About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=69681c9cb6b2db75c556abcff7fd12ffMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Endor donuts...where do we go from here...
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Alliance Infantry Detachment -> Return of the Jedi
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Obey Wann (William Blackburn)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Colorado Wildfires 2012 Relief Award (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

6 of one, half a dozen of another.

All I know is that I had 4 halves of kits that sat for years. Personally, I'd rather have a donut that all I have to do is cut 2 holes to fit, then paint. If you go with a 2-part one, you have to cut, fit, glue, reinforce, make seamless, then paint. Honestly, my clone builds were easier.

Some folks were able to get those to work, many didn't --I was part of 2 separate mass-purchases (with 2 different groups of people), and I think maybe 2 donuts ever got successfully built out of about 20 purchased.

Different strokes for different folks.

If someone wants to produce 2-part vac-formed donut kits, please do so --with my blessings and encouragement. If folks want rotocast ones, let me know.

I should have more info tonight regarding Bon Do's molds.

DroidWelder ()

Medals: 2 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Obey Wann wrote:
6 of one, half a dozen of another.

All I know is that I had 4 halves of kits that sat for years. Personally, I'd rather have a donut that all I have to do is cut 2 holes to fit, then paint. If you go with a 2-part one, you have to cut, fit, glue, reinforce, make seamless, then paint. Honestly, my clone builds were easier.

Some folks were able to get those to work, many didn't --I was part of 2 separate mass-purchases (with 2 different groups of people), and I think maybe 2 donuts ever got successfully built out of about 20 purchased.

Different strokes for different folks.

If someone wants to produce 2-part vac-formed donut kits, please do so --with my blessings and encouragement. If folks want rotocast ones, let me know.

I should have more info tonight regarding Bon Do's molds.

Well, I am going ahead as planned with a 2 part vac-formed donut.
I'm serious. I am about three weeks away from producing helmets.

Why it's taking me so long is that I am making the molds so that the pulled pieces will actually fit together properly! I also intend to sell the donut halves already assembled, so all that needs to be done by the buyer is cut the holes on top and bottom to fit your head/soft helmet, and then paint.

I've assembled a couple of the TK-560 kits for other local members and while the fit between the two halves were close, they were not exact and it was a real pain to fill the gaps. One of them was extra thin plastic which made it more difficult to assemble and I will not be using plastic that thin.

My donuts will definitely cost more than Jim's but they will be high quality, durable, and hopefully more accurate looking than most other donuts out there. And large enough to fit most everyone.

If you've seen my pilot chest boxes, you know that what you get from me will be top notch!

David L.
Obey Wann (William Blackburn)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm glad to hear that, David. I really am!!!! We need suppliers for this stuff.

Schph Gochi (Phyllis Schulte)
Nar Shaddaa Base XO
Nar Shaddaa Base XO

Medals: 11 (View more...)
Colorado Wildfires 2012 Relief Award (Amount: 2)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

just for the record...
out of the 5 donuts I had in my possesion at one time..
the donut I went with is a TK560 front/back...
and another of our NSB members made the other front/back I had (I had bought two)...

I used a real AN-H-15 with the visor mounted to my donut..
and I sewed Crix's soft helmet from scratch and mounted his visor to the soft helmet..

where they were a bit tricky to assemble...
they really did give you a lot to work with in the fit department on the front/back models..
but as you all noted...
if they don't get built....
then that is not good either...

http://livefromthegalaxyfarfaraway.blogspot.com/

Last edited by Schph Gochi (Phyllis Schulte) on Fri Mar 16, 2012 2:03 pm; edited 2 times in total
Mac Bragg ()
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

Medals: None

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaveL - are you splitting it top and bottom, or front/back?

Droid Wranglers (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mac Bragg wrote:
DaveL - are you splitting it top and bottom, or front/back?

I had planned on splitting it top/bottom like the TK-560 donut that I have access to for reference.
However, I think it may be easier to finish the mold in one complete piece and then just cut it down the center with a bandsaw making it a front/back version. (of course adding scab pieces to each mold for excess plastic to trim off)

Getting the top and bottom molds built individually so that the finished pulls will align perfectly is proving a bit tricky. (thus why it's taken me so long to finish these things)

If people would prefer the front/back version, I can certainly do it that way without any issues that I can think of.

David L.
Delpa Gival (Patrick Delieto)
Echo Base CO
Echo Base CO

Medals: 5 (View more...)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 7:56 pm    Post subject: Donut Reply with quote

I am trying to find the post I saw where the donut was made from a planter. Beware of Costume Bay.It seems only the Jumpsuits they sell are legion and 501st approved.
Mac Bragg ()
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're not too far down the design/tooling stage, a couple of advantages for the "Fore and Aft" route:

1. Much easier to get the joins aligned - essemntially a box shape instead of trying to get a perfect match around a circle. Imagine gluing two soccer ball halves together.

2. If the break is around the center of the ear, it could be sized to fit by cutting the ends of one half as needed.

I bought my resin donut a few years ago (maybe ebay?) and to get it on my fat head, there are places around the bottom lip that I had to cut down to barely 1/8" left. And then it still barely covers the top curve of the earphones.
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

Medals: 3 (View more...)
Gold Star (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Make sue the donut covers the top of the ears...David will come through for us! He's done several impressive builds.

Former BSN Admid.
Delpa Gival (Patrick Delieto)
Echo Base CO
Echo Base CO

Medals: 5 (View more...)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 2:02 am    Post subject: donut Reply with quote

OK thanks
Nar Shaddaa Base XO
Nar Shaddaa Base XO

CVI Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 9:48 am    Post subject: Re: Donut Reply with quote

Delpa Gival wrote:
I am trying to find the post I saw where the donut was made from a planter. Beware of Costume Bay.It seems only the Jumpsuits they sell are legion and 501st approved.

The file for the donut made from a planter is here (if you are a member of the Yahoo Group):

http://f1.grp.yahoofs.com/v1/kFJkT4X57AkLPSLrzqiRmIoRvVaVMmfYzrYIQcwUweU7GV3dCDuOE5lXefGAzO4MvfozayGo3L2eUcDY8aVhrA/Donut%20option

Mac Bragg ()
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 4:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Donut Reply with quote

Delpa Gival wrote:
Beware of Costume Bay.It seems only the Jumpsuits they sell are legion and 501st approved.

At the moment, they are only offering them in black. The chest pockets/seams are not accurate. The seams should run at a slight angle that narrows at the waist and the pockets should be a part of the seams.

We now return to our scheduled topic... Laughing

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 3:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've posted an Interest thread in the Costume & Prop Sale Forum to guage how many Endor Donut helmets that I need to make.
Please register in that thread under the most appropriate option for you.
If you do not have access to the Emporium section, you may PM me if you intend to get a donut from me.

Thanks!
David L.
Nar Shaddaa Base XO
Nar Shaddaa Base XO

Rebels 4 Japan (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK folks...
lets show David some love...

Very Happy

I will also send out a special notice at the Endor Bunker looking for interested parties.

StudioCreations ()

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll throw my hat into the Endor Donut Ring for the fans too. I've been working on modified blueprints for the Endor Donut for a while, and now that my RFT Helmet Project is wrapping up, I can concentrate on something new.

Give me 3-4 weeks to fabricate a vacuum buck for the donut. I'll probably go with a Left/Right style assembly method as I have found problems with the Front/Back and the Top/bottom mold designs in the past.

I'll probably use a smooth/smooth .060 guage ABS plastic for my final material. I would use styrene, but ABS slides off the molds easier for me, and that means faster turn around on the vactable and that keeps costs down.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Alliance Infantry Detachment -> Return of the Jedi All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: