About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=89a2d23b86af3c120b7044085e3d67a2Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Endor donuts...where do we go from here...
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Alliance Infantry Detachment -> Return of the Jedi
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Schph Gochi (Phyllis Schulte)
Nar Shaddaa Base XO
Nar Shaddaa Base XO

Medals: 11 (View more...)
Rebels 4 Japan (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 10:35 am    Post subject: Endor donuts...where do we go from here... Reply with quote

It is no secret that we have no supplier anymore for the Endor hard donuts..
and..
most of the new applicants have gone with the Costume Base donuts...

I think we all can agree that these donuts are NOT ideal...
but right now, aside from making your own...
they are all that there is..

For those not familiar:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ENDOR-HELMET-PILOT-CAP-soldier-aviator-star-wars-NEW-/360307942551?pt=US_Costumes&var=&hash=item92af494fd6

In my opinion, these hard donuts are just way too tall...and not shaped correctly...

The soft donut, where again, not great, it does have some "flashes of brilliance"....
note that the top does have box pleats...which is a real pain in the butt to do...but they are rather sloppily done...

also..
visor is mounted to the soft helmet rather than the donut..
which I am ok with when done correctly.....or worn correctly...

My question goes out to those who dabble in plastic...

Can one of these hard donuts effectively be cut down and put back together again?

I am tempted to order one and try to cut it down....a tight budget prevents me from doing that right now...

Has anyone that bought one of these donut considered that?

Does anyone know a mold maker...or someone who (like TK560) would be willing to take on a run?

I have had one gentleman contact me about doing a run...but so far I have not seen any results...
and
in the meantime, new recruits are buying the CB units...

http://livefromthegalaxyfarfaraway.blogspot.com/
KA-513 ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depending on the material they used(hopefully not 1mm PVC), they can be cut down and remade. The trick is reenforcing the joint from behind and getting a smooth hidden seam.

It might also be possible to take a pattern off of an existing accurate doughnut and create a tutorial on how to make one from scratch with supplies from a hobby shop. That way we don't have to worry about who's supplying the doughnuts falling behind and/or incommunicado. Would it be tricky and require some working knowledge of armour building? Yup. Would it work? Most likely.

Also, perhaps Mon Cal might be interested in something like this?

They came to fight for glory in the thousands.
Young men with their dreams.
They died before the guns in the hundreds.
A book of faded pictures, broken dreams.
Where are they now? The broken heroes.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Obey Wann (William Blackburn)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Colorado Wildfires 2012 Relief Award (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You do have a supplier: Mountain Princess for the soft parts, and her husband, Bon Do make the hard parts --single piece, rotocast donuts.

They make great stuff.

Also, we might be close to having a supplier for the rifle. Cool

Nar Shaddaa Base XO
Nar Shaddaa Base XO

Celebration Europe 2 (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is not the soft helmet that I am concerned about..

I pm'd her about the hard donut....and making an "ad" for them...(as I did for the soft parts)

and got no response..

also..
there is a problem with those donuts
and that is

they are round...

the human skull is not round...

one of the local members here did order the hard donut..
and
suffice it to say that I spent hours grinding and cutting to get it to fit...
I had to remove all of the lip on the donut to where the integrity of the donut is now questionable..
and had to remove the visor from the donut completely because it took up too much "front to back" room...the visor is now attached to the soft helmet..

The dounut was indeed nice...but...
if one can't get anywhere near actually putting it on one's head..
then..
not so good..

Wink

here is what I mean..

the donut on the left is my TK560 - note the shape..
the one on the right was a "round" job prototype ...
I gave the round one away and the person who has it has the same problem of "front to back" room and her head is not that large...

take a look at any skull...our skulls are not round..
they are longer front to back..

bradleyco21 ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's funny, this is the first I have heard of anyone's not fitting and I hadn't recieved any complaints. Mine as well as several others' fit fine. It doesn't have to be oblong, the only crucial part, is that the top hole fits at the crown of the head (which coincidentally IS round), The bottom hole is supposed to come over the top of the ears somewhat. With the softcap in place, especially with the soft earcups, a snug and secure fit is achieved. Maybe some folks just have larger heads. Mine is pretty large. But alas, I have stopped making these anyway. So go ahead, anyone who thinks that they can do any better.
Nar Shaddaa Base XO
Nar Shaddaa Base XO

Gold Star (Amount: 2)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did say that the donuts were well made...and nice..
they just don't fit everyone and the other donut in the photo was made by someone else..
and since it is round..
that person with a smaller head had a similar problem.

The member didn't want to complain.
and send it back etc...
so he asked me to try and fix it...
I did try to talk him into sending it back rather than have me cut away at it...but...water under the bridge..I should have not fixed it..

at any rate..I am sorry if you took the post the wrong way...
I meant it to say that round donuts do not fit everyone..
no matter who makes it..

I figured you had probably stopped making them anyway.., otherwise, I am sure I would have gotten a response to my inquiry about producing an "ad" for them..

Please note that I have always respected those who make things for others who can't...
and again..
your donuts were well made and nice looking....

TrooperPX (David Ramsay)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 3 (View more...)
2013 Christmas Toys for Tots Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The hard doughnuts from Costume Base are metal. They are very sturdy. If someone knows how to braise or tack-weld thin metal (and not slag-burn through) it could be possible to remove the bottom inset, cut down the height from the bottom, then trim and re-nest it.

I suppose it could also be reassembled with metal epoxy stuff. That's something I could explore, but not till after CVI... at the risk of FUBARing it.

Echo Base - Binghamton, NY
KA-513 ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How thin are we talking? .040"? .023"

I do know the JB Weld for metal is fairly sturdy, as long as it's metal to metal, and with enough buffing, you might be able to make the seam disappear. On the other hand, we might be more ahead to make a template and see about doing a few scratch-builds to see if that is a viable way to go.

They came to fight for glory in the thousands.
Young men with their dreams.
They died before the guns in the hundreds.
A book of faded pictures, broken dreams.
Where are they now? The broken heroes.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
GotWookiee (Matt Pfingsten)
Active Legion Member

Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A while back there was a nice build thread on a base's website (might have been Midwest Base, actually) where a member scratch-build their own donut using a plastic pot for plants and carving up pink or blue insulation foam and probably some bondo or epoxy. They sealed it up, painted it, and it looked pretty good.

Anyone remember who that was? It might be a good idea to try it and put together a tutorial showing how to scratch build.

If you want good donuts and the suppliers are no longer making them (and are unwilling to sell their molds), then it's the only option, really.

Whatever happened to Richie's Armor? I know they used to make a donut (and an Endor rifle cast off of a screen-used piece) way back when.
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 3:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't heard of RA making them.

I might buy the molds from Bon Do --if there is interest in them.

DroidWelder ()

Medals: 2 (View more...)
Droid Wranglers (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 5:33 am    Post subject: Re: Endor donuts...where do we go from here... Reply with quote

Schph Gochi wrote:
It is no secret that we have no supplier anymore for the Endor hard donuts..........

I have had one gentleman contact me about doing a run...but so far I have not seen any results...

That gentleman would be me. I have the molds for the donut about 2/3rds finished at this point. I've been really busy with work and other "life" issues recently, so I haven't been able to work on them at all lately. I expect things to slow down soon, and I will be back to work on the molds and should be ready to pull donuts in the next 3 or 4 weeks. I also just ordered plastic this morning, (not knowing this thread had been posted.) and expect that to arrive in about a week.

My donuts will be pulled using .090 HIPS and will be slightly larger than the TK-560 donuts. (the later top/bottom version. Phyllis' donut is an earlier front/back version.)

If there are any questions, please feel free to ask.
David L.
Nar Shaddaa Base XO
Nar Shaddaa Base XO

Colorado Wildfires 2012 Relief Award (Amount: 2)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GotWookiee wrote:
A while back there was a nice build thread on a base's website (might have been Midwest Base, actually) where a member scratch-build their own donut using a plastic pot for plants and carving up pink or blue insulation foam and probably some bondo or epoxy. They sealed it up, painted it, and it looked pretty good.

Anyone remember who that was?

That tutorial can be found at the Yahoo Group...

it was done by Charles Gray..
and yes...
it did look rather good...

Again..
my interst here is just to get something out to members....period. Out of all of the Yahoo Groups I have done, by far the largest is the Endor group...so there is clearly interest in doing the costume.

I can tell by the costumes coming through the judging queue that new people are showing up with the CB ones out of desperation....
thanks for the head up that they are metal Jim...

I printed out a photo of that CB donut.....and just on paper tried to figure out if they could be altered...
and...if you take a strip out of the middle to make them less high....and that will not work unless you are very adept at modifications...

I also have spoken to another person who used to make donuts awhile back (mainly for his own amusement) and offered to buy his molds...also got nowhere on that.

LizardJedi (Liz Hyde)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I could do vac-pulls if I had a mold...

The problem is getting the mold in the first place.

I know how I could do it, its just a matter of having the time to knock it out...

The opposite of War isn't Peace, its Creation
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought two different vac-formed ones, from two different makers. One was a top/bottom, the other was a front/back. I never could get them to work, which is why I went with rotocast.

I will see Dan tonight and see what can be done. I'll also look into what we have to do to make a more oval master.

LizardJedi (Liz Hyde)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah the quality of the pull has a lot to do with how well it can be put together. One reason I like the front/back is there are less seams to deal with. Then again if you have to make it bigger/smaller you have to do more work

Much lighter than rotocast though.

The opposite of War isn't Peace, its Creation
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Alliance Infantry Detachment -> Return of the Jedi All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: