About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=bed86c2922ad4b7a9a96ef27185b7411Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Finally submitted my Padme Tatooine Peasant Disguise!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Padme
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Padme of Hidden Lake ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Gold Star (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 5:16 am    Post subject: Finally submitted my Padme Tatooine Peasant Disguise! Reply with quote

So I finally finished the brown belt parts today. Who'd have thought that the friendship bracelet making that we drove the bosses nuts with at camp would ever come in so handy!

I wrote up my whole process here: http://padmeofhiddenlake.blogspot.com/2012/04/padmes-tatooine-peasant-disguise-from.html

Just hoping that I get the ok on this one soon so that I can wear it this weekend!
Active Legion Member

Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome build diary/tutorial!
Padme of Hidden Lake ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks!
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 2:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

re-dyed the pants per LCJ suggestion to bring it up to formal status. But they now look too red (much darker at least.)

What do you all think? Should I hit them with more dye to get them darker and less red or are they better now. And if I should hit them again should I go for a dark blue to even it out or a dark purple and hope that it isn't too red in the end?
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

Medals: None

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think, in the long run, darker will be better. On screen, they look almost brown. You may want to mix a couple of colors, rather than just doing another dunk in the same color, in order to get it darker.

I happened across this page for dye mixing a while back: http://www.ritdye.com/colorit_color_formula_guide

In various stages of planning and progress:
Generic Jedi, Riyo Chuchi, Havoc Trooper, Queen Apailana, Nomi Sunrider

Royalty/Senatorial Costume Judge
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Padme of Hidden Lake ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried again. This time used Navy (as that was the other combo to make dark purple. - Did Purple mixed with Wine first, then just Wine to make it darker for the second dunk, now the Navy). It is much darker and more plum than the original but still not sure if it is dark enough. Wondering if I should try a different brand next to see if it is just not reacting well with all the fibers. (the fabric is a blend - Linen, polyester and Rayon).

Here's dye job 3. With the leg wraps again for comparison.

Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What type of dye and fabric are you working with?
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My suggestion is to mix with black to get the shade darker. The original Padme pants are almost a raisin color so I think the red-purple will react well with black. You just want to start with a tint so I say try mixing a teaspoon of black with a box of purple Rit. You can always use less to see what it will do because you can always dye it darker Smile

Good luck, it's looking great!

rebelshaven.blogspot.com
verdaera.deviantart.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Padme of Hidden Lake ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks ladies.

I have been using Rit but the fabric has some polyester in it - it is a blend approximately a third each: poly, rayon, and linen. As it has gotten darker I'm noticing that when I look at it very closely, not all the fibers are dyed evenly.

Can Dylon Poly be mixed? I'm thinking that I might try that and see if it works better - it is a LOT darker than the first time but I would like it to be perfect.
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 4:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got the poly dye today and it did do a better job - no more beige streaks hidden in the folds! But it isn't really getting much darker. It is a little bit but not as much as I thought it would be. The dye was iDye Poly - a full package of violet and a half package of brown mixed.

Is this dark enough or do I start looking for another pair of pants either in the right color or in a fabric that dyes better than this blend?
Legion XO
Legion XO

Medals: 2 (View more...)
CVI Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

See the above picture of the actual costume on exhibit. The pants are very dark, but as Vera said above, they are more like a raisin color. The purple hints are much closer to brown. The pants are not violet or plain purple at all. Some fabrics you just cannot dye correctly unfortunately. As Vera also said, you need to hit them with some black dye to see if that changes anything. Mixing brown dye obviously didn't help the situation. Nothing seems to be making them darker, so, try black dye. It has to make them a little darker at the very least. Try to get them closer to a raisin color if you can is the best advice I can give you. If all else fails, you may need to remake the pants out of a darker material and just avoid the dying process all together.
www.facebook.com/PrincessSandy41280
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Padme of Hidden Lake ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 4:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I think then I will have to wait till I can afford new pants. These just wont' take any more dye - my dryer has gotten it all.

I did wear it as informal this weekend and was recognized for the first time as being Padme by 90% of the public that saw me (and all the rest admitted to never having watched the prequels when they asked who I was).

Can I suggest updating these standards as well, they currently state: "Large deep purple or plum pants" which is a broad range of color whereas what is being looked for is much more narrow. (I would also like to see the brown belts added to the standards as well as they are clearly visible but not mentioned at all but that is a separate issue).
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, please dont give up with this costume - your build pages are fantastic!

Colours can be so hard to match - there's a few build threads going on with the same problem. I've just gone through a redye with my Barriss Offee to get the darkest possible blue I can.... and then managed to shrink everything two sizes smaller.

*sigh*

Really looking forward to reading about your progress!
Princess Sandy ()
Legion XO
Legion XO

Medals: 2 (View more...)

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The standards are on lock down right now until all of the rejudging has taken place, but we are all working on revising the current standards to be more accurate and better understood. We fully plan to make the correction to this standard, as the pants are not purple or plum, as you can see from the exhibit photos. I always look at the actual photos from exhibit and the screen stills and the promo pics on every costume to make sure that I am doing them correctly, as well as make sure that I meet the standards.
The standards are there as a guide, but everyone should be making their costumes according to the visual evidence that is available for each costume as well. Smile

I am glad however that you are able to troop in this costume in the mean time as informal, until you can manage to get some better pants. Smile
www.facebook.com/PrincessSandy41280
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Padme of Hidden Lake ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't worry Moxxxie not giving up just being a realist and knowing that I need to save up/be making money to try any more. That was why I used these pants to begin with, they had been my Jedi pants but I found a new and better pair at Kmart for $5 and these had the right texture so I tried it. everything else except for the belt materials I already had, and those were ridiculously cheap cause they are extremely long friendship bracelets. but hopefully I will be working in the fall and will be able to afford new ones then.

But until then I will definitely keep wearing the informal because it is SOOOOOO much more comfortable than any of my others.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Padme All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: