medals: None

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gandalfbmg wrote:

Don't some armor maker use insulation foam bucks? You just have to coat them in something like smooth on to give them some durability and smooth surface, right? Seems if you can 'machine' the foam from a 3D design that would work no?

Anyway, I would personally feel weird both on my own behalf (not being a particularly skilled maker of anything, let alone armor) or RL (who admittedly are not primarily armored costumes) trying to justify why we need a table, nor would I ever presume to speak for the local 501st. Maybe we just show up this year and see what we can do next year to expand...


I think KW designs / OSCS does do something like that. It's documented on Clone Empire, but the board is down right now because it's getting migrated. I guess I should break out the smooth-on 300 at some point and give it a try. I've been using wood glue / Elmer's white glue to seal it and epoxy mixed with alcohol for strength. I'm still trying to cast my work so I can make a plaster buck to form off of. I'll probably try it directly at some point.

Hopefully next year will work out better for me and I can sign up as a maker on my own. With a little help I can haul out the CNC and the vac table. If you guys help me man the table we can all troop too.

Andy
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
gandalfbmg (Bart German)
Active Legion Member


Joined: 17 Mar 2007
Posts: 2140
Location: Missouri
Medals: None

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Culvan wrote:
gandalfbmg wrote:

Don't some armor maker use insulation foam bucks? You just have to coat them in something like smooth on to give them some durability and smooth surface, right? Seems if you can 'machine' the foam from a 3D design that would work no?

Anyway, I would personally feel weird both on my own behalf (not being a particularly skilled maker of anything, let alone armor) or RL (who admittedly are not primarily armored costumes) trying to justify why we need a table, nor would I ever presume to speak for the local 501st. Maybe we just show up this year and see what we can do next year to expand...


I think KW designs / OSCS does do something like that. It's documented on Clone Empire, but the board is down right now because it's getting migrated. I guess I should break out the smooth-on 300 at some point and give it a try. I've been using wood glue / Elmer's white glue to seal it and epoxy mixed with alcohol for strength. I'm still trying to cast my work so I can make a plaster buck to form off of. I'll probably try it directly at some point.

Hopefully next year will work out better for me and I can sign up as a maker on my own. With a little help I can haul out the CNC and the vac table. If you guys help me man the table we can all troop too.

Andy

I was talking to Chris Haze about it too a couple years ago, and I think that's what he said they use, insulation foam and smooth on...

I would feel a lot better about us having a booth if we actually had some of the stuff for 'making' there to fit in with the theme better, so I'm in if we can do that Smile
_________________

Dantooine Base: Keeping flyover country Imperial-free since 2007
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Rebel Bases N. America -> Dantooine Base -> Dantooine Archive All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You can post calendar events in this forum
The Rebel Legion is a worldwide Star Wars costuming organization comprised of and operated by Star Wars fans. While not sponsored by Lucasfilm Ltd., it is Lucasfilm's preferred volunteer Rebel costuming group. Star Wars, its characters, costumes, and all associated items are the intellectual property of Lucasfilm. © 2014 Lucasfilm Ltd. & ™ All rights reserved. Used under authorization.


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group