About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=5d10888e470196a5a517eae51bd3d74bMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Han Solo Boots
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Han Solo and Other Smugglers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sand8690 ()

Medals: None

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apparently the photos didn't post the way I wanted them to...
Indiana ()

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I contacted Alex about a pair of boots, but unfortunately he said he only had calf size 15.7 inches - I'm a 16.5 at least. Which is a shame as I would have gone for these.

Does anyone else have a decent priced (on a budget) Solo boot's source please?
Havok69 ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

l wouldn't count them out yet; you can stretch the boots if they are real leather. Also, a local cobbler can put in extensions in the back to allow for a wider calf. Those strips of leather you see on the back of the boots in the photo are just that:

Just call around and see what a local cobbler would charge to modify the boot, it shouldn't be that expensive.
jdyyz ()

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was going to order from Front of Russia, but they don't accept PayPal and there is no way to protect yourself. If you look around at some of the re-enactment sites, there are some less-than-favourable reviews of that seller. Items not showing up, whole orders being paid for and never arriving and other such horror stories. Given that, I decided to opt for paying a bit more, but having more of a guarantee that I would receive my boots.

I went with Ebay and this seller, who has very nice boots. Just make sure you get the sizing right, as they don't match European sizing. Her sizing estimates are about bang on, as I went with size 44 Rus/12 USA and they fit perfectly (well, the calves are tight, but the boot fits perfectly on my feet).

Here is the Ebay Store: http://stores.ebay.ca/ingrydamarket
Corellian Scoundrel (Steven Umholtz)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After a failed experience with some genuine East German jack boots (you're right...they're too short!), I went looking for an inexpensive alternative and found an acceptable pair from www.crazyhorsetack.com called the Dafna Challenger.

http://www.crazyhorsetack.com/stshbodechme.html

These also are similar to the Dafna Challenger and closer to the price I paid for mine:
http://www.crazyhorsetack.com/sytashbodeco1.html

These are synthetic boots and are a tiny bit higher on the outer part of the boot as most riding boots are. However, it isn't really noticable once you have them on. They are VERY comfortable and lined on the inside. My only complaint is that they don't breathe well (but what boots do?) and your legs and feet will probably sweat on long troops.
They DO have the double seam up the back of the boot. The boots are not PERFECT but in my honest opinion, look better than a lot of boots that I've seen out there that people are wearing. If you're looking for perfection, get some of the REALLY expensive boots. I realize that a lot of us can't afford to spend the money for those boots, so for a cheap alternative that still looks good...I've had great luck with these. I've actually received a number of compliments about them!
Just throwin' my 2 cents in... Smile

Here's a pic:

STAR-WARS-FREAK-JPB (JEFFREY BUHOLTZ)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 2:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Corellian Scoundrel wrote:
After a failed experience with some genuine East German jack boots (you're right...they're too short!), I went looking for an inexpensive alternative and found an acceptable pair from www.crazyhorsetack.com called the Dafna Challenger.

http://www.crazyhorsetack.com/stshbodechme.html

These also are similar to the Dafna Challenger and closer to the price I paid for mine:
http://www.crazyhorsetack.com/sytashbodeco1.html

How tall are these boots? 17" ? I have East German Officer Boots that are not tall enough. These look like a great cheap alternative until I can get a leather pair tall enough.
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 3:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like the Derbys are 18" boots with the larger sizes being slightly taller.
Charybdis (Al d L.)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to have a pair of these boots way back when. Although I sold them before I ever got into costuming Han Solo.

Of course, it all depends on how tall you are. If you are a bit on the shorter side like I am, then those were just a bit too tall for me and they would kill the back of my knees.

I ended up with a pair of 16" jackboots that look pretty good on me and are relatively comfortable and work well for Han Solo...just be careful because jackboots can come in the 14" shorter style as well. Not sure how I got the taller ones, but I was lucky I did!

RL member since 2006
Blue Ridge Base member
Nexus Temple - member
Docking Bay 94 - member
Corellian Scoundrel (Steven Umholtz)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

STAR-WARS-FREAK-JPB wrote:
How tall are these boots? 17" ? I have East German Officer Boots that are not tall enough. These look like a great cheap alternative until I can get a leather pair tall enough.

I am 6' 4" tall and wear size 12 boots. These measure 19" tall from the bottom of the heel (floor) to the top of the boot.

I also, plan on spending the coin and getting a very nice, accurate, leather pair eventually, but these work great for now.
Risu ()

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey everybody, I just signed up here to get some more specific advice than I was able to get over at the RPF.

I was wondering if anybody has dealt with Alex at Front of Russia lately? Specifically for the tall boots? I read some reviews from a couple years ago where some people ordered stuff that had to be custom made and he took their money and ran. For the money, their boots are a killer deal, I actually owned a pair a couple years ago I got on ebay, but I had to sell them to pay the bills. I'm looking to reassemble the costume now, and Alex says he has my size in stock, but since the money is gone once you send it I wanted to see if anybody has had recent dealings with him before taking the risk.
CaptSolo77 (Brian)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Risu,

I got my boots from Alex probably a year and a half ago. He had great communication, and shipped the boot quickly. I too had concerns about the Western Union, but the transaction was great, at least in my case. I would recommend him.

I would say, though, I'm now looking to replace my boots. I'm 6'4" and the boots I got from Alex are just under 17" high, not quite tall enough. I very desperately want a pair from Todd's Costumes, but have been waiting since DECEMBER for him to have them in my size. His run closer to 20" high though, so would be a much better fit for me.

Hope that helps.

CaptSolo77
Nikkos Khann (Conley Nichols)
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

Medals: 3 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 2)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CaptSolo77 wrote:
Hi Risu,

I got my boots from Alex probably a year and a half ago. He had great communication, and shipped the boot quickly. I too had concerns about the Western Union, but the transaction was great, at least in my case. I would recommend him.

I would say, though, I'm now looking to replace my boots. I'm 6'4" and the boots I got from Alex are just under 17" high, not quite tall enough. I very desperately want a pair from Todd's Costumes, but have been waiting since DECEMBER for him to have them in my size. His run closer to 20" high though, so would be a much better fit for me.

Hope that helps.

CaptSolo77

Hey, what size are they! I am looking for some.

'I've got a bad feeling about this!'
Docking Bay 94 Commanding Officer 2011-2014
Comlink Admin - Fringe LCJ,
Charter Committee
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Blair (Vlastimil Sprta)
Lion Base CO
Lion Base CO

Medals: 4 (View more...)
Gold Star (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi ... I have interesting source for boots ... one of local "boot maker" created for me custom Han Solo boots ...

http://www.boty-alanky.cz/

http://www.boty-alanky.cz/cs/e-shop/boty-alankycz/krojove-boty/p-02:25/

He can do any leather boots variation you want ... and price is very good (mine Han Solo pair cost around 200-250$) - those boots are done specifically for each foot ... and after first trooping in those boots, I must say, it is very nice co have boots which were designed for your foot Very Happy

ps: he created them for me during 14 day ... which is awesome time for this kind of manual work ...

Lion Base Commanding Officer | Docking Bay 94 Detachment Executive Officer
CaptSolo77 (Brian)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Blair,

Really interesting possibility...How tall are these boots from the floor to the top of the boot shaft? I'm looking for something 19" to 20" high.
Blair (Vlastimil Sprta)
Lion Base CO
Lion Base CO

Medals: 4 (View more...)
Boston Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 5:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CaptSolo77 wrote:
Hi Blair,

Really interesting possibility...How tall are these boots from the floor to the top of the boot shaft? I'm looking for something 19" to 20" high.

He can made them high as you want Smile ...

I made mine little bit under knee ...

ps: I am on photo as kiffar jedi Wink ...
ps2: for me this was only solution, because I have bigger calf ... and I need custom boot for reasonable price ...

Lion Base Commanding Officer | Docking Bay 94 Detachment Executive Officer
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Han Solo and Other Smugglers All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: