About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=9f96c85c925429b4adf976ac240829cdMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

I'm new here - working on a NR Jedi
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Rebel Bases N. America -> Dantooine Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dones (Donald Salsbury)
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 8:46 pm    Post subject: I'm new here - working on a NR Jedi Reply with quote

I thought I'd introduce myself after speaking with a couple of you yesterday at Planet Comicon. My name is Donald and I'm from Gardner, KS. I was one of the dads running around with a 3-year-old Darth Vader, who thoroughly geeks out at all the Star Wars costumes. I know I spoke with Bart, but I'm sorry I didn't get everyone else's name.

I've seen the RL at March for Babies and Boo at the Zoo before now (I was also at CIII in Indianapolis, but not sure if anyone was there from this base). I've finally got up the courage to refine my Jedi costume to become a member. So I thought I'd share what I have so far, and open it up to feedback:

Here was my original costume I made for CIII:

That is an undertunic (which has fallen apart and needs to be redone), outer tunic, tabards, obi/sash, pants, and lightsaber hilt. I was fortunate enough to get a Graflex flash handle for a nice price from a photography seller on eBay who didn't know what he had, so aside from a little work on the grips, I'm good to go there.

After that photo, I bought some cheap rubber boots, though I know I need at least pleather boots...I was turned onto Funtasma for a cheap but approvable pair, which I'll order this week. I also have almost all the pieces for a two-piece belt. The way I figure it, for a generic New Republic Jedi, all I'm lacking is the pouches. I have some family with leather tools so I should be set there, though I would like some suggestions on the size and construction of the pouches to make them useful. My pants don't have pockets, so my utility belt will have to be utilized!

I know the tabards look a little big in the above pic, so here is another more recent shot from the waist up (I blurred out the faces of kids at my son's b-day party).

I may need to tweak the tabards a bit to hang right below the waist, what do you think?

My near-term, probably unrealistic goal is to get approval in time so I can join you folks at March for Babies in May. I am trying to decide if I'll be able to make CVI in August; if I attend, it'll be on my own with my son, who'll be 4 at that point. My wife isn't interested in geeing out with us Rolling Eyes So I'm open to discussing a) whether it'd be a good idea to attend solo with a preschooler, and b) how much I'd be able to do for the RL with a kid in tow.

I think that's enough to start some conversation, so I'll leave it at that for now. Talk to you soon!
Gius Maximus (Rich Heffernan)
Legion Council
Legion Council

Medals: 2 (View more...)
Philippines Typhon Relief (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome Donald! I didn't get a chance to talk to you myself, but look forward to having you within our membership in Dantooine Base. Bart is a great resource for you and can help you with any of your needs. We have some folks that know leather as well that can help out. With some diligence I think you could be ready by March for Babies possibly.
Zazarus (David Scheffner)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can chime in on the leather part and building belts. LOL I think I did two jedi belts so far this year. Any questions you might have feel free to ask. You are in the KC area so its not an issue for get together on costuming work. And Welcome to the forums.
gandalfbmg (Bart German)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, I remember talking to you yes. I'm still recovering today so bear with me if I miss some of your questions on the first try.

You're going NR Jedi despite a perfectly accepatable OR Jedi color scheme there? Do you have a D-ring lightsaber instead of a covertech, or want to include a blaster? Those two plus color scheme are ususally the reason people go NR instead of OR. Just want to make sure we konw what you're working toward... It'll go toward what you need for the belt as well, as the formal requirements have you needing some kind of 'extras' (do you have a cloak?)

I would recommend Dave here for the leather belt. He actually did my first belt, and that level of leatherwork I've never really been able to master.

I can help with the tunics and all that, especially if all you need is an undertunic and if you don't mind doing a false undertunic (dickey), those are super easy to whip up in an hour. If you need tabbards and such I've recently whipped out a dickey, tabbards, and obi in about 4 hours Smile

The tabbards might be a little wide yea, but like I said they'd be easy enough to do a set of quickly. Can you maybe take pictures of them and the tunic like they were submission pics, or I guess just bring them sometime...

I'm trying to get 'prop night/armor party' nights going again every few weeks at my house, so we could try and get you at one of those, or maybe just 2-3 of us working sometime. I'm up by the airport, but have a nice little dedicated costume workshop space in the basement.

And I would say, even if you're not yet approved (we don't have a lot of control over that process and the queue for it), a local event like the walk you'd be OK coming out if you're done (or 95% there) and waiting for approval.

And I have some experience in this hobby with kids Smile My three year old we really don't have around much for it yet. She hasn't shown any interest in costumes, and she's still even a bit weired out by some of them. We started though when my son was about 5, and his jedi costume was actually the first we made before we did our own. Jawa is anther way to bring a kid along too, if they go for it...

We were at CIII, as were a lot of KC folks, but there wasn't an active RL presence in KC at the time. That was the time the KC FanForce was just taking off, us and several other people from the 'original' crew actually first met there; some of us have gone on to be part of the group that got the costuming groups more active in KC again (like my wife and Dave here). My son we didn't take until CIV, when he was 6 but he did pretty good then. We're not taking the kids to CVI though, we want to wait until the youngest is older and not just take one; she's just not quite ready for cons yet, not for as long as we stay and as much as we want to do when we go.

Well, if I missed something, let me know.

Dantooine Base: Keeping flyover country Imperial-free since 2007
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
dones (Donald Salsbury)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 'look' I'm going for is sort-of an OR feel but taking advantage of the NR guidelines. My hilt is a D-ring so overall this appears to be the path of least resistance. Sort-of an Obi-Wan after 20 years in hiding on Tatooine kind of mishmash, I guess. I am going to want/need pouches anyway, and have a good source for leather stuff, so this seems like the right direction for now.

I am going to have some help already on the belt and pouches, but let me know if you're going to have a prop/armor party and I'll try to attend and see what we can accomplish on whatever's left at the time. I eventually want to put together at least one other costume at some point (as yet undetermined) so there's always that.

For the inner tunic, I am torn. I was not pleased with the dickey I made originally, which was basically a cut of fabric wrapped around my neck with some velcro. It came undone quite easily and was not that great of a buffer for the outer tunic. I was looking into perhaps a mock turtleneck like under armor or something that would have a cooling effect. I checked the actual under armor site but they didn't have any warm weather mocks in a dark brown/burgundy, which would be preferred. Any suggestions there would be appreciated.

I am planning to order a mystikmerchant robe, hopefully this summer (Just realized they may get back-ordered before CVI so I may want to order now). I think they've been recommended around the RL Jedi boards I had read. I really like the look of those robes and the material seems nice. But I'd like to be approved/approvable without the robe, so I'm focusing on the above stuff first.

As for bringing the kid to CVI...yeah, it's going to be a tough call for me. I haven't seen any posts about preparations for CVI yet, maybe they're in an invisible forum area? What kind of time commitments or expectations would there be as far as RL participation? I know for the con as a whole, most panels are just not going to be doable for me; either the wait will be too long, or the panel itself will be too long and/or dry for him to sit through. I know there are kids activities that he will love, and looking at all the booths and costumes, etc. I guess I have some thinking to do.
gandalfbmg (Bart German)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The dickey's I've made are much better than that. They are a collar made just like they're made for the outter tunic, and then they tie around the back (I call mine the manziere).

Underarmor is a tough one... I was looking for brown a while back for Obi-Wan Clone Wars microseries 1, and it's hard to fine, let alone in my size, and no telling if it's mock turtleneck or not. The good news is there are 'off brand' now, like Old Navy (which I haven't checked out yet).

There is a CVI event dedicated forum, but it's for full members only. I haven't really paid THAT much attention yet myself, but if we do what we did at CV, it should be a pretty huge and awesome 'set' (not just booth) for RL Smile

I'll have to work with 'the boss' to figure out when the next prop night will be. Not this upcoming two-three weekends for sure.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
gandalfbmg (Bart German)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 2:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I realized you mentioned boots and I missed that. Here's a link to quick, cheap boots:
http://www.911costumes.com/ -- click Men's Shoes, item 1404BN

These were my first boots -- not too comfortable, and not the highest quality materials, but if you only use them for costuming and get a pair of gel inserts, they can't be beat for the price...

In fact, if you get a pair I just might join you and share/split the shipping if it would make it any cheaper that way?

GsWookie (Sarah German)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 2:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Donald! I can't wait for you to troop with us! With Easter coming up soon and then we're going to Branson on April 14-15th bu I think after that we'd be ready to do a prop afternoon/evening. Do you think you'd be ready to work on stuff by then? ie - have materials and such purchased to bring/work with?
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 3:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GsWookie wrote:
Hi Donald! I can't wait for you to troop with us! With Easter coming up soon and then we're going to Branson on April 14-15th bu I think after that we'd be ready to do a prop afternoon/evening. Do you think you'd be ready to work on stuff by then? ie - have materials and such purchased to bring/work with?

Per your suggestion: Donald would the evening of April 28 work for you to have a prop night? That's what we're thinking it'll be...

dones (Donald Salsbury)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, I actually already ordered my boots from that site before I saw your post. With shipping it was $50-something for the pair, and they'll be here Friday, which is kinda nice. Certainly beats the other prices I had been finding for real leather.

I'll check out Old Navy for a mock. It's definitely off-season for them, so I'm not optimistic, but you never know. If not I'll be looking to make one of your dickies (though I prefer the term "bro" to "manziere"!).

My work schedule may be quite unpredictable for the foreseeable future, but currently I'm supposed to work April 28 until 5:45 in Olathe. Assuming that doesn't change, I could get to your house near the airport by 6:30 or 7. Let me know if that would be too late a start for working on the tabards and/or under tunic. I'll try to take some clear photos this weekend to show what the current tabards look like. Then we can determine whether they can be salvaged or if I should get new material for them.
dones (Donald Salsbury)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zazarus wrote:
I can chime in on the leather part and building belts. LOL I think I did two jedi belts so far this year. Any questions you might have feel free to ask. You are in the KC area so its not an issue for get together on costuming work. And Welcome to the forums.

Dave, how do you make your Jedi belts? I've seen tutorials like this one:
http://www.padawansguide.com/eric_belt.shtml
That has the larger belt simply overlap with a loop in back, and the operating buckle is on the back of the small belt. I've also seen somewhere (can't find a link) where they put a large quick-release plastic buckle on the larger belt, covered it with the loop in back, and somehow made the smaller belt terminate on either side of that large buckle, and is just affixed to the larger belt. Or do you do something different still?
Zazarus (David Scheffner)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are several ways to do it, I think I have done most of them at some point. My sith belt has two buckles in the back that can be adjusted I did one this year that the belt is held by the small belt with a stud in the back and holes in the small belt. It really comes down to the belt I'm working on, what I have in equipment for that belt and, if I'm making it for someone, what are they looking at for the belt closure.
gandalfbmg (Bart German)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dones wrote:
Sorry, I actually already ordered my boots from that site before I saw your post. With shipping it was $50-something for the pair, and they'll be here Friday, which is kinda nice. Certainly beats the other prices I had been finding for real leather.

I'll check out Old Navy for a mock. It's definitely off-season for them, so I'm not optimistic, but you never know. If not I'll be looking to make one of your dickies (though I prefer the term "bro" to "manziere"!).

My work schedule may be quite unpredictable for the foreseeable future, but currently I'm supposed to work April 28 until 5:45 in Olathe. Assuming that doesn't change, I could get to your house near the airport by 6:30 or 7. Let me know if that would be too late a start for working on the tabards and/or under tunic. I'll try to take some clear photos this weekend to show what the current tabards look like. Then we can determine whether they can be salvaged or if I should get new material for them.

Try the outlet stores (both Under Armor or Old Navy), as they may have stuff that's not as in season...

As for the time, I'm sure we'll be going then. I would start early, but if you get there later I'll be able to focus on other stuff beforehand anyway. There's a chance I may be helping anothr Jedi that day. I may have to see if someone has a second sewing machine....

Oh, and on the tabbards... you can always make them smaller (provided you can rip the seams without tearing them up too bad) but not add back on...

GsWookie (Sarah German)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try Old Navy online too for out of season stuff....
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

redoing tabbards depends on how they are made, I prefer the tube and iron method. By what I mean it two layers, sew inside out and then flip iron and sew up the open edge. this is an easy to to not leave a hemline that you might see and for making them thinner is easy, just seam rip the end flip back inside out and sew the new line cut the extra off. Flip, iron and sew the hole again. Although I will admit that seems easy to me, but then again I just did a rebel pilot vest too and didn't pull my hair out. LOL
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Rebel Bases N. America -> Dantooine Base All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: