About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=cc745973a8b991289f8bf2017baa6c71Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Episode 3 Senator Mon Mothma
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Old Republic Senators and Royalty
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jedibarriss ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebel Legion CV Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 8:42 pm    Post subject: Episode 3 Senator Mon Mothma Reply with quote

I have been looking for an appropriate fabric for the 'felted wool' version of this costume as pictured in the Dressing the Galaxy. I have so far found nothing I like so per my usual approach, decided to try and make something similar.

I found a chemical way to make the circles in a wool/rayon blend. I am in the testing process and this is getting pretty close. I am testing on 8x10 pieces. It will take a lot of time to do each piece because of the process so I want to pass it by here before I put in all the weeks it will need.

Comments?

this is a zoomed in of the screen version( even though it was cut from the movie)

this is my third trial version

Mieal Deneb (Rachel Orange)
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

Droid Wranglers (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, that's fabulous! I don't think anyone would be able to find anything closer to what you're doing. I'm interested to know how you're accomplishing that?!

jedibarriss ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried my third test and am ready to actually begin. I do need to know from costume panel if this is going to be an acceptable fabric option. I know that the standards say white or winter white but if I can find a color that matches closer then I will do it. My other Mon Mothma from ep6 is closer to the Natural wool color which I think they used for the costume.
This is pretty time consuming process.

Fabric sample hanging over chair

Fabric sample laying on beige countertop

Mieal Deneb (Rachel Orange)
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

Droid Wranglers (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd say it would work as long as it's not going to fall apart on you.

jedibarriss ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is pretty strong. I tugged at it in all directions. It will have to be dry cleaned or washed gently so as not to shrink since it is 35% wool.
Mara Skywalker (Anna)
Nordic Base CO
Nordic Base CO

Medals: None

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that looks amazing! How are you doing that??

Mynocks deliver Babies
Lora Skywalker ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice! I think it will look amazing in the costume. Amadalia

http://headoftheclones.proboards59.com/index.cgi -if you like FF of the crazy kind. Wink Clone Leader
jedibarriss ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I started with the sleeves today. They are drying now and when process is complete I will post a pic of the sleeves, not assembled. I am doing each piece of the dress before assembly just in case a piece needs redoing. i am using the same fabric for the tabbard but backing it with some rigid material. I already have the broaches and necklaces since I use them for my Ep6 Mon Mothma. I noticed there is only one chain and not three on the pendant.
jedibarriss ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 1:18 pm    Post subject: Sleeves Reply with quote

The sleeves are ready for sewing. I had to block them a bit because of the wool and don't want them shrinking. I cut them longer so as to allow the fullness at the puffed end so hopefully they will still be long enough. The 'rings' are three different sizes as it is in the original. I thought at first they were all the same but examining it carefully shows various sizes and various degrees of openness in their centers.
I will assemble the dress after all the parts are done.

Bossi (Michaela Mackova)
Active Legion Member

Bronze Medal (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, the fabric looks great! Really nice find! Hope it will work. Good luck with sewing!

"I'll be honest with you Bob. My name is not Kirk. It's Skywalker, Luke Skywalker." - Jack O'Neill in 1969
Princess Sandy ()
Legion XO
Legion XO

Medals: 2 (View more...)
CVI Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks great!
www.facebook.com/PrincessSandy41280
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
jedibarriss ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks ladies. I am making the fabric design by 'burning' it. It is a long process and when I am done, I will offer a write up of how to do it.
Ladyghost4459 (Denise Cowles)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great work. Are you going to flat line that over another fabric? That should give it all the strength you need to keep it together...and sadly yes, no matter what you do....dry cleaning will be the only way to clean such a delicate fabric.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
jedibarriss ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The fabric is actually pretty strong even after burning. It can't be pulled apart when tugged on. There is 35% wool and the rayon is burnt out, but not all the rayon.
I am going to see how it looks and will probably use a light lining under it as it seems to have in the original photos when zoomed in. My goal is to have it done and approved for the last weekend of Disney SWW June 8,9,10. If not then I am signed up to do first and last weekend as ep6 MM. We are going on vacation for a couple of weeks so won't be working on it until beginning of May and that gives me two weeks before I need to submit pics for parade so I will be busy when I get back. Today I am working on the tabbard. I checked out some pictures at Padawan's Guide on this and one that Kd posted shows that the tabbard on the shoulder seems to be overlapped front to back and not have a seam on it. I think it is the right shoulder. I am going to ask her if it is ok to use that image as a detail reference as I am considering doing it that way.

Here is the image from Padawan's Guide that Kathy took at the exhibit showing the front overlapping the back.

Thanks for your input folks..it is appreciated.
jedibarriss ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the tunic assembled but collar not attached. I am not sure what to use for the 'lace' or embroidery on the tunic. I see that one person used some lace so I guess that is an option if i can find double sided lace of appropriate design.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Old Republic Senators and Royalty All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: