About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=c2d0660a629c28963fc26b229319ee80Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Looking for C3P0 costume and remote control R2D2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Droids
View previous topic :: View next topic  
InsidiousJester (Jeremy Hester)
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 12:40 am    Post subject: Looking for C3P0 costume and remote control R2D2 Reply with quote

So in a few months I will be out of basic and into my new carreer. To celebrate, I am going to be looking for a C3P0 costume I can buy with little assembly required. I will also be looking for a remote controled R2d2 unit I can build from a kit or buy already built. The cost wont matter to much to me, as long as their really nice. I am planning on using this as my ultimate costume, and will give my handler some fun with the r2d2 droid. Wink please, post anywhere I may find these costumes, or if you make them yourself, please tell me your prices, so I can know how much Ill need to save up.
Thankyou All!
GotWookiee (Matt Pfingsten)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless someone is selling their finished suit on eBay, finding ANY costume close to "ready to wear" is virtually impossible. Most members of this club (and the 501st) have a few kit parts but have built significant parts of their costume themselves and any kits are finished and assembled by those who buy them.

Very little is available with no assembly required.

While there are people out there who have bought everything ready to wear, usually they hire someone to do all of the work (or several people) to the tune of several thousand dollars. People have been known to spend more than a thousand dollars on Anakin or Obi-Wan costumes when they have professionals do the work for them. I can't even imagine what a ready to wear Threepio would cost.

The Artoo Builder's Club always emphasizes the word "Builder" in their club's name because they get requests like yours often. Although most Artoo's are built from kit parts, it takes about 3 years to get all of the parts together even if you have limitless funds. Parts are done in runs and you must wait for a run to happen in order to get a part. It's not like going to Wal-Mart; it's not available all the time and there is no one person that sells the whole thing.

Threepio is much the same. You won't get the parts for the whole suit from one person. Different people do different parts. It's been years since I did any research on this costume but back then I was told Threepio armor was somewhere in the neighborhood of $1500-$2500. I know that getting it vacuum-metalized is another grand easy. Lots of work needed to finish that suit. Lots of sanding, buffing, polishing before you are ready to chrome. The elbows and knees have complex mechanical joints in them with working pistons. Threepio, Chewie, and Boba Fett are frequently listed as the toughest costumes you can make. So I would imagine the price for someone to build a Threepio costume for you would be quite high; $5000 would probably be on the low side. No joke.

Occasionally people who have built costumes of one sort or another will sell them. Sometimes it's to make room/fund purchases of other costumes, sometimes its to pay the bills when times are tough. It's still pretty rare, and few who do so use eBay. Most will sell to other members on private forums. Most of the costume stuff on eBay is crap anyway.

Common costumes like Jedi Knights, Stormtroopers, Vader's, etc. are easy to pick up second-hand because so many people have done that and at least a few of those people want or need to sell their costumes for one reason or another. On other hand, only about a dozen Threepio's have ever been built and most will likely be buried in their suits after all the blood, sweat, and tears poured into the build.

Your best bet to get into this hobby is to contact your local base/garrison and start meeting people. Specifically, volunteer to help out at events as a handler. Many bases/garrisons host "costume workshops" "prop parties" or "armor parties" where someone with some space will invite others over to their house on a Saturday or Sunday and they'll build costumes. I myself am hosting a prop party next weekend in Nashville, TN and several others in my base/garrison are doing the same over the course of the summer.
Since these are hosted at someone's home, most will be reluctant to invite a stranger from the internet over. So your best bet is to get to know the local group first.
Where are you from?

Here are some helpful links:
Artoo Builder's Club
C-3PO Builder's forum/site
Waldo's C-3PO Build
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Currently I am in Germany, but in less than a month I will be in Texas for BMT, then probably missisipi or texas. When I go to get my next costume, I really dont know where I will be. Ive been with a couple groups here as handler, and have been to a few armor parties. I don't mind putting the work into the costume, Im just always nervous Im gonna mess it up. :/ The R2 i figured I was gonna have to build, I was just gonna see if they had any prebuilt ones for sale
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We're all afraid of messing things up, but if you let that stop you then you'll never learn anything.

Start off with something simple and then work on your rockstar costume. Have another costume to regularly troop in will provide much needed inspiration. When I was still trooping as a Jedi while working on my Chewie,i used to imagine washer it would be like to troop as Chewie. now I'm working on a new chewie, and regularly trooping in my current chewie provides me with inspiration to finish my new suit.
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im currently finishing up my jedi, my robes and stuff should be in within a couple days. I have armor i have been working on for the jedi too. its been nerve racking hopeing i dont mess up :p
DroidWelder ()

Medals: 2 (View more...)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As mentioned, The R2 Builders club often gets request to sell completed droids, and such a request on the forums usually gets the person asking a lot of heat for doing so. The only time there will be a complete or near complete droid posted for sale is when the owner is having financial hardship.
There are other online vendors that advertise such things, but you will be very disappointed in what you actually get, that's if you get it at all.
Most of the dealers for such items offer pure junk and often never deliver.

It's now possible to build a nearly complete astromech in about 6 months or less out of HIPs styrene. There are plans and instructions posted in the Yahoo group files, and this method has become a very popular one given that it's a lower cost alternative to building a droid.

It's also best to build it yourself so that you know how to repair, maintain, and upgrade it yourself.

David L.
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

David, how well do those Styrene droids hold up? I was with Chris Lee at a local event the other day and a new Artoo builder in our area and he were discussing someone had built a plastic droid but it was for display only and was not used for trooping.

Very curious about those HIPS droids. Doesn't that stand for High Impact Polystyrene?
DroidWelder ()

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, that is correct! The styrene sheet is cut and laminated to form thick structural pieces. I have not tried this method myself, but I hear that the components are pretty solid if built correctly. I have heard of a couple reports where the styrene droids received some damage, but it was not very difficult to repair.

These droids are very light weight and one concern that I have is tipping over if they hit a large sidewalk crack or something similar. I see that as a potential problem.

There is a local member here that just finished his and is starting to do events, so we'll see how well his droid holds up to all of the grabbing, pulling, poking, ect.. that kids (and sometimes adults) will do.

David L.
Lonescout (Angelo Marcano)
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

Medals: 3 (View more...)
Rebel Legion CV Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have several of these built in FL and if thier built correctly they are solid. These are fully operational and are present at troops.

Former BSN Admid.
CLWTUSKEN ()

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 3:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think a plastic droid is like a fiberglass 32 Ford. Basically it's cheating. BTW, someone just sold a nice complete working R5-D4 for $4000. It lasted 5 hours at that price and the seller had more than one buyer lined up for it. Building a real metal working droids takes massive effort, time and money. I have 3 astromech's, 2 are in build status and have been sitting around for years as I dont have the time to commit to doing them. I'll get to them one day though. I build stuff and buy stuff already made too but prepare to shell out some cash for quality and if it's even close to a good price you will need to act fast.
DroidWelder ()

Droid Wranglers (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 2:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CLWTUSKEN wrote:
I think a plastic droid is like a fiberglass 32 Ford. Basically it's cheating.

So then it's cheating by the 501st not forging the armor from something more substantial than ABS plastic!

David L.
Tag Aldeggon ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 2:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it looks good and works right, who cares what it's made of? lol

... and even if you succeed, it's a hard life."
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Droids All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: