About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=ce4916762de560bbd71f8932e4653da0Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Han Solo Build - "Sorry About the Mess"

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Han Solo and Other Smugglers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jdyyz ()

Medals: None

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 6:48 pm    Post subject: Han Solo Build - "Sorry About the Mess" Reply with quote

After spending a few weeks reading, looking at photos, checking forums and generally lurking around, I've managed to convince myself that I can make a Han Solo costume, rather than buying one already made. Whether this proves true in the long run remains to be seen, but for now, I am diving in.

Today marks the beginning of my journey, as I just purchased my first Han Solo item: boots.

I was tempted to go with Front of Russia, but they don't use PayPal and I've read stories of them not being the most reliable, so in the end I paid a little bit more and went with some Ebay boots. They are Russian officer boots and they look great in the photos. I've just ordered them, so I expect they will arrive some time in the next month or so.

Step one is down.

Here are the boots: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120636071180

I am still on the fence about which version of Han I will build first, but I am leaning toward ESB. If/when I do make my own pants, I will likely make both the blue and the brown pants at the same time, since the patterns will be the same. I understand the Falcon Jacket pattern is a great starting point for the ESB jacket and also as a guide for the two vests, so that is also on my list. Hopefully, I can get some help from mom, who used to make me some great costumes as a kid. My wife, of course, thinks I'm nuts, but we'll see.

As for blasters, getting replica weapons is a challenge up here in Canada, so I will probably have to go with resin casts. I will do some more research on that when the time comes.

I really appreciate all the information and the helpful posts in this forum and I look forward to sharing my journey with you.

Thanks!
jedimika ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: 5 (View more...)
CVI Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great news! Keep us posted.
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 4:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a great start - I have almost the same boots, except the calves on mine are more narrow and I have a back piece added to give additional stretch. It does appear that the tops are not entirely straight; if that's the case you might want to bring them to a local cobbler and have the tops cut down.

And unfortunately your wife is correct: you are nuts. The good news is that you are on a board with like minded individuals.

Mr. Green

Last edited by Havok69 () on Wed Mar 07, 2012 8:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
jdyyz ()

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 4:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Havok69 wrote:
That's a great start - I have almost the same boots, except the calves on mine are more narrow and I have a back piece added to give additional stretch. It does appear that the tops are not entirely straight; if that's the case you might want to bring them to a local cobbler and have the tops cut down.

And unfortunately your wife if correct: you are nuts. The good news is that you are on a board with like minded individuals.

Mr. Green

Haha, good to know. I get the feeling I might have to have the calves expanded a bit on those boots, anyway, as I was looking at the specs of some of those and they are about 41 cm, while my calves are more like 45 cm. While I'm having that done, I'll have them fixed at the top, as well. I guess I'll find out when they get here.
jdyyz ()

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I finally got the boots this week, but they are definitely a tight fit on the calves. They will also need to have the tops levelled off, but luckily I know of a great place for fixing leather boots. I'll probably ask him about inserting some extra space in the calves, too. They fit tight, but almost too tight on the calves. I highly recommend this source from Ebay for these boots. Her communication is great, her shipping is relatively fast and the boots are in great shape. I'll try to get my wife to help me out with some decent photos this weekend.
Cobalt60

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I notice they say size 44 / 11.5US --- normally an EU44 would be more like a 10.5US (?)

--> do these fit as a true 11.5? I'm never sure which size to order.
jdyyz ()

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, actually, size 44 Russian is more like a 12. Apparently she had a typo in that headline. I wear 11.5/12 and in European I am closer to size 46. The Adidas I'm wearing right now are 12 and the size 44 Russian boots fit my feet quite well, though they're a touch snug in the calves.

Here are some in size Russian 43/US 11.5 http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-USSR-Russian-Officer-Calfskin-Leather-Riding-Military-Boots-43-UdSSR-11-5-US-/120786959706?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c1f76bd5a#ht_2245wt_739

If you have any doubts, contact her. She replied to my message very promptly when I wanted to ensure I got size 44/12.
Havok69 ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have Russian officer boots as well. Mine are size 44 also. They fit me perfect and I am an 11.5 or 12 US size depending on the brand.
jdyyz ()

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, it's been a while (time flies) but I haven't made much progress. I have just started on a fitness and nutrition program with a goal of dropping 25lb, so I am not going to be getting the clothes and belts for this until I stabilize my body shape! It's still happening, it will just be sloooowwww for a while.
Havok69 ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No worries - you've got time. I know I wanted to rush my build, but I ended up taking my time and I'm very satisfied with how it turned out. In the meantime, maybe you can work on the props part like the blaster and the relay looking tools...
jdyyz ()

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's the plan. I really would like to get a metal blaster, but I am trying to figure out a way to get one that won't get me in trouble with the Canadian authorities.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Han Solo and Other Smugglers All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: