About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=130031a51813efbbae0dd1e220503d26Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Would these boots pass formal/canon?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Pilots
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bigironvault ()

Medals: None

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 12:22 pm    Post subject: Would these boots pass formal/canon? Reply with quote

Hi all, I'm working with my sister on her costume and we're trying to find a cheaper alternative to German Jack Boots. Would these boots pass formal/canon for a X-wing Pilot?

http://www.applesaddlery.com/p-1370-womens-cadett-boots.aspx

They are not real leather.
Jedi of Poker (Tim {T.J.} Balski)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
CVI Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm no pilot judge, but I'd have to say no to those (they're too tall).

The CRL calls for mid-calf length boots (@ 11-13 inch height).

For @ the same amount of money, you should be able to hunt down a pair of real-leather 11-13 inch tall engineer boots. The better quality boots will feature Goodyear welt construction which makes them waterproof. All you need to do is cut off the ankle strap and they're good to go (you can overachieve by painting the top buckle in a few coats of black enamel... but that's not a requirement).

Engineer boots of this size are very cross-costume compatible; they're also applicable for RFT and Imperial Crewman/TIE pilots on the other side...
Bushwhacker extraordinaire/Squad Leader
Phoenix 7

"Flattery will get you nowhere, but {for the sake of my fragile ego} please don't stop trying..."
bigironvault ()

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi thanks - do you mind PM me a link to one of those?
Jedi of Poker (Tim {T.J.} Balski)
Active Legion Member

CVI Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I need to make a correction: that price point more closely resembles the used and vintage market. For band-new ones direct from retailers, be prepared to spend @ $150...

These are most likely not your size, but they clearly represent the boot you should be looking for (I bought used ones exactly like these!!). This link in particular has really good close-ups of the product- a great reference:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vtg-Mens-Engineer-Black-Leather-BELTED-Harness-Motorcycle-Riding-Biker-Boots-8-/330708253042?pt=US_Men_s_Shoes&hash=item4cffbf7972

New ones can be found for a slightly higher price. From this particular link, avoid the Maddens w/ the outer zipper. Repeat aftert me: NO ZIPPERS!!! 'nuff said...
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?LH_ItemCondition=1000%7C1500&_sop=15&_sacat=93427&_nkw=engineer%20boots&_pppn=r1&_dcat=11498
Bushwhacker extraordinaire/Squad Leader
Phoenix 7

"Flattery will get you nowhere, but {for the sake of my fragile ego} please don't stop trying..."
bigironvault ()

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found these via Mike (miqt - thanks bro!)

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/GERMAN-ARMY-BLACK-LEATHER-JACK-BOOTS-UK-SIZE-6-/360401424889?pt=UK_Collectables_Militaria_LE&hash=item53e99951f9

but my sister is wondering if there are any alternatives as shipping is right brutal for that item. But they DO look the best imho. She was also hoping for something that she can actually wear outdoors someday.
Kotobuki ()

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 5:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

These are the guys I bought my boots from. They were a little beat up as they were previously issued surplus boots. They have a limited selection of sizes at any given time, so if you've got time you can keep an eye out.

Here's a link for un-issued surplus boots.
http://www.eastmeetswestmilitaria.com/German-Military-Unissued-Enlisted-Combat-Boots_p_59.html

And here's some Issued boots (so they'll be a little rough) in some larger sizes.
http://www.eastmeetswestmilitaria.com/German-Military-Used-Enlisted-Combat-Boots-LARGE_p_60.html

The grain on the leather isn't as bad as it seems in the photos. Keep in mind (especially the used ones) they may need some cleaning and conditioning before wearing.

This is an old thread of mine that I used to track my progress in costume building. You can see pictures of my issued boots when I received them, and how they looked after I cleaned, conditioned, and shined them. They're still rough, but I think they'll pass for Rebel equipment. For a better funded force like the Imperials, they probably wouldn't fly.

Keep in mind that the sizes are APPROXIMATE US Men's sizes. These boots are foreign made, and foreign issued and are NOT sized by the manufacturer in the US system.

Also, keep an eye on eBay in general. I've seen the appropriate actual leather boots come up for as little as $45 shipped, depending on the size you need.
bigironvault ()

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! I'm looking for my sister so it looks like they have her size ~US 6.0. But it doesn't seem like they ship to Canada. I'm trying to find out.
HazardThree (Jon Paulson)
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, Pilot judge here ... just letting you know that the advice you're getting here is spot on. Those boots in your first post do look (a) too tall, and (b) more rubbery than leathery.

As for not shipping to Canada, try to have it go to a RL member close on this side of the border and then have them ship it to you. Might be worth it depending on the costs.

JediXXL (Gil Guemes)
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have an Army/Navy store in Buffalo that has had Jack Boots in the smaller sizes cheap. PM Sent.

DXO • RLSC

There is NO Orange Mafia
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
bigironvault ()

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks bro got your PM, would appreciate your help. It's tough to find jack boots or something similar that would work for a girl that wears women's size 6.5 ... I think that is like Mens 4.5 or something like that. Smile
JediXXL (Gil Guemes)
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I called them and they didn't have any in stock at the moment, but it's the same Army/Navy store that's in Toronto.

They may have something up there since it's the same owners, or they may be able to get it from another store...

http://www.armynavydeals.com/asp/

DXO • RLSC

There is NO Orange Mafia
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Pilots All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: