About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=97b3b77703d6a4faa81b16646a1e4f0aMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Return Of TheEviltwin

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Han Solo and Other Smugglers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
theeviltwin ()
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebels 4 Japan (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 10:24 pm    Post subject: Return Of TheEviltwin Reply with quote

Hello,

I'm really pleased that my ROTJ Han has been cleared (very efficiently and quickly thanks) which means I have completed the trilogy!

Here's a few pics to show off:

As always there are a couple of things I'd do different if I did it again. But there are three key parts I'm particularly pleased with:

The vest - I actually bought almost 15 years ago! I mail ordered it (yes this was even before internet shopping existed!) as well as a few other treasures from the original Jawa Trader section of the Star Wars Insider magazine. As has previously been discussed, it seems spot on with detail and is well made. I bought it as it is Han Solo's vest and therefore cool! I did indeed wear it a few times before being distracted by real life. It has been safely stored waiting for over a decade for its moment of glory which has finally come!

The ROTJ DL44 was especially tricky to put together but I'm really pleased with how it turned out. The main body started off as a Doopydoos ESB resin blaster from his first batch (the current one he sells is a newer even more ESB accurate version) bought ready made. I'm a big fan of Doopydoos DL44s. While I prefer the realism of metal and other more "realistic" material built blasters for my prop collection, for trooping purposes the high quality, very accurate and crisp Doopydoos resin are definitely my choice. Unfortunately they don't do the ROTJ DL44. So I stripped the scope mount (and scope) and the piston halves off very carefully and cleanly. The flash hider I had to hack off with a dremel, trimming it down to a barrel. I bought an old semi accurate Denix based ROTJ DL44 that was looking a bit tired from a friend and used it for parts (the scope and mount, more piston halves and the square greeblie) which I cleaned up a little. I assembled the components then gave it a nice new paint job and varnish. I finished it with a machined ROTJ flash hider another friend had spare from a random purchase years ago. Apart from a couple of scope mount screws, that flash hider is the only non-resin component in all three movie versions of my trooping DL44s. But out of all three movies it is the ROTJ flash hider that really shines stand out noticeably so the unweathered machined aluminum suits it well.

My absolute favorite bit of the costume is the trench coat. Like the original it is made out of two identical lab coats. The first thing I did was carefully remove the top pocket then both parts of all the stud fasteners. Then my mum used the parts of one coat to extend the other (mums are the best!) down to the ankle. My mum knows how to sow and she did a first class job. In fact she did such a good job that I was really nervous about ruining by botching the paint job. It is a nightmare trying to judge the colours and patterns due to the limited screen time and references. Also the colour is always distorted by the green and brown reflected and filtered light from the forest foliage. I was very concerned that in the uninfluenced light of convention and general trooping locations and under camera flashes the original white would show through in the more lightly painted areas. So the first thing I did was use a pebble beige dye to take the coat from bright white to a very light off white / beige (very similar to my off white Magnoli ANH Han shirt color). This was a a really successful start that has ultimately really paid off. Next I wrapped my brother in plastic dust sheeting and made him wear the duster while I followed BrieKalan's painting tutorial. I focused more on the brown and it blended really well with the dyed base color to give that Han Endor brown camo. I was really nervous about painting it a first but my confidence quickly grew. I'm so pleased with the final result.

ANH Han will always be my favorite costume for several reasons. But I'm surprised with just how much I already like the ROTJ version - it's definitely my second favorite Han costume. It also has a lot of personal touches and history which makes it that much more special.

As with all my Han costumes it was the extensive high quality information found on these boards that was key to its build - thanks very much everyone for the help.

Cheers.
Greg
adi gallia (chantal freeman)
Active Legion Member

Bronze Medal (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy great work Greg
well done on your costume clearence
Dance Chewie Very Happy

Elstree Base BMO
1138th Krayt Squadron......Krayt 11
Rouge Squadron......black velvet 36
RL costumer of the year 2012
jedimika ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: 5 (View more...)
CVI Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent!
Really love the trench coat. Your pictures also demonstrate how different the color can be with different lighting.
Great job on everything.
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 4:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done! Congratulations on completing the trilogy...
Bonded Hawk ()

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everything looks great. I really like the duster.

BH
Nikkos Khann (Conley Nichols)
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

Medals: 3 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 2)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations! I am jealous..... Evil or Very Mad

'I've got a bad feeling about this!'
Docking Bay 94 Commanding Officer 2011-2014
Comlink Admin - Fringe LCJ,
Charter Committee
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Anduril ()
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The duster came out really nicely! Congrats Very Happy

Check out my Facebook page at: https://www.facebook.com/needleandblade
STAR-WARS-FREAK-JPB (JEFFREY BUHOLTZ)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 2:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SUPER COOL!!!! Great Jacket
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks very much for the comments.

The duster is my favorite bit too.

As long as you have the sowing skill (or a mum with the skill) to sow straight lines it is amazing how easy to make, relatively cheap and easy to source it is. I would have done a proper build post for it but it really was just:
Take two identical white lab coats (big enough to fit coat like over the vest) that have the split at the bottom.
Unpick the top pocket and fasteners from the main one you are going to extend.
Unpick the seams on the "donor" coat and use the pieces / material panels to extend the length of the main coat. My mum went the professional route and unpicked then re-hemmed the entire outer edge of the fully extended coat so it kept the original, consistent straight outer edge. The original coat widened slightly was it went down so would have kinked slightly back at the extension join back in otherwise.
I then chose to dye the full duster off white using a dye you put in the washing machine with salt and run it through a few cycles.
Finally I followed the painting guide already out there.

The whole thing cost less than $70. It only cost that much because I had to buy the paints at twice the price off the internet as there were no local shops anywhere near that sold them.

So if you thinking about doing a Han ROTJ costume or already have one but don't have the trench coat / duster, I highly recommend giving it a go.

Cheers.
Greg
STAR-WARS-FREAK-JPB (JEFFREY BUHOLTZ)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah mine is built with 2 lab coats as well. Someday I will be making one from scratch and doing a better paint job with the floral design stuff. I have to get a machine and learn first though.

Did you dye the white coat a beige or tan sort of color first and then spray on the camo?
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

STAR-WARS-FREAK-JPB wrote:
Yeah mine is built with 2 lab coats as well. Someday I will be making one from scratch and doing a better paint job with the floral design stuff. I have to get a machine and learn first though.

Did you dye the white coat a beige or tan sort of color first and then spray on the camo?

I actually used your coat as a guide because I liked it do much.
The original colour of my lab coats was such a brilliant white that I was concerned it would reflect pure white in artificial light, photos and flashes where the paint was thin. So I used a pebble beige dye which I didn't think was going to strongly colour the white coat. It just made it off white and took away the brilliance. Very subtle changes which could make all the difference in the kinds of environments where it is going to be trooped in. There may be better methods and it if the resulting dye colour was a bit darker it wouldn't have spoiled it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Han Solo and Other Smugglers All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: