About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=c76c5bb57ad9e60959a56461d58c27edMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

I'm new here - working on a NR Jedi
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Rebel Bases N. America -> Dantooine Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dones (Donald Salsbury)
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, I believe I now have all the necessary parts for my belt and pouches. I'm going to work on the pouches on my own, but I think I'll need help on the belt. I'll bring it to the work night this Saturday.

I've had a dickens of a time finding a suitable front buckle. I finally settled on using this clasp from Tandy:
http://d6tcb1qb2rg5x.cloudfront.net/services/image.aspx/media/images-product/Turn-Lock-Bag-Clasp-Antique-Brass-Finish-1307-00.jpg-250x

I think that's approvable, and it's got a nice look to it that seems to fit Star Wars. What do you think?

Last edited by dones (Donald Salsbury) on Tue Apr 24, 2012 8:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
gandalfbmg (Bart German)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dones wrote:
Okay, I believe I now have all the necessary parts for my belt and pouches. I'm going to work on the pouches on my own, but I think I'll need help on the belt. I'll bring it to the work night this Saturday.

I've had a dickens of a time finding a suitable front buckle. I finally settled on using this clasp from Tandy:
[img]http://d6tcb1qb2rg5x.cloudfront.net/services/image.aspx/media/images-product/Turn-Lock-Bag-Clasp-Antique-Brass-Finish-1307-00.jpg-250x[/img]

I think that's approvable, and it's got a nice look to it that seems to fit Star Wars. What do you think?

That image code isn't working right, can you post a link to the item's page maybe?

Dantooine Base: Keeping flyover country Imperial-free since 2007
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
dones (Donald Salsbury)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry. I had noticed that and thought I had changed it to a link. It's now changed in the above post.
dones (Donald Salsbury)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, here is my first completed pouch.
http://instagr.am/p/J-sff8JFNq/
I made it from some scraps of sueded boot leather. I'm pleased with it as a first attempt. I may refine the closure and some back structure, but it's good to start trooping in. I have another smaller leatherette pouch already, so I'm another step closer to my Jedi!
Zazarus (David Scheffner)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've always thought about using that as a front buckle for a jedi but I have never liked the little loop on the one end. Be interested to see how your finished product looks
dones (Donald Salsbury)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The good news is I finished my Jedi belt; the bad news is just that I was too late for the March for Babies troop. Anyway, I'm going to tweak my tabards and submit for formal approval, hopefully today!

Here's a quick photo of my belt and attachments:
http://instagr.am/p/KSggyVpFCS/
SapphireGypsy ()

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The belt turned out great.
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

at like 9:30 it was rainging like made at my place which is not far from the troop, I can't imagine it being that fun. Sad

Belt looks good, real Graflex on the belt? and what is hanging on the right side (your left as you wear it)?
gandalfbmg (Bart German)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zazarus wrote:
at like 9:30 it was rainging like made at my place which is not far from the troop, I can't imagine it being that fun. Sad

Belt looks good, real Graflex on the belt? and what is hanging on the right side (your left as you wear it)?

It's a real graflex... I got to hold it, it's like holding the REAL thing, it's eerie...

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Gius Maximus (Rich Heffernan)
Legion Council
Legion Council

Medals: 2 (View more...)
CVI Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gandalfbmg wrote:
Zazarus wrote:

It's a real graflex... I got to hold it, it's like holding the REAL thing, it's eerie...

Cool, if your interested in converting it to have electronics I can help you out with all that info. I have two vintage ones and a replica version of it. 99% of people can't tell the difference between them usually.
dones (Donald Salsbury)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The other item on the belt is my attempt at a droid caller. It's a little small, but I don't think it looks out of place.

On the Graflex, I probably won't convert it to electronics. I felt bad enough putting a hole in the end for the d-ring! :-) but I do need to get some grips. Bart showed me the customsabershop grips tht he has, and that sold me. I have tried gluing on wiper blades myself, but they just don't stick.
Gius Maximus (Rich Heffernan)
Legion Council
Legion Council

Medals: 2 (View more...)
CVI Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 5:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, Tim's grips on TCSS are curved so they work well. The reason the ESB version has the rivets in the grips is the same problem you ran into with them falling off.
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder how well the gorilla super glue would do on holding those on. I know any glue for that (unless you got some industrial strength thats illegal for private use, LMAO) would eventually come off. So the real question is how long would you get on it.
dones (Donald Salsbury)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, darn.

I submitted my costume for approval after some minor tweaking to the tabards. The costume was rejected, but not for the tabards. It was the outer tunic that was too "gi-like". It took me a bit of searching to find where this was mentioned in the Luke ANH Tatooine standard:

Quote:
This however is the only Jedi/costume that a gi is acceptable in. As it is the only costume that has really ever used a Gi in the movies. A Gi is not acceptable in any other Jedi costume
*Note Gi has NO visible top stitching*

Because my outer tunic has the top stitching on the neckband/lapel, and the side vents near the hips, it was rejected for formal status. So I'm obviously not disputing the decision, but I did suggest they add this specific prohibition to the actual Generic OR / NR Jedi Standards. Hopefully that will save people time and work in going the wrong direction in the first place.

Since my tabards were borderline enough (in my mind, anyway), I'll just scrap them, too, and work on getting enough crinkle fabric to make them and the outer tunic in the same fabric. I'll also make a longer obi in the same fabric so it wraps a little nicer around my waist. I'm out of town over Memorial Day weekend but I'll see if I can start working on this in June to get approval before CVI. I may need some help figuring out how much fabric to get, and if you have a specific SKU for Joann's that you know works well, I will welcome it. Smile
gandalfbmg (Bart German)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't seen a 'crinkle' fabric I liked at Joann's in... well, never. It's all just gauze, way too thin and see-through in my opinion. I suppose someone more talented than I could make it with a lining to get around that and still have it look good, but I wouldn't want to try it personally. The crinkle fabric I have I found at a Wal Mart in Cheyenne, WY just by pure luck. I bought what was left on the bolt they had, and I've never been able to find it again anywhere since (and no there's not enough left for another costume... I need to remake my sleeves longer and I MIGHT have just enough left to do that Smile ... )

Maybe someone else out here has had better luck finding it than I have...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Rebel Bases N. America -> Dantooine Base All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: