Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=c22452e1f5320cdaaf6935e377adff69Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Rebel Crew Question
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Alliance Infantry Detachment -> A New Hope
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PrimitiveTodd ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 4:42 pm    Post subject: Rebel Crew Question Reply with quote

Has anyone tried to re-create this costume? I don't even know how to classify it...Rebel Officer, Rebel Crew, NCO??? http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20120115021241/starwars/images/thumb/5/50/Unknown_rebel_aide.jpg/667px-Unknown_rebel_aide.jpg
pico (Joe Cygan)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe that is a gunner if I'm not mistaken.
Blue Banshee Leader (Alex Buirch)
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen that character called a "Rebel Fleet Controller", though I'm not sure if that title stuck.

There are a few of them wandering around the briefing room scene and the hangar seen that follows in "Return of the Jedi".

Here's another picture (possibly with a different top)...

B-wing Pilot - Anomid Jedi

-My Homepage-
-Cosplay.com Profile-
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
DL (Johan Hanson)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The tip of the microphone looks like the same as the one that is attached to the Y-wing helmet. Unfortunately, the boom is attached directly to the helmet and there are no other parts of the head set, from what I can see.

BTW, I am sure that I have seen that actress before...
PrimitiveTodd ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blue Banshee Leader wrote:
I've seen that character called a "Rebel Fleet Controller", though I'm not sure if that title stuck.

There are a few of them wandering around the briefing room scene and the hangar seen that follows in "Return of the Jedi".

Here's another picture (possibly with a different top)...

Yes, you can see multiple of this outfit in the briefing and hangar throughout ROTJ. I was thinking of trying to work with this as a potential costume, but don't know where it fits in...troopers or officers (some are said to be officers and engineers and actually in some stillscreen images I think a few are wearing officer badges)???
pico (Joe Cygan)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats an interesting one. At first I thought it was a full coverall, but you can see the zipper/button flaps open on opposite sides. The pockets are just turned down at the side hem on the pants. The collar and cuffs look like they may be done similarly to the ones on the pilots. But, cant see the closures in these. A few blu ray captures should solve that question.

The ammo box is a pretty common style. the radio box is pretty simple.

Looks like one chord just goes into the pocket? Then ends in something that almost looks like an iPod connector painted black, just a little longer on the radio box?

Does the badge chord just go into the ammo box?
PrimitiveTodd ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pico wrote:
Thats an interesting one. At first I thought it was a full coverall, but you can see the zipper/button flaps open on opposite sides. The pockets are just turned down at the side hem on the pants. The collar and cuffs look like they may be done similarly to the ones on the pilots. But, cant see the closures in these. A few blu ray captures should solve that question.

The ammo box is a pretty common style. the radio box is pretty simple.

Looks like one chord just goes into the pocket? Then ends in something that almost looks like an iPod connector painted black, just a little longer on the radio box?

Does the badge chord just go into the ammo box?

Actually Pico, I think in a few cases it might be a full coverall but in most of the screen captures I have done, I think it is a jacket and matching bdus. If I could figure out how to upload a photo I could show you...aaaggghhh...In most cases I have been able to examine, the headphone cord appears to attach to what looks like a rank badge and to either the comm box(?) or into the pocket. There is a fairly detailed image of this style female uniforms here (third image under "briefing) http://www.studiocreations.com/howto/endorrebelsoldier/index.html. This also shows a difference in caps (female vs. male). The other difference I have found, but not shown on that image is I think the females are wearing more dress-like (formal) non-bdu slacks, whereas the aid (male S'too Vees) is wearing pocketed bdus.
Obey Wann (William Blackburn)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Colorado Wildfires 2012 Relief Award (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One minor warning: If you are going to do a very minor background character, expect no one, not even most serious fans, to know who you are. You will spend 90% of your time explaining to folks who you are, and that yes, indeed, you are a Star Wars character.

This gets old. Fast.

It is fine to do a costume like that for a con like C-6, but honestly, I don't think you'll get your money's worth out of doing it for a weekly/monthly trooping costume.

Especially if this is your first costume, go with something simple and easily recognizeable from the Original Trilogy. Any of the Trooper costumes will do, but the RFT is a great start, especially with the DH-17 sitting on the shelves at Target and Wal Mart. The HRT and ERT take a bit more work, but they get more love from the public. (Actually, I think my Hoth Trench Trooper got the most love of all three costumes)

I'm not knocking the background characters, but I have seen how frustrating it gets when you are in a costume that no one knows who you are. And I have seen how much love recognizeable characters get.

Just food for thought. Cool

PrimitiveTodd ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't committed to doing this character at all. I am just interested in different costumes used and differences/similarities between some of them. I am actually finishing RTF and a Ground Crew characters right now. Should be done soon. I do know what you mean about people asking who you are (I have an Imperial outfit as well and many people think I am a cop or ???)! Input appreciated!
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool Cool, I'm glad you understand. I'm not trying to be a jerk or anything. I saw it with my Imperial Crew costume. Not so much love. Then I got the Imperial Navy helmet for it --instant love.

Good luck with the builds. RFT was my first RL/501st costume. It's a fun one, especially if there are multiple RFTs around.

PrimitiveTodd ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Obey Wann wrote:
Cool Cool, I'm glad you understand. I'm not trying to be a jerk or anything. I saw it with my Imperial Crew costume. Not so much love. Then I got the Imperial Navy helmet for it --instant love.

Good luck with the builds. RFT was my first RL/501st costume. It's a fun one, especially if there are multiple RFTs around.

Funny you mention the IC costume, that is the one I have now...maybe I should just get a cockroach helmet and all my unknown status will go away! No, probably not Rolling Eyes
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, yes you do want one:

pico (Joe Cygan)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Obey Wann wrote:
One minor warning: If you are going to do a very minor background character, expect no one, not even most serious fans, to know who you are. You will spend 90% of your time explaining to folks who you are, and that yes, indeed, you are a Star Wars character.

This gets old. Fast.

lol. I went over to the Flagship Eclipse detachment (501st's EU costumes) and actually asked them why doing a more obscure costume is appealing as your only costume.

1. Never call these costumes obscure. ouch.
2. They see people wondering what they are as a big plus and a conversation starter, not a draw back.

I'm with you, I'd rather be recognized, at least by Star Wars fans. But, I learned a lot from them and about the opposite way of seeing this particular issue.

(and, my next build is actually the Imperial Navy Troop, goes nice with my current RFT project)

Back on the original topic. The references seem to show females in the brimless cap and males with a brim on the cap. Any sources show otherwise?
PrimitiveTodd ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't know...I can find only a few images of the female crew. There is one female crew in the hangar as well and she also appear to be wearing a brimless cap.
PrimitiveTodd ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Obey Wann wrote:
Yes, yes you do want one:

Actually, I saw your post on the IOC board about cockroach helmets for sale (at least I think it was yours...) and that will likely be my next investment when I have some cash! I have an IC right now and would just need the helmet and gloves.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Alliance Infantry Detachment -> A New Hope All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: