About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=91990c386fe7de2dd1cfc2930f549af5Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Ep. II, Padme battle outfit
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Padme
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RebelSenator (Raychel Enck)
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

Medals: None

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for posting the link Very Happy . Here's a snag it of the pattern/drawing found there:

I looked through a lot of pics of this costume (mostly on padawans guide). I interpret the picture below in this way..the front left hand side of the cape is draping down over her right shoulder. If this is the case, how does the pattern above account for that?? I can see that the pattern is wider on one side but I don't think that will wrap around correctly?? and be long enough like hers is in this photo. Maybe I'm not thinking of it in the right way. I'm really not much of a seamstress so I may not understand something especially since there aren't measurements dunno . This is costume I troop in more than convention in so it's important to me that it's functional. Something that drove me crazy shoot me with my earlier version of this cape is that the wrap over the shoulder wasn't long enough to stay in place when hunching down for photos with kiddos. I made it a lot longer this time and tacked down in several places but I'd love Very Happy to hear some ideas on how to keep everything in place.

MidSouth Garrison, Public Relations Officer
http://www.facebook.com/LCJedi
Mosi ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 3:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alrighty! I finally got off my butt and developed accurately sized pouches, with a bonus...you can store some small items in the two larger ones. These are the prototypes and will look a bit prettier in a day or two.

I will take a pic of them on the belt tomorrow for size reference.

They are cast out of resin, and the lids are held on with magnets. I decided against a hinge system since the flap will keep you from easily dropping things in the pouch. I will probably attach a small tether to help protect against butter finger moments.

I will probably be ready to offer these in a week or two, and will put them in the For Sale section at that time. If you are curious what the pricing will be, shoot me a PM. They will come sanded, painted, leather belt loops attached, and magnets installed.

Princess Sandy ()
Legion XO
Legion XO

Medals: 2 (View more...)
CVI Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's awesome!!!
www.facebook.com/PrincessSandy41280
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Princess Sandy ()
Legion XO
Legion XO

Medals: 2 (View more...)
Gold Star (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RebelSenator wrote:
Thanks for posting the link Very Happy . Here's a snag it of the pattern/drawing found there:

I looked through a lot of pics of this costume (mostly on padawans guide). I interpret the picture below in this way..the front left hand side of the cape is draping down over her right shoulder. If this is the case, how does the pattern above account for that?? I can see that the pattern is wider on one side but I don't think that will wrap around correctly?? and be long enough like hers is in this photo. Maybe I'm not thinking of it in the right way. I'm really not much of a seamstress so I may not understand something especially since there aren't measurements dunno . This is costume I troop in more than convention in so it's important to me that it's functional. Something that drove me crazy shoot me with my earlier version of this cape is that the wrap over the shoulder wasn't long enough to stay in place when hunching down for photos with kiddos. I made it a lot longer this time and tacked down in several places but I'd love Very Happy to hear some ideas on how to keep everything in place.

I will be doing this version of the costume soon, and I have the same questions as well.
www.facebook.com/PrincessSandy41280
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
kathgruben ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am presently working on this costume too and it is deceptively difficult to replicate! This cape is another example of this, and I have given a fair bit of thought as to how it's constructed as I only have a small amount of fabric to work with.

Personally, the drawing from padawansguide shown above doesn't look quite right to me. It's rather like a poncho (just shorter in the front), whereas I think the movie one is more of a combination cape/wrap type of thing. Something more like this (sorry for the bad drawing):

If you look closely at some of the exhibit pics on padawansguide you can see the U shape around the back of the neck:

And you can even see in that pic a snap sewn on the back on the left side that was used to keep everything in place, maybe for the hat piece? I believe one of the "tails", if you will, is tucked underneath on one side (probably snapped into place too), with the other tail left to hang over the shoulder and down the back (more snaps probably), as shown in Raychel’s pic below:

Mosi ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some shots of them strapped up. I need to drop the tall pouch down a bit.

We are trooping tomorrow and will snag some shots with the full costume.

Detachment CO
Detachment CO

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kathgruben
Thanks so much for posting the exhibit photo. I've never seen that before and it's extrememly helpful. I understand that pattern a little more now. And seeing this prompts me to add snaps to my cape to hold it in place.
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mosi wrote:
They are cast out of resin, and the lids are held on with magnets. I decided against a hinge system since the flap will keep you from easily dropping things in the pouch. I will probably attach a small tether to help protect against butter finger moments.

Fist off, these are the bomb or as the kids are saying these days "the boom".
Second off, I'm going to start saving my pennies for these.
Third, a question. What type of magnets are you using? Are they rare earth?
Mosi ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RebelSenator wrote:
Mosi wrote:

Fist off, these are the bomb or as the kids are saying these days "the boom".
Second off, I'm going to start saving my pennies for these.
Third, a question. What type of magnets are you using? Are they rare earth?

Thank you! Yes, they are rare earth magnets. My wife trooped with them today and they worked pretty well, and the lids stayed put.
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, my husband uses rare earth magnets to hold the front and back of his clone trooper bucket together. They're really really strong magnets.
A fun fact is that a parent group was trying to get them banned in the US because some *brilliant* children were using them as tongue rings by placing a magnet on top of the tongue and then one on the bottom. They would swallow one by mistake and before it had passed through their system, they would accidentally swallow another one. The magnets would then come together in the digestive track pinching it off and requiring surgery.
PilotPadme ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mosi wrote:

Looking at the scratches on my phone and the crack in my iPad....I definitely need a "butterfingers" tether. Embarassed
sarah_d (sarah drummond)
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

Medals: 1 (View more...)
2013 Christmas Toys for Tots Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi everyone Very Happy

I'm Sarah, i'm making this costume too (my first costume) and have a question about the cape fabric. I have this one -

and today i found this - material 2 -

Any advice and help greatly appreciated! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
adi gallia (chantal freeman)
Active Legion Member

Bronze Medal (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smile I would stick with the Laura Ashley waffle blanket
if I was doing this costume again

Elstree Base BMO
1138th Krayt Squadron......Krayt 11
Rouge Squadron......black velvet 36
RL costumer of the year 2012
sarah_d (sarah drummond)
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

2013 Christmas Toys for Tots Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Chantal! Very Happy
Mosi ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay! I'm ready to go with these! I updated my ongoing run thread in the FS section. If you don't have access to that area, PM me for pricing.

The quarter is for size reference and is not included Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Padme All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 8 of 10

Jump to: