About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=775620059b40f64a2a9896162508c36aMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Tarfful Costume
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Chewbacca and Other Wookiees
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Darth Serberus ()

Medals: None

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 9:14 pm    Post subject: Tarfful Costume Reply with quote

Hi there, this is my first good guy costume so please be gentle with me.
I started this build originally way back in 2010 after being really inspired by Dougie Fett's amazing Chewie.
I have literally been up to my eyeballs with commissions since then and haven't had the chance to work on this build until about 4 weeks ago. But once I got started again it has been alot of hard work but incredibly fun.
So here goes from the very beginning....
Not having anyone locally who could lifecast me I got the calipers and mirror out and sculpted a very rough likeness of my head. At least i would have something to sculpt the face onto!

The first Tarful sculpt I did was just way too deep and the the proportions were all wrong. But after having a good look at Dave's reference pics it started to look way better.

I wasn't too happy with the sculpt but hopefully when it was covered with hair it would cover any horrors. lol
So then it was into the mold.

I then did a test silicone pull. It came out ok but it's a bit heavy considering all the hair dreads and dread rings, the underskull, teeth, fans switch gear, etc that are going to be hanging off it.

Then it was onto the lifts. I'm only 6'6" so I was definitely going to need some more height to pull off the mighty Tarfful.
I decided to go down the plasterers stilts route. But first they needed to be heavily modified. I cut them down to just 15" and repositioned the brace with rivets. I also got hold of some heavier duty springs to take the weight.
These stilts are only rated for use to 210lb, I alone weigh 255lb and thats without wearing a carpet, armour and weapons.
They worked out great in the end, incredibly stable, I don't even have to think about where I tread or how I move. I even attempted a few comedy karate kicks and managed to stay on my feet! Noise wasn't going to be a problem as they are going to be incased in foam and rubber.

In all the excitement I did a quick sketch over the top of my red outline wearing the stilts. This was to see the feasibility of hiding the stilts under the muscle suit. I think it just might work!
SoloYT1300 (Robert Kohn)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 5 (View more...)
Philippines Typhon Relief (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you feel casting him with mouth open is going to work? Casting it in this manner may make it hard to close your mouth.

Just a thought, not trying to criticise.

Bob
SoloYT1300 (Robert Kohn)
Active Legion Member

Philippines Typhon Relief (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or is that the way it is suppose to be... I guess I have not done much work on research so I really do not know.

Bob
Dougie Fett ()

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This thread is definitely worth watching....where's my popcorn??

Rob, I think some of the ROTS wookiees were cast this way, for the most part Tarfful has his mouth slightly open.

Also helps a lot with lip thickness too.
SoloYT1300 (Robert Kohn)
Active Legion Member

CVI Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, spent a bit of time looking.

Your right... he is kind of a mouth breather compaired to the other wookiees...lol
Darth Serberus ()

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's right Rob, as Dave was saying you rarely see Tarfful with his mouth fully closed so I sculpted it open very slightly.
Back to the build-
So then it was on to sculpt some feet onto the stilts.
Made a start with one very stupid mistake(can you spot it? lol) that came from being lazy with reference material

After rectifying my stupid mistake and adding another toe I recast the front section of the foot.
I laid the mould up with canvas and stretch panels laminated between latex layers.
Then cut a foot shaped piece of door mat and screwed it to the bottom of the stilts. This then allowed me to latex the hairy side of the carpet to the inside of the foot.
When the latex was dry I mixed up a batch of soft flexible foam and poured it into the foot.
This then filled all the cavities, securely bonded the stilt to the outer skin and made a perfect sound deadener for the metalic clunk of the stilt. The foot now bends like a real foot would when you walk.

Now all it needs is LOTS of hair!

The under skull was next. This I cast from a negative of the original head sculpt.
I used light weight fibreglass tissue and articulated the jaw with scratch built aluminium hinges. This is the version 1 underskull.

The teeth and gums I sculpted in plastiline and then cast in dental monoacrylic.

I made two versions of this under skull. The first I sold to a buddy who was making a Merumeru costume. Hence the different shaped teeth.
This is the version 2.

I have set the jaw differently to better suit Tarff and added a micro lever switch which activates a sound board when the jaw opens. Also I added a side lip snarl.
SoloYT1300 (Robert Kohn)
Active Legion Member

CVI Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Remarkable work!
firebird ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This build is looking great, keep the pics coming. Time for my dumb question, are you still able to access the stilts for general maintenance or breakages?
Darth Serberus ()

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The stilts are pretty much bullet proof after the upgrades but if you really needed to access them you could peel away the foam and then re-foam them again afterwards.
Here's a vid of the stilt test,

http://youtu.be/ro7yys9FnoQ

and of the under skull, sound board and lip snarl.

http://youtu.be/IYlQVhOH_6U
Darth Serberus ()

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Started latch hooking on the feet. It was all very slow at first but once I got the hang of it the speed picked up considerably.

To make these massive feet work I have had to scale everything up a bit.
Hence I've made a VERY rudimentary muscle suit. I'm absolutely poo at sewing so everything that can be is glued or wired!

That is pretty much where I left the build back in 2010.
Jump forward a year and a bit and I've moved into a much bigger workshop and was able stand the Wookie up for the first time.
I was quite pleased with how the proportions worked out on the mannequin. I was really trying to avoid the long legged, short armed look that can so easily happen when using stilts. I did this by making finger extensions to make the arms appear longer and lowered the waist and crotch slightly. That is just the rough silicone head sitting on the mannequin for effect.

Before diving into the rather extensive hair job, I decided to get all the other bits out of the way first.
I started with the shoulder armour, which I decided to make in latex and foam. I did this for practical reasons, to keep the weight down, reduce the amount of parts and to improve flexibility. As a bonus it seams to really stay in place all by itself with little need for loads of straps.
Starting with a sculpt of clay that I then moulded and cast.

I worked out the size of the shoulder armour and buckles from making a quick cardboard cut out and offering it up to the mannequin.

After laying in the latex and foam I painted them up with some metallic paints and added some weathering.
Nikkos Khann (Conley Nichols)
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

Medals: 3 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 2)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 3:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is awesome! The armor looks incredible.

Keep up the good work! Cool

'I've got a bad feeling about this!'
Docking Bay 94 Commanding Officer 2011-2014
Comlink Admin - Fringe LCJ,
Charter Committee
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Fuzzball ()

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow ....you are quite the creator. please keep the progress picks comming .

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now that Invasion Dublin 3 is out of the way I can back to posting up the last few bits of this build!
The armour that I put on the mannequin was still rough and incomplete. First I added the the quick release buckles at the front for easy access and cut out the recess sections to house the sound board and amp.
The 15w amp fits in the front section just under the chin area.

The sound board slots nicely into the recess in the back. Finally the whole thing was covered in a few coats of black latex. this bonds it all together nicely and makes it much more durable.

With all the fun stuff done it was onto the dreaded hairing!!
I put the suit on the mannequin and put that on a bench and away I went.
With a bit of help and lots of encouragement from Dave (Dougie Fett) I started ploughing through it. Beginning at the feet and working my way up.
Seeing the legs almost complete did help with the inspiration and it was really good to see that the muscle suit was adding to the shape of the legs. I feared any shape would be lost under the piles of hair.

Things started to pic up speed a bit after that and got onto the top half after three days. I used a blend of a 5-6 different colours in each handful to create a more realistic overall colour. Unfortunately Kanekalon hair will never be as good as the NFT hair no matter how many different colours you blend together. The NFT stuff actually has gradients of colour through each fiber which the Kanekalon just doesn't have. So I'll just have to stick with this for now and maybe try an NFT version next.

By the end of the second week I had it all covered.
I still need to add some of the white/grey blond to the highlights. Then the whole thing needs a good thin out as it looks just a tad too bulky.

Of course I had to have a quick comedy try on (play about! lol) in it just to make sure everything fitted. I found that using some DAX pomade hair wax really gave it that used rat tailed look that the screen used versions had. So I will be applying a few tins of this to it once the hair has been thinned out.
Marcus ()

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are a very talented man. Post some pics of the con when you get a chance.
Darth Serberus ()

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks a million for the kind comments guys!
I finally got a few better pics done, they are cut outs so we can use them for a bit of EG publicity in the near future.
Got the dreads under control a bit more now which I think helps a bit more in the general silhouette.
Hope you like em?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Chewbacca and Other Wookiees All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: